Announcement: New Word Censor

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:42 am

Dang it, dang it, dang it, dang it! I can't believe I did that! And that you of all people had to notice it! Not that that suprises me. Now you'll never let me hear the end of it. *sigh* Yes you win, I guess you own me. There's only one thing to say and that's: BURUMA!! :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:17 am

PsyLiam wrote:But no-one ever, ever writes "Tienshinhan". They'll write "Ten", "Tenshinhan", "Tien", or "Tien Shinhan", but someone writing "Tienshinhan" would only show themselves up to be a very very silly person. And that should be highlighted.
People do so say Tienshinhan.

Mostly on GameFAQs. But members there aren't known for their intelligence.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:28 am

Adamant wrote:Mostly on GameFAQs. But members there aren't known for their intelligence.
You're telling me. And I'd know, because I used to spend every minute on Random Insanity. Because, you know, I'm insane. And random. OPTIPLEX!

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:13 pm

Wow. That's just...weird. I haven't seen that part of DB yet, but isn't his full FUNI name given as "Tien Shinhan"?

"Tienshinhan" is a strange mixture of dub and original. It'd be like saying "Kasumi owns a Psyduck." Or maybe calling the main character from DB "Son Zero".

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:53 pm

FUNi still uses ''Tien'' for him, to my knowledge.

Perhaps they decided to throw in the ''Shinhan'' somewhere to serve as a last name or something.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:03 pm

Dai wrote:FUNi still uses ''Tien'' for him, to my knowledge.

Perhaps they decided to throw in the ''Shinhan'' somewhere to serve as a last name or something.
Well, he's called "Tienshinhan" a lot in Dragon Ball. Doesn't seem like a last name thing.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:33 pm

But the DVD release of those episodes is called the "Tien Shinhan" saga, isn't it? Two seperate words.

There's still that weirdness of Bulma abruptly using "Tienshinhan" once n in the original DBZ FUNI/Ocean Group dub, too.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:30 pm

Ya, where did that come from? I've always tried to figure out why that happened and only once. Did they maybe think that since Buruma,(still writing it that way Liam!), is really booksmart that she would use his full name? Did they think the guys were too dumb to pronounce it? Or maybe they assumed that Goku and the others were closer to him and that they would therefore use Tien like it's more of a nickname. Whereas Buruma, isn't as close and therefore uses his full name? Of course, that doesn't explain Piccolo, who wasn't friends with anybody there, except Gohan, which he wouldn't admit to anyway. :?

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:45 pm

Maybe Piccolo didn't know his name, and only picked it up from hearing the boys constantly saying "Tien"?

Or maybe Bulma was so moved by the situation that she used his full name out of respect, or something.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:54 pm

No, Piccolo would have known his name from the 23rd Budokai in DB. I think the second theory about Buruma though could certainly work. Yes, thanks to Psyliam, I can sleep better tonight! :P

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:23 pm

Question: Would this stop some fool from signing up under those words?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:48 pm

Probably not.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:28 am

Immediate ban, then? :?

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:54 pm

That's EX's call.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:29 pm

I tend to use a mix of FUNI spellings and correct translation spellings. i.e. I use F r i e z a instead of Freeza (which I personally think is stupid, 'right' or not), as well as Krillin, H e r c u l e (I like people to have first names!), and Bulma while Still using Saiya-jin and, I think, a few others that slip my mind atm.

Part of it is what I heard/saw first and part is what I think sounds/looks better/cooler. *Shrugs*
Last edited by Xyex on Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:40 pm

Er, Mr Satan is "correct", as far as the Japanese name goes. So too is Bulma, really, since that's what is written all over her clothes. Jersey is just weird with that one.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:44 pm

If you think I'm weird Liam, fine. I just prefer it that way becasue I think it sounds nicer when it's said. "Bulma" is just "ugly" sounding. I've always found that even five years ago I thought that. It's just how I feel. Now Psy, just let it go, you're not going to change me. :P

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:23 pm

Bulma's ugly sounding and Buruma's not? Sounds like Bermuda(sp?) to me. I think you need some hearing aids :P

As for Mr. Satan, yes, I know that's the offical, and I know the actuall pun. But that's not the point, the point is, I hate using Mr. Satan all the time. I prefer first names, and I think H e r c u l e's a hilarious pun myself so, *Shrug*.

And the first post was supposed to have H e r c u l e and not Mr. Satan. It's censord.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:01 pm

Ahh.

Are we censoring "H e r c u l e" then? Isn't that a bit extreme? I mean, that's an instance where the name change was completely not FUNI's fault. Plus it's not a mispelling like "F r i e z a", it's an actual alternative name. And I've always quite liked the idea of it being his first name, or perhaps an alternative wrestling name (since real wrestlers do quite often change their name).

I think that "Buruma" sounds a bit akward. Like actually trying to say "Kuririn" without slurring it together. It sounds like "Broom" said with a Japanese accent, or something.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:42 pm

Really? I don't find Buruma or Kuririn awkward to say. Must be because of my theatre background. And I think Bermuda is also a nice-sounding word, so that's that point shot down! Nyaaah! :P