Please lets us change our usernames

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4049
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Please lets us change our usernames

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:39 am

It always bugged that it's insanely very hard or simply just impossible for someone to change their username here (Feels like PSN). In other sites it's not a big deal since (If you can't) you can simply make another account and stop using your old one. The problem here is that multiple accounts aren't permitted.

What exactly can someone who doesn't like their username anymore (For whatever reasons) do? Sorry! Get over it. Doesn't that feel a bit harsh and restrictive?

Usernames are important. People grow and their tastes change over the years. You can't really expect everyone to like their username forever. What about people who make typos on their username or just want it simplified/reduced (My case)? What if you made a name for yourself in other sites and want to use the name here too?

Maybe have a short time frame (Twice a year) like other sites do to give the users the opportunity to change it. At the very least allow us to make another account or make the username change feature available to the people who donate or something. I'm serious here, I'll pay to change my username.

Well that's my piece. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read my little rant.
Last edited by ZombieVito on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10247
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:47 am

Haven't you already changed yours once?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4049
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 am

Yes and no.

They changed my name (Base on a old request that I made months and months ago) when I made another account with a different name (Which got deleted). For some reason they choose to ignore the name of the new account and used the one from the now "outdated" request.

The reason I made the other account with a different name was to standardize my name across all sites I use.

I really tried to not be bothered with it but I can't. I'm serious here. I'm willing to pay to change it.

In any case people should have the option to change it, with limitations of course.
Last edited by ZombieVito on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SuperSaiyanBatman
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:22 pm

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by SuperSaiyanBatman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:54 am

I agree with ZombieVito, here. The Kanzenshuu forums are the only forums I visit without this option for some reason, I get being against it willy nilly, but the option to change it at all with some limitations should be fine. Like, not everyone wants to change their username (not me even if I came up with it when I was 12), but the people who do should get a chance to and have it be easier like most other forums do. The limit could be limited to once every 6 months or a year if you want, but generally, yeah, I think the option should be there for the people who do want it. I don't expect people to start abusing it just because it's around... :problem:

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2371
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:56 am

The only other fourm I go to, has a topic where you can ask the admins if you can change your username with limits of course (3 months after you joined, 6 months after that and 2 months for mods), I don't see why a system like that can't be added for Kanzenshuu.
[spoiler]Also, I wish my username had capital 's instead of them being lowercase[/spoiler]
they/them pronouns

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2882
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:44 am

Some forums only allow you to change username s so many times a year and the VocaloidOtaku forums let you view a list of every username a member has ever used. A mix of those two systems would be perfect.

Anyway, I'm 100% with this.

I really hate the fact I'm stuck with a name I came up with when I was 12-13, a name I've given up 3 years ago, and a name that makes me cringe whenever I read the lowercase spelling. I go by "Mantis128" pretty much everywhere now and yet I'm stuck with this stupid immature sounding nametag on one of the main sites I use.

User avatar
MetaMoss
Regular
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:05 pm

soppa saia people wrote:[spoiler]Also, I wish my username had capital 's instead of them being lowercase[/spoiler]
Same for me. Everywhere else, I've got the m's capitalized.
Do me a favor and just pretend there's something cool or witty or profound down here.

User avatar
Anime Kitten
I Live Here
Posts: 4258
Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 3:53 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:36 pm

I'm pretty okay with my username (if I was to change it, it'd be to Time Breaker), but I don't see exactly why there's not a choice.
YouTube | MyAnimeList | Naruto Forums
Discord: Nagareboshi#5185

User avatar
B
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by B » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:51 pm

I used to visit a forum where people would change their names constantly, and then a rule was later created to prevent that because it was hard to tell who was whom. My, perhaps flimsy, reasoning against that was that who you are on a message doesn't really matter, but the words you're writing do.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1288
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:30 pm

ZombieVito wrote:Usernames are important.
All the more reason for why it shouldn't be easy to change.

User avatar
Tyro
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 12:04 pm
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Tyro » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 pm

I don't really care how the chips fall concerning this issue, mostly because I've always been very happy with my own username and also because I think this is a silly issue, but I think it adds to the charm of the forum that Kanzenshuu doesn't hand out name changes all willy-nilly. It's nice that it's constant. Kind of like, "I remember that I used to argue with this guy back in the day!" It's in a similar vein to how I like that Kanzenshuu doesn't let users have images in their sigs or avatars bigger than 100x100.

