What's Your Occupation?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

What's Your Occupation?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 am

I got bored and was browsing through old threads in this section, and discovered the old 'Occupations' thread...that hadn't been posted in since 2012. So since necro-posting is frowned upon, figured I'd just go ahead and make this new thread on the subject, since there's two years is a decently long time where a lot of us may have found ourselves in new positions since then.

That's definitely true in my case. I finally got fed up with the hotel room cleaning game (not to mention I wasn't making enough money for anything), so I finally started to job hunt again a couple of months ago. After not hearing back from a few places, I finally got hired at a local Conoco gas station as an attendant. It pays pretty decently, and I'm getting a good amount of hours for it (normally 25 or so a week, but that will be increasing again soon), despite only having to work Friday through Sunday normally. My job really only has three main parts - 1) pump gas for people and take their payment; 2) do the paperwork and lock-up at the end of the night, if I'm on the night schedule; and 3) babysit the place. There's actually a fair amount of time when I'm not doing anything, so...I'm essentially being paid to sit there and read. Or write. Or play my 2DS. Oh if only I got internet there...

But enough about me, what do you guys do for a living nowadays?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Ajay

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by Ajay » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:46 am

I did a lot of bits and bobs over the past few years before finally settling on what I really wanted to pursue.

Initially I did a lot of graphic design work - album covers, logos for both corporate and bands, web layouts etc. I really didn't enjoy working creatively under the guidance of someone else and so I dropped that entirely after a few years and pursued another hobby of mine - photography. The photography jobs didn't last particularly long honestly. That industry is really hard to get into unless you're going for wedding photography or any other type of easily marketable genre. I did some band and fashion stuff before packing it in. The money was too thinly spread and I just didn't have the drive for it anymore. Either way, my passion was primarily in film and it seemed like a natural move from still image to moving picture.

It's still a very hard industry to get into but it's very team based and works similarly to how any regular job does - start from the bottom and work your way up. It seemed like a far easier and consistent line of work than working freelance and entirely independently. I did a couple of jobs here and there with my biggest probably working in the sound booth for Dylan Moran's Yeah, Yeah show at the Hammersmith Apollo. It was pretty fun but as someone who really wanted to be writing and directing my own films, it wasn't the most creatively engaging job. After talking to Eric Fellner from Working Title, I was pretty much told that you can either learn on the job and just hope that you get given an opportunity or to give film school a go. Film school was supposed to serve as both a learning experience but also a way to build up your own film crew, make contacts, crowd fund your own stuff throughout and present your independent features at the various festivals throughout the year in hopes that one of many scouts there would pick it up and distribute it.

I lasted all of one month. I hated the school, the area, the people and I got severely depressed throughout that time and ultimately abandoned it. I felt like my passion just entirely dissipated and any drive I had was entirely gone. During the next couple of months while I was crippled with horrible social anxiety, my hobby of making video game reviews suddenly became more and more appealing as a full time job. With the free time and extra money I had, my production values shot up and I ended up signing on with Machinima Respawn as a content producer for their channel. They wanted a review show similar to what you see on IGN and Gamespot and they were willing to pay pretty good money for me to do it. I was over the moon, this was actually something I had total control of, it paid well and I got to do a combination of everything I loved - games, directing, writing, editing...everything.

Unfortunately, the company started restructuring their offices over in LA and the contact with their overseas employees went to absolute shit. My managers were laid-off and their email accounts were deleted without forwarding any mail to the new mangers or even letting us know who exactly we were meant to talk to. I went 6 months being owed a heck of a lot of money and it took constant nagging and angry emails to finally get them to pay me. I considered taking up a new contract with them and just hoping things smoothed over but having just been done one semester of Games Design at university, I felt like my time was better spent focusing on school and working on my own personal stuff in the time being.

