What's Your Occupation?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B e n

Re: What's Your Occupation?

Post by B e n » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:08 am

I've been a Freelance Graphic Designer since 2009, mostly specializing in advertising, marketing, product and packaging designs.

I recently relocated to Manchester, UK this year and I'm currently working with my father-in-law to learn the ropes in the construction trade, ultimately leading into what he retired with in site management.

I'll always do the art though.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:26 am

B e n wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:08 am I've been a Freelance Graphic Designer since 2009, mostly specializing in advertising, marketing, product and packaging designs.

I recently relocated to Manchester, UK this year and I'm currently working with my father-in-law to learn the ropes in the construction trade, ultimately leading into what he retired with in site management.

I'll always do the art though.
Hey man, welcome to the club, we have the same ocupation albeit in different countries. Specializing on Marketing myself in international company, working as a freelance doing book design. It is nice to see or meet a distant colleagues.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 am

I always look up to graphic designers, the closest I get to doing graphic design is when I design the covers for my doujinshi - it's such a deceptively hard job, so y'all have my major admiration!
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:52 am

Locust wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 am I always look up to graphic designers, the closest I get to doing graphic design is when I design the covers for my doujinshi - it's such a deceptively hard job, so y'all have my major admiration!
That is such a nice comment, thanks man!

B e n

Post by B e n » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:07 pm

Locust wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 am I always look up to graphic designers, the closest I get to doing graphic design is when I design the covers for my doujinshi - it's such a deceptively hard job, so y'all have my major admiration!
Thank you for that mate, really appreciate the nice comments.

Designing box art can be very challenging, but I've always found that less is more. I've designed box art in the past that's taken weeks and has hundreds of layers in Photoshop, but I've designed some of my best in a day by making them very minimal and simple.

Again, big thanks for the admiration. Sometimes us designers definitely need the confidence/ego boost to produce better work!

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 pm

B e n wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:07 pm
Thank you for that mate, really appreciate the nice comments.

Designing box art can be very challenging, but I've always found that less is more. I've designed box art in the past that's taken weeks and has hundreds of layers in Photoshop, but I've designed some of my best in a day by making them very minimal and simple.

Again, big thanks for the admiration. Sometimes us designers definitely need the confidence/ego boost to produce better work!
Have you designed box art for DVDs or video games?
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

B e n

Post by B e n » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:13 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 pm Have you designed box art for DVDs or video games?
A great many haha.

I recently started a thread in the Art sub-forum of something I'm working on if you wanted to check it!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45337

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:06 am

I am a reporter and producer for a news/talk radio station in the United States, and occasionally an election reporter for the Associated Press. Also this is my very first post on Kanzenshuu. Hello! :D
If you come across this account, please ignore it. I can't delete it, since apparently this website doesn't allow that (super odd). I abandon this account long ago. Thank you.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am

B e n wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:13 am
Planetnamek wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 pm Have you designed box art for DVDs or video games?
A great many haha.

I recently started a thread in the Art sub-forum of something I'm working on if you wanted to check it!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45337
Looking pretty good! Just curious, what are some of the games and films you've done box art for?

B e n

Post by B e n » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am Looking pretty good! Just curious, what are some of the games and films you've done box art for?
Thanks mate, I'm happy with how the main spine image has come out!

I have an e-portfolio of my favourite packaging designs here if you'd like to check them all out :)

http://vgboxart.com/designer/BenBrownDesign/

There are a lot of others too that haven't been uploaded there. A lot of unfinished things or stuff that have been put on the backburner to work on other projects.

(If linking to external websites is against the forum rules here, please feel free to remove).

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Wow some of those are really good! I especially love the Life is Strange and Deus Ex ones.

Wouldn't mind seeing you do one for Bioshock Infinite with Elizabeth on the cover(Which was what the devs wanted, but EA forced them to put Booker on the cover cause they thought a buff dude with a gun would sell more copies).

SaiyanEpic

Post by SaiyanEpic » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:34 am

B e n wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:04 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:36 am Looking pretty good! Just curious, what are some of the games and films you've done box art for?
Thanks mate, I'm happy with how the main spine image has come out!

