Is anyone else having trouble getting images to load?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Is anyone else having trouble getting images to load?

Post by Innagadadavida » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:17 pm

As of today, the forum appears to have trouble loading images that are hosted on the site imgur.com. Myself and another person I asked are coming across this problem, with many of the boards images and avatars not loading correctly. Are we the only ones?

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Is anyone else having trouble getting images to load?

Post by voltlunok » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:54 pm

As far as I can tell, Imgur has started cracking down on image hot linking through them. I'm seeing a few other forums starting to have this issue as well. My only reccomendation is to find a new image hosting site, possibly Postimage as I don't think Imgur is gonna backtrack on this.

Bit of a test to prove. For me, I'll see the imgur one for a bit cause its cached for me but if anyone else sees it then please say so. Then we have a mystery on our hands. :lol:

Shenron pic uploaded to Imgur

Shenron pic uploaded to Postimage

Woooo 750th post!
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:58 pm

Yeah, Imgur just straight up won't work right now. Your image 404s for me.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Ajay wrote:Yeah, Imgur just straight up won't work right now. Your image 404s for me.
Yet the postimage one does? Cause then we have a rousing success of an experiment! Also I'm guessing your avatar image was uploaded to Imgur cause it ain't working Ajay D:
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Yup, Postimg is fine.

Interestingly, my avatar broke on imgur, then I reuploaded it, worked for a little while, and then it 404'd.

Very strange stuff.

What's even stranger is that clicking through via a site like Reddit works just fine.

Deadtuber.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:12 pm

If you've recently seen the image, it's stored in your browser's cache rather than re-loading it again from the site. That's how you might be seeing it while someone who's never visited before doesn't see it.

Clicking through also isn't the same as hotlinking and having it appear embedded in someone else's web page.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:15 pm

Ah then my guess is that they have created a whitelist of sites that can hotlink and embed images from Imgur now. Sadly we aren't on that list...Welp time to find better sites. Again I'd say Postimg is a good place to start.

EDIT! Or what VegettoEX pointed out. Browser caches can create some misleading false positives.

Anyways I'd say this mystery is solved thanks to good ol'

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Clicking through also isn't the same as hotlinking and having it appear embedded in someone else's web page.
Yeah, for sure. I'm just having trouble understanding how right-clicking and opening the broken image in a new tab, regardless of how many times you hard refresh, will never result in the image appearing. But, if you copy the URL and paste directly into your URL bar, it works just fine. Surely a hard refresh via the open in new tab method wouldn't count as being embedded, though? I'd imagine it's just treated like a clickthrough -- which interestingly, works just fine like this.

Deadtuber.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:02 am

Ajay wrote:I'd imagine it's just treated like a clickthrough -- which interestingly, works just fine like this.
Not for me. I get 403 Forbidden and a demand to log in, when I click that link.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:22 am

Huh, yeah. That link doesn't work either, now.

So it's definitely not a case of caching making these images appear at one point and not another, as I specifically checked that link having cleared my cache and on multiple devices.

I guess there's a delay between Imgur doing whatever the hell it's doing and when it gets posted.

Welp, guess I'm using Postimg from now on.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:49 pm

So another good image hosting site has gone down the drain? It's annoying having to change image hosts every 2-3 years or so. :/ I see you can sign up for accounts on there. Can you sort images by albums and such like on other image hosting sites? I like to keep my images organized.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:31 am

Right, I went and looked into this some more.

Popular tech website Ars Technica were blacklisted, too. The admins reached out to Imgur to clear things up, and it turns out the blacklist was in error. I believe the same thing has happened to Kanzenshuu.

Imgur told them that image use on forums is absolutely fine, but not on the main page. Neither Kanzenshuu nor Ars Technica do this, and they believe it was simply a popular thread that tripped the system. Considering the huge threads we have on this site, it's almost certainly the same issue.

