What's Your Occupation?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
B e n
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by B e n » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:08 am

I've been a Freelance Graphic Designer since 2009, mostly specializing in advertising, marketing, product and packaging designs.

I recently relocated to Manchester, UK this year and I'm currently working with my father-in-law to learn the ropes in the construction trade, ultimately leading into what he retired with in site management.

I'll always do the art though.

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4933
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:26 am

B e n wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:08 am
I've been a Freelance Graphic Designer since 2009, mostly specializing in advertising, marketing, product and packaging designs.

I recently relocated to Manchester, UK this year and I'm currently working with my father-in-law to learn the ropes in the construction trade, ultimately leading into what he retired with in site management.

I'll always do the art though.
Hey man, welcome to the club, we have the same ocupation albeit in different countries. Specializing on Marketing myself in international company, working as a freelance doing book design. It is nice to see or meet a distant colleagues.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

User avatar
Locust
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:39 pm
Location: UK/Osaka

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by Locust » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 am

I always look up to graphic designers, the closest I get to doing graphic design is when I design the covers for my doujinshi - it's such a deceptively hard job, so y'all have my major admiration!
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

User avatar
MCDaveG
I Live Here
Posts: 4933
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:54 pm
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:52 am

Locust wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 am
I always look up to graphic designers, the closest I get to doing graphic design is when I design the covers for my doujinshi - it's such a deceptively hard job, so y'all have my major admiration!
That is such a nice comment, thanks man!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

User avatar
B e n
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by B e n » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Locust wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 am
I always look up to graphic designers, the closest I get to doing graphic design is when I design the covers for my doujinshi - it's such a deceptively hard job, so y'all have my major admiration!
Thank you for that mate, really appreciate the nice comments.

Designing box art can be very challenging, but I've always found that less is more. I've designed box art in the past that's taken weeks and has hundreds of layers in Photoshop, but I've designed some of my best in a day by making them very minimal and simple.

Again, big thanks for the admiration. Sometimes us designers definitely need the confidence/ego boost to produce better work!

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 pm

B e n wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:07 pm
Locust wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 am
I always look up to graphic designers, the closest I get to doing graphic design is when I design the covers for my doujinshi - it's such a deceptively hard job, so y'all have my major admiration!
Thank you for that mate, really appreciate the nice comments.

Designing box art can be very challenging, but I've always found that less is more. I've designed box art in the past that's taken weeks and has hundreds of layers in Photoshop, but I've designed some of my best in a day by making them very minimal and simple.

Again, big thanks for the admiration. Sometimes us designers definitely need the confidence/ego boost to produce better work!
Have you designed box art for DVDs or video games?
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
B e n
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by B e n » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:13 am

Planetnamek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 pm
Have you designed box art for DVDs or video games?
A great many haha.

I recently started a thread in the Art sub-forum of something I'm working on if you wanted to check it!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45337

Donnie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by Donnie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 am

I am a reporter and producer for a news/talk radio station in the United States, and occasionally an election reporter for the Associated Press. Also this is my very first post on Kanzenshuu. Hello! :D

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am

B e n wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:13 am
Planetnamek wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 pm
Have you designed box art for DVDs or video games?
A great many haha.

I recently started a thread in the Art sub-forum of something I'm working on if you wanted to check it!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45337
Looking pretty good! Just curious, what are some of the games and films you've done box art for?
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
B e n
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by B e n » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am
Looking pretty good! Just curious, what are some of the games and films you've done box art for?
Thanks mate, I'm happy with how the main spine image has come out!

I have an e-portfolio of my favourite packaging designs here if you'd like to check them all out :)

http://vgboxart.com/designer/BenBrownDesign/

There are a lot of others too that haven't been uploaded there. A lot of unfinished things or stuff that have been put on the backburner to work on other projects.

(If linking to external websites is against the forum rules here, please feel free to remove).

User avatar
Planetnamek
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Wow some of those are really good! I especially love the Life is Strange and Deus Ex ones.

Wouldn't mind seeing you do one for Bioshock Infinite with Elizabeth on the cover(Which was what the devs wanted, but EA forced them to put Booker on the cover cause they thought a buff dude with a gun would sell more copies).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
SaiyanEpic
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 am

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by SaiyanEpic » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:34 am

B e n wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:04 pm
Planetnamek wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am
Looking pretty good! Just curious, what are some of the games and films you've done box art for?
Thanks mate, I'm happy with how the main spine image has come out!

I have an e-portfolio of my favourite packaging designs here if you'd like to check them all out :)

http://vgboxart.com/designer/BenBrownDesign/

There are a lot of others too that haven't been uploaded there. A lot of unfinished things or stuff that have been put on the backburner to work on other projects.

(If linking to external websites is against the forum rules here, please feel free to remove).
dude that's awesome, I was not even aware that box art/design thingy

Post Reply