Mobile for Kanzenshuu

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MajinPlanet

Mobile for Kanzenshuu

Post by MajinPlanet » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:29 pm

Dear Admin of Kanzenshuu,

Greetings I would like to bring something to you which I'm a little shocked you haven't yet made an option to users. Perhaps it's the limitation of phpBB itself which isn't totally your fault. However, I'm really interested in taking more part in this community not only to learn more about the anime I love, other subjects and to make new friends. After all no matter how much I know about Dragon Ball, there is still something new to learn and knowing others points of view is important to me. But we live in an age where mobile devices, such as smartphones, tablets, etc sort of trump the day to day user vs us old folks who have PC's that we generally do most of our work and gaming on.

I work all the time so my time on my PC is very limited, so I have a smartphone which I use all the time to update and read stuff, the problem for me is that Kanzenshuu isn't design for mobile the website itself it not optimized for mobile which is again shocking to me. But I can still read it mostly but the forums isn't and it's really hard to navigate it.

While not an easy fix but I wonder if you have plans to update Kanzenshuu to the current standard of web design which is a mobile first design. I'm only one person and myself not being able to read the forums or take part in discussions as much as I would like might not be the biggest deal in the world but I just wonder how many users read this forum using a mobile device. Everyone has one, so I can't see myself being alone in this problem. If there is another way to view the forums that is mobile friendly using an app of some kind I would really like to use that so I can be more active here. Either way I'll still check the website out every chance that I get.

Thanks for reading and look forward to the feedback.
I'm a gamer and writer. I enjoy web design and love to have fun!

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Mobile for Kanzenshuu

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:17 pm

What is the model of your mobile phone? Right now I'm using iPhone 6S and all functions work perfectly fine.

In a not so elaborated response, the staff has a lot of things to consider to take this step further. Good people to work on the app, programming skills, lawyers, designers, money. They have to consider if it will totally upgrade the experience on using the website. The Safari navigator is very good, by the way. More importantly, to which public it would be directed. iOS, Android etc. They would have to search for at least 70% of the active users. So, a lot of effort. They have to consider if it's worth.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:25 pm

Ignoring much of what you say Majin, and just getting to the technical matters...

I'm not Hujio or Vegetto, but I do occasionally help on certain back end things (mostly in regards to the forum.)

So I'm not speaking for them, but I'd likely help recommend mobile skins, etc for the forum.

The site itself (outside of the forum) absolutely is optimized for viewing anywhere.

As for the forum...

There are certainly 'mobile first' themes that could be installed, but truthfully... phpBB even with it's desktop theme is pretty decent for mobile usage.

It doesn't mean the option shouldn't be offered (especially with perhaps a quick change at the bottom of the forum), but much of the discussion on Kanzenshuu is of a slightly more detailed level that, at least my guess, isn't done via mobile.

I can't speak for the exact phone model you have, but as far as surfing and reading, I've never had an issue going back multiple phone models.

Hugo Boss wrote:Stuff about apps.
He's not talking about an app, he's talking about adding a robust mobile theme. I'm also not sure where you just pulled out a random percentage from.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:30 pm

My bad, then. I was probably biased by the great amount of people who want to expand their sites here in my city by using an app. The percentage is just the minimal we regularly recommend to value the importance of working on a possible app. It's about the kind of public we want to engage. If more than 70% of the active public answers a survey, we can get a very close estimation about what the 100% would answer. It's not suposed to be that strict.