So yeah, currently I'm at Stafford University doing Gameplay Design & Production. My goal coming out of this is to have a full understanding of the industry and to use my personal portfolio of video and written work to help land myself a job at one of the various news outlets for gaming. I currently do some work for KBMOD.com just to have a legitimate place to actually post my content. Fingers crossed it all works out in the long run!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:49 pm

I've been a freelance artist since I was 19. I've drawn mostly comics and worked on some websites (creating illustrations and such). Currently, I'm trying to get a stable job as a professional comic book artist and at least work on one title from month to month. I practice animation since it's another passion of mine and I would like work in the industry one day. My end goal in life is to become a successful adult artist like Erika Moen or Jess Fink.

Right now, I'm just a simple artist for hire.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:39 pm

I am a lecturer of American and Japanese history at a Kentucky university (I'll leave which one unnamed) , covering 1850-1950, while focusing on the Gilded Age and the Meiji Restoration. I'll be starting with my first classes in two weeks.

I am also currently working on my doctorate, which pretty much constitutes a job in and of itself :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:38 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I am a lecturer of American and Japanese history at a Kentucky university (I'll leave which one unnamed) , covering 1850-1950, while focusing on the Gilded Age and the Meiji Restoration.
Oh please tell me you use Kenshin in your lectures somehow. Pllleeeaasseee. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:12 am

My occupation is being a high school student in a special class where we do practically nothing. :D
Starting 11th Grade in a about a week.

What I want to be, though. Well, voice acting is one. I'm going to need practice, though. I'm currently around Funi's Sleeping Princess level of quality, though. :lol:

I'm also working on an original story that I want to turn into an anime, but I've only just started that.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:22 am

I never posted in the original occupations thread, so I suppose I should make up for that.

I have a bachelor degree in civil engineering and a masters degree in geotechnical engineering. After finishing up grad school at the end of 2009, I moved my family back to my hometown and eventually took a geotechnical/construction engineering position at an engineering and architecture consulting firm. I've been there for just over 4 years now and really enjoy it. I mostly work on state and federal projects, but overall it gives me a nice mix of being in the office and being out in the field.

At one point I used to do some very minimal freelance web design, and I mean minimal, but between running this mammoth of a website and my full-time job, I had to drop that. Besides, it doesn't exactly pay the bills unless you're fully committed to it. At the same time, I'll admit I've never formally taken a class in design or coding, but I think I do okay. On a personal level, I do sometimes find it odd that my professional life and hobby interests are often so different, yet I really enjoy both. Sometimes it's like I lead two lives, and also have two full-time jobs. But when you love what you do, I guess you convince yourself it's not that hard.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I am also currently working on my doctorate, which pretty much constitutes a job in and of itself
You can keep your doctorate, because a graduate degree was enough stress for me, so I can only imagine. :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:14 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I am a lecturer of American and Japanese history at a Kentucky university (I'll leave which one unnamed) , covering 1850-1950, while focusing on the Gilded Age and the Meiji Restoration.
Oh please tell me you use Kenshin in your lectures somehow. Pllleeeaasseee. :P
Well, I will say that watching Rurouni Kenshin back when I was a kid played a huge role in influencing what area of history to focus in. :P

A PowerPoint I have made up depicting the Meiji Restoration in popular culture shows a comparison of a supposed picture of Saito Hajime with how he appears in RK.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:41 am

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Theatre and for the past two years have worked as an entertainment technician on an ice skating show at a popular Florida theme park. Basically, that means I'm trained to do almost all the things behind the scenes that make the show run: operating spot lights, setting and placing props and scenery, and controlling the video effects used during the show. I help maintain the quality of the stage itself by driving and performing maintenance on the ice resurfacer and knowing how to repair the chemical lines that keep the ice frozen. I've also helped create video assets for other shows in our theatre, such as our Christmas shows, beauty pageants, and even a middle school graduation.