I have an e-portfolio of my favourite packaging designs here if you'd like to check them all out :)

http://vgboxart.com/designer/BenBrownDesign/

There are a lot of others too that haven't been uploaded there. A lot of unfinished things or stuff that have been put on the backburner to work on other projects.

(If linking to external websites is against the forum rules here, please feel free to remove).
dude that's awesome, I was not even aware that box art/design thingy

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:00 pm

I currently have no job, and I was working at a Warehouse that sold car parts before until I was laid off due to Covid. I just live at home at nearly 30 years old and I still have no major career. I probably had six or seven jobs in my life with the dry cleaners being my worst job and working at AMC being my favorite.

I was going to finish Community College until Covid happen. I never went to a four-year school because I can't afford it and my family is barely middle class. I blame myself for not taking eduction seriously when I was younger.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:22 am

I currently work in a brick-and-mortar store. Everyday I risk dying of COVID or being a tranny in retail. :D
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:03 pm

I'm a sound/mixing engineer for a small recording studio. Mainly working with people that make a living doing acoustic covers of pop songs etc

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:23 pm

I feel like a loser compare to most of people in this thread. I'm 30 in a month and I still live at home with no proper education.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:27 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:23 pm I feel like a loser compare to most of people in this thread. I'm 30 in a month and I still live at home with no proper education.
Don't feel bad, society is built to make those things happen.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:44 pm

Part-time private tutor while working on my master's dissertation.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:56 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:23 pm I feel like a loser compare to most of people in this thread. I'm 30 in a month and I still live at home with no proper education.
Education never defines a man, you define yourself. Depends what you wanna strive for.
Myself, I am a graphic designer yes, but I have quit to further my studies on university here, because I was lazy, wanted to work instead of studying my ass off and do shit part jobs. My parents divorced and vision of living with my mom in suburbs while going to study till being 25 wasn't really sexy. Not from a wealthy family also to hold my back.
Might have been this MA degreed snubby designer, going for trophies and accolades.
Instead, working hard 10 years in the field, no trophies no accolades - but tons of experience earned through hard work.
Still, not earning as much as people with degrees, but earning a lot. But instead, I fight this perception of a people that are defined by degrees.
But beware, don't forget, everyone are people... people can be crap, unfit for their jobs, doesn't matter the education.
I have great friends and some of them are great in their field with a degree or I have my best friend, who basically has just elementary school because he went through some weird phase and skipped his 2 year quota for graduating from high school. But he is really successful in what he does.

So never give up and don't fall into this trap of ''shit, missed my opportunities, I am damned'', you never are, unless you give up yourself.
Sure, it's not easy and it's hard, but unless doing some shady stuff that doesn't pay in the long run, being succesful takes a lot of work.
And the work never stops.

I see you here for a loooong time Hellspawn, you are part of this message board for me and I like your posts and respect your opinions.
Really not worried about you at all :)

And sorry if my post was overblown, I just hope you are happy and OK, that's all, as there is no reason to feel like that.
Because, the worst enemy I have battled and still do sometimes, is comparing myself to others.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:23 pm

So I've been working a pretty decent job for the last several years. Flexible hours, somewhat productive -- it wasn't what I planned to do but it's been comfortable. Not really at liberty to say what it is exactly, classified information ya see, but I've recently had the bandaid ripped off as it were and they've royally screwed me over. The company's not liquidated, I've been loyal and haven't wronged them in any way, so I'm just... stumped. I'm still employed by them, which I suppose I should be thankful for, but my standing in the company is no longer as stable as it once was, so I've started looking for other pastures.

I'm optimistic about the future now that the pandemic is mostly calming throughout the world (except continental Europe I guess), but at the same time, so many of my friends are going through similar shit, their employers just randomly screwing them over for no reason, which just enrages me. If anyone's in the same boat, just know that you're not alone, and there will be more opportunities that you've gotta take advantage of!

I think another moral I've learned is this: don't get too attached to your employers, because they'll just take advantage of you and they usually don't give a damn about you as a person. Most older people would probably say that's fairly obvious advice, but you learn through experience. In the words of a wise taxi driver's dad, you only need one phrase to get by in life: "stick 'em up!"