That's a weak reason, sure, but I like that this is a community of people whose names I've known forever.

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 am

I like that it's not allowed. If it was allowed, it would be hard to tell who's who. I do, however, think it should be allowed if you just made the account and don't yet have a reputation yet, becuz maybe there was a typo in the username.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
MarcFBR
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:50 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:30 am

I don't see the need.

If someone is that unattached to their name to change it often enough to need that, then I don't see that they are attached to the new one anymore than the old one.

If someone wants to make a one off request specifically to the staff to make a change based on actual 'changes' they make around the net, that's a bit different.

But if you are so flighty as to need to change your name effectively at 'random', then I just really don't see the point.

Part of the point of having a 'name' is to identify people.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2882
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:22 pm

It's easy to say all that when your username isn't on the same level as "ButtRash32" or "Herpies64".

And it's possible to integrate a system that allows you to view what usernames a member has used over the years, so losing track of members would be that big of a problem.

User avatar
Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5150
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm
Location: Munciana

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:33 am

I've had this same username for 10 years (holy shit) and this is the only place I use "Big Momma", despite having an official moniker I have everywhere else.

Despite that, I don't feel the need to change it here. What's the benefit? Consistency? I don't really care if people recognize me from elsewhere or not. It's not like I can't just link my alternate accounts with my official webname in my sig.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog
Want to join the (Un)Official Kanzenshuu Discord Server?~Click Here~

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:29 am

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:52 am

Nice to see other people getting their username changed yet when I ask and even offer to pay I get completely ignored. Not even told "no", just completely unacknowledged.

I just don't see how it's a big deal to simply change a username. A lot other forums I post on have no problem changing your username upon request so long as you're not doing it too frequently, and every other forum that doesn't allow that at least allows one single name change (Smogon) or a name change for $10 (Neoseeker). This just comes off as incredibly lazy to me.

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10247
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:01 pm

"This forum doesn't let me do whatever I want they are so lazy"

I mean, I'd like to have mine changed to match what I use everywhere else, but don't come onto someone's forum, that they pay for, and bitch them out for "not doing enough" while using the service they provide you with for free. It's rude, it's immature, and it doesn't make your argument any stronger.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:29 am

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:31 pm

I never said "This forum doesn't let me do whatever I want they are so lazy", nor did I say that they're "not doing enough". Did you even thoroughly read my post? I was merely expressing that I was upset not only for not getting my name changed when others could, but also for being flat-out ignored. I then continued to explain how other forums have no problems giving any member an opportunity to change their name.

Perhaps saying it was lazy was unnecessary, and I would fix my post, but I see that the edit feature was now removed. Also, was there any reason to label my complaint as "bitching"?

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10247
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:12 pm

"They ignored me even when I offered to pay them!" "Everyone else does it, they're just lazy for not doing it!"

Whereabouts I'm from, we call that bitching.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3537
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:47 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:I just don't see how it's a big deal to simply change a username. A lot other forums I post on have no problem changing your username upon request so long as you're not doing it too frequently, and every other forum that doesn't allow that at least allows one single name change (Smogon) or a name change for $10 (Neoseeker).
I'd wager that the reasoning behind not allowing name changes (barring exceptions) is related to the reasoning behind limiting the amount of time someone can edit their posts:
VegettoEX wrote:part of being a responsible Internet citizen is understanding that what you say remains online forever. You are creating history as you leave your comments; that is something "awesome" in the actual sense of that word, and should be treated with respect and care as your contributions become part of a greater whole.
Being able to change your name freely would allow you to "start fresh" and essentially remove all of your previous moniker's posts from your "official history", as it were. Letting yourself start over whenever you want invites careless contributions, since you can hit the refresh button on whatever thoughtless and willfully-intellectually-negligent posting-pattern you could possibly find yourself in. It doesn't matter what you post, you can always pretend that it never happened.

I mean I definitely think people should have at least one freebie (after all, not everyone gets it right the first time; they might need more time to learn/adapt to the social environment), but that should also be limited to some extent (after all, some people will just abuse that to sow prolonged social chaos).

Post Reply