Please lets us change our usernames

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1271
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Shiyonasan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:08 pm

MarcFBR wrote:I don't see the need.

If someone is that unattached to their name to change it often enough to need that, then I don't see that they are attached to the new one anymore than the old one.

If someone wants to make a one off request specifically to the staff to make a change based on actual 'changes' they make around the net, that's a bit different.

But if you are so flighty as to need to change your name effectively at 'random', then I just really don't see the point.

Part of the point of having a 'name' is to identify people.
I mostly agree with this.

I think all members should be allowed one username change, especially if a member changes their username to something else around the internet or if they have a typo they'd like to fix in their username as Linkdude mentioned. I wouldn't allow two or more username changes unless there's a VERY, VERY legitimate reason in which that member would absolutely need a second username change.

Otherwise, Zephyr brings up a good point in that people wanting to change their usernames multiple times eliminate their own accountability. By having someone being forced to stick to a certain username, they're forced to communicate in a more intelligent manner. They can't just spew out toxicity or spam and then change their username as if nothing ever happened.

Also, I don't like the "pay to change your username" idea for the reason Kamiccolo9 stated. That could be abused to heck as well.

Basically, I do like the fact that people are (for the most part) stuck with their usernames, because it does make it easier to identify people, especially if they've been around for ages. However, if I were in Ringworm128's shoes, for example, I would definitely want a username change as well.

User avatar
Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:28 pm
Location: Nebraska
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Hujio » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:47 pm

As stated in the forum rules:
Account names will not be changed under any circumstances, and users found with multiple accounts are subject to removal.
I know you may think that this is a policy we just made up for the hell of it to annoy people, but it is entirely based on experience. I'm sorry if that is not good enough for some of you, but that's just the way it is and will remain to be. How other websites and forums want to operate is entirely up to their owners and moderators. We are not them. They are not us.

Also, for the record, if we receive requests about anything that is clearly outlined in the forum rules, we will not respond. We are not ignoring you because we're mad, we hate you, or any other excuse you can think of, but because we assume you read the rules that you agreed to follow when registering.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:29 am

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:"They ignored me even when I offered to pay them!" "Everyone else does it, they're just lazy for not doing it!"

Whereabouts I'm from, we call that bitching.
I'm sorry to hear that people from your whereabouts feel the need to generalize and undermine other people's complaints/opinions on a topic for absolutely no reason? Again, I already acknowledged that lazy was a bad way to put it and unnecessary, I'm still unable to edit my post.
Hujio wrote:Also, for the record, if we receive requests about anything that is clearly outlined in the forum rules, we will not respond. We are not ignoring you because we're mad, we hate you, or any other excuse you can think of, but because we assume you read the rules that you agreed to follow when registering.
You're acting like it's so clear cut, yet I've already seen three users that actually got their username changed. Do you not see how that can be misleading?

User avatar
Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2483
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:28 pm
Location: Nebraska
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Hujio » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:15 am

I am acting like it's clear cut in the rules because it is. We used to allow requests and certain people ruined it for everyone. Period. End of discussion.

However, all that said, I am willing to take requests for anyone that would like the capitalization within their current username changed.
metamoss wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:[spoiler]Also, I wish my username had capital 's instead of them being lowercase[/spoiler]
Same for me. Everywhere else, I've got the m's capitalized.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Videls_Panties
Banned
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Videls_Panties » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:18 am

Your user name is just something your born with, you can't change it.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:18 am

Hujio wrote:I am acting like it's clear cut in the rules because it is. We used to allow requests and certain people ruined it for everyone. Period. End of discussion.

However, all that said, I am willing to take requests for anyone that would like the capitalization within their current username changed.
metamoss wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:[spoiler]Also, I wish my username had capital 's instead of them being lowercase[/spoiler]
Same for me. Everywhere else, I've got the m's capitalized.
It looks so much better, thank you.
they/them pronouns
my twitter
14 year old me didn't know how to spell "Saiya"......