Sadly, I am a seasonal employee at present, which means that I am forced to take time off, and my season just ended, so, until I find something better, I have to make do with my other job, which is at a popular lingerie chain. I've been with this company for over three years, although it hasn't been my primary job in quite some time. It's a good company to work for, but I admit I've rather outgrown it. It doesn't pay enough to sustain me, and it's not very creatively or intellectually challenging. I guess I'm just burned out at this point, and while it does provide me with a wealth of fascinating stories to tell, I do get a bit weary having to justify my existence to a few of the more conservative customers who feel compelled to complain about my presence. Still, it does pump me up to think that I get to fight the good fight in breaking down gender roles and combating gender inequalities, even if in a small way.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

jpdbzrulz4sure
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by jpdbzrulz4sure » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:32 pm

For the past year, I've been working as a receiving associate for Sears. Me and the rest of the team unload merchandise from trucks, and process said merch, as well as general maintenance of the work area. It's an okay job. It can be pretty physically challenging, as we have to unload the trucks by hand, and have to have them emptied within 3 hours of the truck's arrival. The pay is minimum wage, which is okay for me at the moment, but outside the holiday season, I don't get too many hours, unfortunately. There is a new Costco being built in my area (where my old high school used to be), so I'm hoping I could eventually get a job there, with more hours, better pay, and better benefits.

As I've said in the previous occupations thread, in the past, I've worked as a concrete lab technician for a small concrete testing company that my dad works for, and as a material handler for a Goodwill outlet store.

As a concrete lab technician, my main things were documenting concrete samples that were collected from construction sites and preparing them for testing, which, depending on the type of sample, generally meant trimming sides to be perfectly flat, capping the sides with sulfur compound, among other things. This job paid pretty well at $11, with a couple small raises, the job was full-time, and I held it for a little over 3 years. Unfortunately, the recession hit, the construction industry declined, and several people (myself included) were laid off.

As for my job at the Goodwill outlet, not a whole lot to say. I basically just sorted through a bunch of junk, separating garbage from salvage and salable goods. Like my current job, the pay was minimum wage (which was less at the time than it is now), but at least the hours were better. Unfortunately, the job was seasonal, and only lasted a little over 2 months.

On the side, a friend of my mom has me do some odd jobs a couple times a week, such as walking her dog, and helping out with work in her yard, for a little extra cash. Just thought I'd mention it.
-Joey

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:50 pm

English Lit and Letters major, just graduated in May. After initially searching for the rarer-but-out-there undergraduate library job, I cheated the application process and got into a Sprout's Farmers Market store opening later this month about fifteen minutes away, and kept myself occupied in the meantime doing (well-paying) house restoration work with a Church member who is a divorce/bankruptcy lawyer by weekday, second-generation landlord by weekend. Actually just finished my last job as an unemployed person today. Assembling the materials to apply to the local branch of a library master program that starts in January; I've got undergraduate intern experience and my earlier job searching days made it pretty clear that there are jobs (just few that I'm qualified for at present!) so something is going to come of that.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:40 am

I work for FedEx Ground. You'd be better pray I don't drop your Dragon Ball packages. :P
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:54 am

I used to study ScreenWriting at a University in Stoke-On-Trent. I was very passionate about becoming a writer and I figured it was a natural step towards getting into the industry. However I hated being on that course. I hated my fellow students and my tutors were extremely unprofessional. If there is one thing I hate about University life it's group work. I always ended up doing all the work. Doing that course made me lose any enthusiasm to write. However I stuck to it for the entire semester and then decided to change course. I might try and carry on writing some day :lol:.

After the whole ScreenWriting fiasco I figured that I would try my hand at Business since a few members of my family own their own businesses. So I transferred courses. Everything was good until a few mental health issues arose (I was diagnosed with Panic disorder and depression last November). Not to long after everything spiralled out of my control, sadly I had no option but to leave University in April. Currently I'm back to working in my father's restaurant and making baby steps to sorting my life out. I've been learning how to drive and trying to lose the weight I put on for example (Oreo Ice-cream will forever be the bane of my existence :lol:). I have to admit I've been watching a lot of video game reviewers (Somecallmejohnny mainly) as of late and I'm feeling compelled to possibly make some of my own video reviews as a hobby.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:43 pm

Currently, Junior Animator at Atomic Cartoons. Come November when my contract ends? Iunno. I should probably get looking though.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:28 am

I work in a kitchen at a restaurant, I do everything, cook, dishes, etc. I blame my job for not being able to go see Battle of Gods.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm writing my PhD thesis in Classical Reception Studies and teaching some basic courses at the University of Warsaw. My main focus area is the 17th century French literature (I did both my BA and MA in this field). Apart from that I also have a BA in Classics so it comes in handy when dealing with different reception topics - you can actually check some of my works on academia.edu.
So my occupation doesn't provide me with a lot of money but I'd never exchange it for anything else (it has been my dream for more then a decade to get a PhD in Reception Studies and I pretty much ordered my life to follow this idea).

