Toriyama non-DB works

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Re: Toriyama non-DB works

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:17 am

If you really want to talk about Dr. Slump, just make a thread in the General Franchise sub-forum. Just try to be tact about it and let a moderator decide if it's alright or not. Doesn't hurt to give it a spin.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Sat May 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Dr. Slump and Neko Majin have a tie in with Dragon Ball while stuff like Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Go! Go! Ackman, Cowa! and Sandland do not.

Actually, you can get tie ins with almost everything Toriyama does. Dr Slump characters do appear on another manga by Toriyama (Mad Matic? I can't remember right now). There is a Shenron on Dragon Quest III that even grants you wishes. Sandland has a demon king that looks almost like Dabura. And those are a few ones that just come to mind not counting the obvious ones like Dragon Boy.

I would like myself a sub forum or something where talking about other Toriyama works could be done freely without the need to tie everyting to DB. Even though almost everything can be tied to DB, doing so constantly is forced in the end.

Among other things, you can also talk about the evolution of toriyama's art over the years. There is an artbook for Dragon Quest coming out 27th of May for instance where you can see his works on Dragon Quest from 1985 up to now (You can see on that artbook his round style going to his end of DB style and then going up to his current style).

I do understand the reasons why such a subforum is not created, and it's true it would be difficult to moderate without deep knowledge on those other works, however, I think it would be a nice place to learn about Toriyama's Past, how it relates to DB itself prior and post the DB manga. After all, I'm sure that when Daizex started back in the day, people here didn't know as much about DB as of now. If at all, it would be a chance to learn new things, that in the end, are related to DB in one way or another since some have been the predecesors of DB and others have been clearly influenced by DB in some way.

I hope I'm explaining my point here. English is not my native language and sometimes I tend ro ramble a bit, so sorry about that :)

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue May 24, 2016 3:08 pm

I like that Kanzenshuu is focused only on Dragon Ball and they're the best at what they do. There's no reason for non Dragon Ball stuff.

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Tue May 31, 2016 6:20 am

Got today "Akira Toriyama - Dragon Quest Illustrations" Artbook :D

Some pictures :mrgreen:

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Tue May 31, 2016 9:04 am

redon wrote:Got today "Akira Toriyama - Dragon Quest Illustrations" Artbook :D
it Looks amazing. Mine is on the way, but it will take 3 weeks to get here.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:44 pm

I understand it's not the opinion shared by most of the more veteran crowd, and the resources may not be there to actively moderate it, but a general Akira Toriyama subforum, or at least a loosening of the reigns on the kind of Toriyama-related discussions allowed in "General Franchise Discussion" is still the thing I wish for most on this board.

There's really something to be said for understanding an author's singular work within the context of their larger output--ideas, prototypes, fascinations, etc., all of which can influence your nuance and understanding of the work in question. And while I understand the current policy is that if a topic can be related to Dragon Ball, however loosely, it'll fly, there's something to be said for the kinds of new connections discovered through discussion. Essentially, I wish, instead of having to wait until someone asks just the right question to bring up, say, Cowa!, someone could post thoughts about it generally, and increase the chance for both illuminating new connections and perhaps discovery of the work. Even that Dragon Quest artbook post above would be great to be alerted to and see a few user-selected photos of. I'd argue that even when these things don't influence Dragon Ball directly, they inform our understanding of it by increasing our understanding of its artist/author--or at least, the more of Toriyama's stuff I see, the more I understand why Dragon Ball operates in the specific way it does. I think the clamor for that kind of content to exist in at least a user-driven capacity on the forums here is less that it "must" exist somewhere, and more that, as the authoritative Western Dragon Ball community, we really ought to have or at least allow for it. I think it's a gap.

I get that discussing so much untranslated manga is also a legal minefield, though, so I'm completely sympathetic toward not wanting to expend staff on the kind of extra policing a dedicated section would require. I understand not wanting to clutter the main forum as well.