State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GTx10
Regular

Re: State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

Post by GTx10 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Could my thread help? I am (slowly) reveiwing all of Dragon Ball by comparing any differences between the JPN version, Uncut Funi Dub, and (now) the English Viz 3-1 Manga. Things like lines differences, additions within the Anime, (aka filler) Z vs Kai/The Final Chapters and I'll jump into the Super Anime and Manga. I would love to have my work cemented within the overall Dragon Ball fandom.
Here is the thread:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31208

Please let me know if this is helpful to the cause.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:58 pm

We will be using several people's notes on sub/dub/manga differences, including our own notes, so I'll keep yours in mind. Thanks!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:30 am

Much thanks to Terez for providing a nice overview of where we're at. It's super difficult for me, but I'm really trying to step back and give people the chance to be the awesome "product managers," so to speak, that I know they are and that I specifically asked them to come be! Being an individual contributor for once is kinda nice, and it's incredibly satisfying to peep on all the work everyone else is dropping there.

The people we have working right now are people that already have a demonstrated history of documentation, language, and time management skills in addition to their base fandom. Yes, right now it's definitely a bit of "friends-only club," but that has expanded out a bit with some fresh blood, and that's pretty great. I know there's a lot of enthusiasm from a lot of people out there, but I do want to really drive home the fact that unless your interest is at the level of "I'm looking to dedicate a non-insignificant portion of my time to this project and I have very specific skill sets that are applicable to this project and I'm simultaneously someone who understands writing, the fact that I'm doing this for free, and that I'm going to be heavily but warmly criticized and corrected every step of the way"... this probably isn't for you.

(If you are someone that all of the above applies to and we somehow don't already know who you are, please do let us know and show us what you've seemingly built in complete secret!)

I say this all not as a deterrent, but hopefully as something that will just make you further excited for what's to come. It's a huge undertaking, but it's something that I truly believe only we can do the way that Dragon Ball fans (and, Hell, the product itself) actually deserve(s). If you have any questions (even if it's just "Have you thought about _____?"), feel free to ask. Just know that we might not be able to respond for any number of reasons (we haven't considered it yet, we're actively working on it and haven't figured it out yet, we don't want to spoil some surprises, etc.). Just know, as I noted above, this is definitely a Kanzenshuu-style project, so we're working on our own timeframe. That means it'll be done when it's done... which means it's never actually going to be done, but it'll be ready when it's ready, you'll know as soon as we do when that is, and it's being created a la the website-proper with future viability, maintenance, and longevity in mind.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The people we have working right now are people that already have a demonstrated history of documentation, language, and time management skills in addition to their base fandom. Yes, right now it's definitely a bit of "friends-only club," but that has expanded out a bit with some fresh blood, and that's pretty great. I know there's a lot of enthusiasm from a lot of people out there, but I do want to really drive home the fact that unless your interest is at the level of "I'm looking to dedicate a non-insignificant portion of my time to this project and I have very specific skill sets that are applicable to this project and I'm simultaneously someone who understands writing, the fact that I'm doing this for free, and that I'm going to be heavily but warmly criticized and corrected every step of the way"... this probably isn't for you.

(If you are someone that all of the above applies to and we somehow don't already know who you are, please do let us know and show us what you've seemingly built in complete secret!)
I am constantly running into people who have done massive fandom work and I didn't already know who they were, but I am a relative noob in the mainstream DB fandom so I guess that's not surprising. When it comes to people like datwerg for example (who I discovered relatively recently), I don't expect them to ever do actual Wiki work, in the same way I don't expect our translators to do actual Wiki work; we are just using the work they have done over the years to build this thing, and maybe pestering them with questions.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:18 am

I really wish I could help out with the wiki but I don't think I would have the time or ability to do it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

theusjshjdhdne

Post by theusjshjdhdne » Mon May 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Will the Kanzenshuu Wiki have a page on how Kanzenshuu translates the names (an explanation of the website’s style guide)? I was reading the One Piece Wiki and they had something similar with a page on their process for determining name romanizations.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 am

Yes, we're including name transliteration explanations on each character's individual article, and comparisons against other official spellings where applicable.

Here's one that I happen to know is mostly complete and reflects what we're doing ('cuz... uhh... I'm the one who wrote it!):

:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Heya there! Uhh... been a while...?!

If you follow @kanzenshuu on Twitter, you may have noticed a few links being shared recently. While we are not quite ready for a full wiki launch (or even what we keep calling our "soft-launch" which itself I think we're all too chicken to really define what the heck that even means for ourselves), we have been making a few select pages public. Like, honest-to-goodness you can just look at the live wiki page kind of public.

Here are the pages we have currently made live:
Please keep in mind that, much like other wikis you see out there online, all pages are "living" pages and are not necessarily finalized. The ones we have shared are fairly content-complete, but we of course reserve the right to continue editing! These just happen to be some pretty darn good examples of what we have in mind for our wiki, and should pretty immediately show how we're setting ourselves apart from other documentation projects out there. It might even tease some of the specific grander vision ideas we have...

(Beyond the information itself, please consider that formatting, particularly on mobile, is not yet finalized, and we will be making updates in that area. That being said, while we will of course take your feedback on that if you have any, that's not necessarily something to get hung up on at the moment.)

It may appear from a casual, public view that work here at Kanzenshuu has stalled out for the last few months... but that just couldn't be further from the truth! There's so much going on, there's so much excitement behind the scenes, and it's getting a bit difficult to keep it to ourselves.

I'll be frank in saying we just don't know yet when we're going to "launch" (again, without even knowing what that truly looks like yet). There are certain things we want to have in place before it all gets opened up, and even those plans may change. Just know that we work with an extremely long-term vision here at Kanzenshuu, and we operate in time frames of years, not months or weeks or days. We're in this for the long haul, if the last (more than?!) two decades aren't enough proof of that! Things will happen, they will be released, and it will be worth the wait.

So what do we need from you?

Right now? Just your support. Less for me, but more for the contributors that have been working behind-the-scenes for months and years now on a project that they can't show anyone. Contributors that work on this because they believe in it. Contributors that have quickly become amazing friends and comrades.

Soon? Maybe more you can do. Nothing to say right now, but if you've ever wanted to help, there will be ways.

(I didn't actually tell any of the dudes and dudettes that I was going to be posting this. If any of them want to chime in, they're absolutely more than welcome to. I don't mean to speak for everyone, but I'm pulling rank and sharing because I'm too damn excited looking at what everyone's been writing.)

(We're going to more regularly be sharing public wiki page links. I will either update this post and/or make additional replies when that happens.)

Happy to answer any questions you may have, but I think what I've written here already says a lot (in between the lines and otherwise)!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:32 pm

this is legitimately so exciting, i've always been interested in this, not even just because there's so much misinformation about the series online in the first place and something like this will help, but just like every bit of content on this site is very worthwhile (that new animation production guide is amazing). this is for sure a very important, and exciting step, and i can't wait to see what's in store down the line
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:40 pm

I will admit that I had lost hope. As you said, from a casual view, it seemed nothing was being done. So I apologize for having doubted you and everyone involved.
From what you've shown, it already looks far superior in quality to any other fan wiki database I've seen.
So, coming from me it probably won't mean much, but allow me to congratulate the efforts of every person involved in this project and you have my eternal gratitude, I have been waiting for something like this for years and I am eager to use it regularly.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:48 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd sort of assumed that was where you guys all were, since everything else had slowed to a bit of a halt - as big of a project as the wiki is, there was no way it wouldn't absorb a good bit of you guys' lives. These few pages you've shown off look super clean and sleek, and are already really informative, so man - I cannot wait for the day this thing officially launches. I'm going to be spending way too much time absorbing all of the info present.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:58 pm

The thing hasn’t even fully launched yet, and I have already learned something I never noticed: every Capsule was numbered, and aside from the Time Machine (which was probably an exception to the rule) not a single vehicle shared the same number, and each new vehicle that appeared had an higher number than the one shown before (there’s sort of a progression?).

These wiki pages are incredibly well done. I can’t wait for more pages to release.

(By the way, if you ever need help finding/translating information regarding the Italian adaptation of Dragon Ball, or any other information about the franchise in Italy, feel free to hit me up. There are some names which were changed, like Oolong who became Oscar - to make an example - so maybe it could be of interest if you plan to also write up some “international” curiosities about the characters.
That is, of course, if you ever intend to touch upon information of Dragon Ball releases not in Japan or in the US)
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:05 am

Just popping back in to say congrats on the progress. Not really involved with the DB fandom anymore but I recognize what a huge deal this is. Like I remember talks about the wiki nearly 10 years ago. Can't even imagine the amount of work that's gone into it.

:thumbup:

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

The style of these lines in the capsule article:
“The expanded capsule can be shrunk again by pushing a button on the expanded object. For safe-keeping, capsules are often kept in a hard case when not in use”
is poor in my opinion, for several reasons:

1. The first sentence reads like something from an instruction manual. Changing “The” to “An” would help make the sentence sound more general. This paragraph frequently changes between using the singular, plural, definite, and indefinite for no apparent reason.

2. “Expanded” is used twice in the same sentence to describe the same thing. And “Expanded capsule” is an odd way to describe the thing to my ears, since presumably the capsule is just a shell, and it’s the guts inside the capsule that transform.

3. The second sentence uses a form of the word “keep” twice in quick succession, in the same meaning. Perhaps change “kept” to “held” or “stored.”

4. “Capsule” and “case” are not etymologically distinct (capsule just means little case) and they have many of the same sounds, which is a bad combo. Saying “capsules are kept in cases” has an air of awkwardness. There’s really no other way to express this thought, but perhaps upgrade capsule from a common noun to a proper one (Hoi Poi Capsule) in order to distract from the repetition of sounds and roots.

5. “A hard case” should be plural, since the article is not describing a single person’s usage of a capsules, but everybody’s usage of them.

6. “When not in use” is redundant; obviously they aren’t kept in hard cases while in use.

Maybe it should be

The An expanded object expanded from a capsule can be shrunk again by pushing a button on the expanded object it. For safe-keeping, unactivated Hoi Poi Capsules are often kept held in a hard cases when not in use.”

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:16 pm

What is the legality on making an encyclopedia for an IP your do not own the rights to?
I ask because I'd hate to see all of this work get trounced or brought up against the kanzenshuu team in litigation for copyright infringement.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:54 pm

There's no legal violation in just writing text (otherwise Wikipedia would have been striked long ago), the only trouble would come from using copyrighted materials (like promotional art, episode screenshots, manga panels, etc) without meeting the fair-use criterias.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

HimuraBenny

Post by HimuraBenny » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:52 pm

So there are fair use guidelines for this type of wiki? It just feels like a gargantuan project, so I'd assume there would be some legal hurdles to have to navigate.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:09 pm

(My most recent "I am not a lawyer, but here is what 'fair use' actually is" write-up is over in this thread.)

So hey there everyone!

Not only do we have one more page to share, but we actually have a nice lengthy podcast chat with a bunch of the folks actually working on the darn thing. Tune in to podcast episode 479 for all the deets, and stay tuned for more of these in the near future.

The latest page we're sharing "live" is for 2008's Sachie-chan GOOD!!, the first entry in the Galactic Patrol series.

Thank you for tuning in, reading, and providing feedback on the pages, contents, writing style, etc.!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:04 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:09 pm The latest page we're sharing "live" is for 2008's Sachie-chan GOOD!!, the first entry in the Galactic Patrol series.
Haven't had time to listen to the podcast episode, but...
Viz included the first 14 pages of Sachie-chan GOOD!! in their Shonen Jump Alpha Yearbook 2013, mailed to subscribers of the company's Shonen Jump Alpha digital manga service, in December 2012. The full chapter was subsequently made available to subscribers in their online account libraries.
I can't find any references to this service still running (or if the current Shonen Jump subscription service has superseded it... Though if it has, it doesn't seem that Sachi-chan GOOD!! is on there). Is Viz's translation of this chapter unavailable legally at the moment?
If so, I would suggest putting some reference to "This service is no longer running", or alternately, "This service was rebranded as [X], though without this chapter" or something.

No other notes, aside from that I didn't know anything about this thing before reading this article, so... I appreciate that this is one of the preview pages. :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm

If you were a subscriber at that exact time, it's still in your Viz account digital library. Same thing goes with the Shonen Jump weekly digital issues; those were "purchased" and you can still access them with your account, even though they don't still make that product. Sachie is not independently available in the digital vault service, no.

I'll try to find some way to make that more clear, but there will also be references/links/pages about how Viz's online accounts morphed throughout the wiki to go down a learning hole on. For example, I have this on the in-progress wiki page for Viz's Shonen Jump print magazine, as referenced during the episode:
Kanzenshuu Wiki wrote:The print magazine was succeeded by Viz's Shonen Jump Alpha online service[1], itself succeeded by a standard Weekly Shonen Jump online series[2], and itself succeeded by a "Digital Vault" online subscription.[3]
(With each of those linking to their respective pages, and the citations there being the official press announcements.)