If someone from Kanzenshuu could reach our to Imgur's admins, we'd be back to normal again. I believe here may be the best place to contact.

Post for details (1) // (2)

Deadtuber.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:37 pm

Thanks to everyone who has looked into this more than I have. I've reached out to Imgur and will let you know what I find out. Hopefully we can get this resolved.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Okay. So.

Inna messaged me a few days ago letting me know about this imgur thing with the forums here when he was trying to look through the wuxia thread; because as it happens, imgur was the site I was originally using to host all the obscenely myriad of images and gifs for the thread topic.

I didn't really think too much of it, figuring it was some stupid site issue that would resolve itself as these things tend to... until I was further hit with the news a bit later on that it involved Kanz being on the receiving end of some sort of "blacklist" from Imgur.

A crapton too much effort went into that thread for me to leave it fully functioning as intended solely for its first few months of its existence, only for it to then remain forever after a wasteland of dead, broken links.

Soooo... I literally had to delve back into the thread, open up my imgur account, and go image by image and gif by gif and replace ALL of the links, after transferring the whole lot of them (again, one at a time) onto a fresh new Photobucket album. And also because photobucket links are so much longer (thus pushing some of the posts past the site's max character limit), I also had to re-shift the start and end cutoff points a little bit for each of the posts (nothing at all content-wise was lost in this though).

Smack in the middle of this whole tedious slog of a process, Photobucket went down for about a day and a half or so due to some sort of weird outage that they had to scramble to fix, making this take way, way longer than it otherwise might have.

Whereas the actual process of my originally writing the thread whilst delving through my entire lifetime's worth of a wuxia back catalog (and also tearing through tons of more recent wuxia material I'd been meaning to catch up on as well) to create all the gifs and so forth was actually a really fun little project to work on, this recent massive repairing of vast oceans of dead links was sheer mind deadening fucking torture beyond belief.

But its been done now, so once more (for anyone here, besides Inna, who actually gives a shit) the only actual thread on this entire goddamn site dedicated specifically to DB's actual genre origins is 100% up and working again, ready to crash people's browsers once more. :P

I do it for the craft ladies and gents.

Photobucket also better not pull this same shit, cause I sure as hell am never doing anything like that ever again.

...of course then just as soon as I complete that whole numbing task, I look in on this thread here again to post this only to find that this whole endeavor may have been utterly pointless and moot on my end and Kanz may well find itself off Imgur's weird blacklist soon enough anyways. Which if that does happen, I could've just left well enough alone and the write-up would've eventually been functional as normal anyway.

Whatever. I didn't scrap anything on the old Imgur account, so I now essentially have two different sets of the thread images secured away on different sites in case something happens to either one of them: and I have the whole text for both the Imgur and now the Photobucket versions of the post(s) saved as well, so anything I might have to do with either of them in the future will now require very little that's more complex than a simple copy/paste from here on out.

Fun bit of trivia that I learned from all this though: evidently the grand image/gif total in that gigantic series of posts tallies up at 960. :shock:

Also with that in mind, upon reading Ajay's explanation for the likely cause of this whole issue, I can't help but now possibly in some way suspect that my little write-up may have played some sort of role in this matter occurring. If that's in any way the case then, uh... oops. Sorry about that gang. :oops:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Destroying fandom again and again. I would expect nothing less.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 pm

After a bit of back and forth with the fine folks at Imgur, they have agreed to remove the block on hotlinking Imgur hosted images on Kanzenshuu. They did say that it could take up to 24 hours for the block to wear off, but otherwise, we're unblocked and everything should return to normal for those that use Imgur for their avatars and/or other hosted images linked on the forum. For the record, no single guilty party was identified (Kunzait), but they did apologize for the inconvenience, for whatever that's worth. :D
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanks to everyone for sorting this out. My avatars are on rotation from a secondary site plugged in with (mostly) imgur links. I'm not even sure I could have collected them all again if this was permanent.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)