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:20 am

Zephyr wrote:
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:I just don't see how it's a big deal to simply change a username. A lot other forums I post on have no problem changing your username upon request so long as you're not doing it too frequently, and every other forum that doesn't allow that at least allows one single name change (Smogon) or a name change for $10 (Neoseeker).
I'd wager that the reasoning behind not allowing name changes (barring exceptions) is related to the reasoning behind limiting the amount of time someone can edit their posts:
VegettoEX wrote:part of being a responsible Internet citizen is understanding that what you say remains online forever. You are creating history as you leave your comments; that is something "awesome" in the actual sense of that word, and should be treated with respect and care as your contributions become part of a greater whole.
Being able to change your name freely would allow you to "start fresh" and essentially remove all of your previous moniker's posts from your "official history", as it were. Letting yourself start over whenever you want invites careless contributions, since you can hit the refresh button on whatever thoughtless and willfully-intellectually-negligent posting-pattern you could possibly find yourself in. It doesn't matter what you post, you can always pretend that it never happened.

I mean I definitely think people should have at least one freebie (after all, not everyone gets it right the first time; they might need more time to learn/adapt to the social environment), but that should also be limited to some extent (after all, some people will just abuse that to sow prolonged social chaos).
That reasoning just makes it seem more annoying. Not being able to edit my name or posts because the admins want to enforce some moral lecture about how everything I post counts is well, really stupid. I'm 20 years old, I've been online since I was a kid and I'm well aware what it means to post something. I don't need a forum rule to remind me. And the forum maneged to function for 12 years without banning editing so I really don't see how rules like these are needed. We might as well ban members from changing their avatars.

Also everyone keeps bringing up how it would be impossible to tell who's who, and I find that very hard to believe. The other main forum I go on is very liberal when it comes to name changes and usually you can very easily deduce who a member is even if they completely change their profile. And if you can't you just check their name history.
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:24 am

ringworm128 wrote:Not being able to edit my name or posts because the admins want to enforce some moral lecture about how everything I post counts is well, really stupid.
It's their website, they can enforce whatever they want.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:34 am

Which reminds me of the saying "just because you can doesn't mean you should".
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]

User avatar
Nejishiki
I Live Here
Posts: 2406
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:45 am

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Nejishiki » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:24 am

Doesn't that apply the other way around, too? That seems to be a circular defense that will ultimately end with whatever standards are set for the guest.

Zephyr
I Live Here
Posts: 3553
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:45 pm

It most definitely does apply the other way around. Just because they can do it the way that other websites do it, doesn't mean that they should.

User avatar
MetaMoss
Regular
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by MetaMoss » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:57 pm

Hujio wrote:I am acting like it's clear cut in the rules because it is. We used to allow requests and certain people ruined it for everyone. Period. End of discussion.

However, all that said, I am willing to take requests for anyone that would like the capitalization within their current username changed.
metamoss wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:[spoiler]Also, I wish my username had capital 's instead of them being lowercase[/spoiler]
Same for me. Everywhere else, I've got the m's capitalized.
Well, would you look at that, I'm CamelCase now! Thanks Heath!
Do me a favor and just pretend there's something cool or witty or profound down here.

User avatar
Ringworm128
I Live Here
Posts: 2890
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 am

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Ringworm128 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:54 am

Zephyr wrote:It most definitely does apply the other way around. Just because they can do it the way that other websites do it, doesn't mean that they should.
Except the main reason for it being a good idea is simply because it's a good idea, not because "it's what everybody else is doing. A member being able to change their name if said name is no longer relevant to them or in my case very embarrassing, VS a member being stuck with every embarrassing thing they've ever done for no other reason than "Your post about "Cat Loves Food" is on the same level as the transcript for the Gettysburg address, sorry you can't edit history".
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1305
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:48 am

ringworm128 wrote:Except the main reason for it being a good idea is simply because it's a good idea,
To whom?

User avatar
Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10258
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:32 pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany

Re: Please lets us change our usernames

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:08 am

ringworm128 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:It most definitely does apply the other way around. Just because they can do it the way that other websites do it, doesn't mean that they should.
Except the main reason for it being a good idea is simply because it's a good idea, not because "it's what everybody else is doing. A member being able to change their name if said name is no longer relevant to them or in my case very embarrassing, VS a member being stuck with every embarrassing thing they've ever done for no other reason than "Your post about "Cat Loves Food" is on the same level as the transcript for the Gettysburg address, sorry you can't edit history".
You can edit history, happens all the time.

Regardless, I feel like this issue exists only in your own mind. I can assure you that there is not a big secret group of people who sit around chuckling at your username. Honestly, I wouldn't have thought twice about it if you hadn't kept bringing it up.

Basically, it's like some stupid story that your parents tell everybody about some stupid thing you did when you were a kid. Just suck it up and laugh with everyone else.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Post Reply