I also sometimes work as an assistant/guide/translator for the foreign guests at some festivals in my home city - Łódź (aka the city that's most prominently used for testing whether Unicode display works) - knowing many languages (that's one of the thing I love most - I try to start a new language every year and by know there's hardly any language in Europe [apart from Hungarian, Finnish and Basque] that I wouldn't understand) is useful in such moments. This work pays well but I'm not a very sociable person so I tire quickly in company - that's why I try to work only for those festivals that show some promise of being really fun (like the International Festival of Comics and Games here in Łódź).

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:17 am

From the beginning of my senior year to about July 3rd I believe. I had two major occupations. I was a promoter for an orphanage company. Every now and then using my YouTube channel I would make an AMV dedicated to it. People (mostly my hardcore subscribers) would donate via PM. The Amvs were mostly different toned from my other Amvs. Less effects and more story. I did this once a month. Being the promoter the Owner payed me 10$ per video. This didn't last very long though. Only for 3 months maybe 4. I stop making Amvs at a rate that I used too. I tend to focus more on my family and girlfriend now. We ended the agreement under good terms. It was more of a chore for me rather than a job.

My second major job was working at GaneStop. This is very weird choice for myself as I'm not into gaming no more. I used to be a very hardcore gamer but I grew out of it. There are exceptions to it however. I'm a huge ultra Assassin Creed fan. I also enjoy Nintendo very much. The job was basically in some senses "Make the customer pay as much money as possible". Which is very much understandable. However if stock is low we had a limit on how much you take. There's normally 3 guys/gals around with the manger in the back. But sometimes we get a fourth man/woman. My job was to recommend games for the customer. I'm still shocked that it's not based on popularity overall but "flavor of the month". Take example CoD or GTA which I believe sold the most in 2013. They get most promotion via TV. So we grab the game that got good reviews and is slowly on the rise. We promote that inside the GS. Though outside it's CoD adverts or 2k sports. I gladly excited for my return come winter and spring break. As I asked to be taken off schedule for the moment as I'm not "legally" working there no more but I can come back to that place when I come home.

There's now the present. I'm about to be a college student attending University of Austin Texas (Long Horns for sports fans). I'm leaving this Friday morning so Thursday will be my last Kanzenshuu day for awhile. Maybe even WED depending how long I spin the day will someone. I'll probably drop by every now and then. I'm not sure if Freshman can get on Campus jobs because to my knowledge you can't even park a car if you're a FM. If they do allow jobs I'll just work in the library or gym.

After College I plan on enjoying life and marry. I'm going to well plan to be a computer engineer.

KakarotWarrior

Post by KakarotWarrior » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:24 pm

I go around neighborhoods and mow everyone's lawn for a few bucks. It is not as bad as you think as it is quite enjoyable and cutting down the different types of grass is really interesting. I like cutting down the thick blades of grass the most because it leaves you with the fresh smell that you got done mowing the lawn.
You see my avatar? This symbolizes Goku as his strongest which resembles me being the strongest fighting member on this forum. I may not have that big of a neck but you better have your facts straight when debating with the King. I also offer Mario 3 to calm people's nerves.

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:46 am

Doing an accountings job at the moment.

I am also doing a double degree in business and communications.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:52 am

I am a former gas station attendant and I currently "work" for a convention as both a member of the promotion/street team and the info desk manager... though both "jobs" are not really paid as I'm compensated for the room, travel, and meals (making it more akin to volunteering despite being legally on the manifest documenting employees).

As for paid gigs, sometimes I reject the street team/promo invitations and work under vendors for a cut of the profits at regional tournaments for card games and junk... I've currently applied to some arcades/bars and hobby shops to try and get myself something adequate
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed