State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

GTx10
Regular

Re: State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

Post by GTx10 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Could my thread help? I am (slowly) reveiwing all of Dragon Ball by comparing any differences between the JPN version, Uncut Funi Dub, and (now) the English Viz 3-1 Manga. Things like lines differences, additions within the Anime, (aka filler) Z vs Kai/The Final Chapters and I'll jump into the Super Anime and Manga. I would love to have my work cemented within the overall Dragon Ball fandom.
Here is the thread:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31208

Please let me know if this is helpful to the cause.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Terez
Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:58 pm

We will be using several people's notes on sub/dub/manga differences, including our own notes, so I'll keep yours in mind. Thanks!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:30 am

Much thanks to Terez for providing a nice overview of where we're at. It's super difficult for me, but I'm really trying to step back and give people the chance to be the awesome "product managers," so to speak, that I know they are and that I specifically asked them to come be! Being an individual contributor for once is kinda nice, and it's incredibly satisfying to peep on all the work everyone else is dropping there.

The people we have working right now are people that already have a demonstrated history of documentation, language, and time management skills in addition to their base fandom. Yes, right now it's definitely a bit of "friends-only club," but that has expanded out a bit with some fresh blood, and that's pretty great. I know there's a lot of enthusiasm from a lot of people out there, but I do want to really drive home the fact that unless your interest is at the level of "I'm looking to dedicate a non-insignificant portion of my time to this project and I have very specific skill sets that are applicable to this project and I'm simultaneously someone who understands writing, the fact that I'm doing this for free, and that I'm going to be heavily but warmly criticized and corrected every step of the way"... this probably isn't for you.

(If you are someone that all of the above applies to and we somehow don't already know who you are, please do let us know and show us what you've seemingly built in complete secret!)

I say this all not as a deterrent, but hopefully as something that will just make you further excited for what's to come. It's a huge undertaking, but it's something that I truly believe only we can do the way that Dragon Ball fans (and, Hell, the product itself) actually deserve(s). If you have any questions (even if it's just "Have you thought about _____?"), feel free to ask. Just know that we might not be able to respond for any number of reasons (we haven't considered it yet, we're actively working on it and haven't figured it out yet, we don't want to spoil some surprises, etc.). Just know, as I noted above, this is definitely a Kanzenshuu-style project, so we're working on our own timeframe. That means it'll be done when it's done... which means it's never actually going to be done, but it'll be ready when it's ready, you'll know as soon as we do when that is, and it's being created a la the website-proper with future viability, maintenance, and longevity in mind.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Terez
Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:32 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The people we have working right now are people that already have a demonstrated history of documentation, language, and time management skills in addition to their base fandom. Yes, right now it's definitely a bit of "friends-only club," but that has expanded out a bit with some fresh blood, and that's pretty great. I know there's a lot of enthusiasm from a lot of people out there, but I do want to really drive home the fact that unless your interest is at the level of "I'm looking to dedicate a non-insignificant portion of my time to this project and I have very specific skill sets that are applicable to this project and I'm simultaneously someone who understands writing, the fact that I'm doing this for free, and that I'm going to be heavily but warmly criticized and corrected every step of the way"... this probably isn't for you.

(If you are someone that all of the above applies to and we somehow don't already know who you are, please do let us know and show us what you've seemingly built in complete secret!)
I am constantly running into people who have done massive fandom work and I didn't already know who they were, but I am a relative noob in the mainstream DB fandom so I guess that's not surprising. When it comes to people like datwerg for example (who I discovered relatively recently), I don't expect them to ever do actual Wiki work, in the same way I don't expect our translators to do actual Wiki work; we are just using the work they have done over the years to build this thing, and maybe pestering them with questions.

majinwarman
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:18 am

I really wish I could help out with the wiki but I don't think I would have the time or ability to do it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

theusjshjdhdne

Post by theusjshjdhdne » Mon May 20, 2019 9:08 pm

Will the Kanzenshuu Wiki have a page on how Kanzenshuu translates the names (an explanation of the website’s style guide)? I was reading the One Piece Wiki and they had something similar with a page on their process for determining name romanizations.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 am

Yes, we're including name transliteration explanations on each character's individual article, and comparisons against other official spellings where applicable.

Here's one that I happen to know is mostly complete and reflects what we're doing ('cuz... uhh... I'm the one who wrote it!):

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::