I want "Dr. Slump Discussion" and "Non-DB Akira Toriyama Discussion" subforums

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

I want "Dr. Slump Discussion" and "Non-DB Akira Toriyama Discussion" subforums

Post by John Pannozzi » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:07 am

Okay, so I'm very aware that what I'm asking for will probably be seem as controversial to Mike and co.

I of course fully understand and respect why Mike is dead set again having an Off-Topic subforum.

However, I am requesting for something that slightly invokes that rule, albeit while covering material very closely related to DB.

I want subforums dedicated to Dr. Slump and general (not directly DB-related) Akira Toriyama discussion.

I am willing to say that in this case, there should be a rule limiting the extent to which we discuss works that Toriyama-sensei only did character designs for (games like Dragon Quest, Blue Dragon and Chrono Trigger, and so forth).

It would be so much more convenient to have all Toriyama-related discussion under one roof. There's not a lot of other places to talk Dr. Slump in such depth, so I feel it would be appreciated.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: I want "Dr. Slump Discussion" and "Non-DB Akira Toriyama Discussion" subforums

Post by Cipher » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:31 am

This gets brought up often and is shot down every time, but:

I second this wholeheartedly.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: I want "Dr. Slump Discussion" and "Non-DB Akira Toriyama Discussion" subforums

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 am

Considering some of the archival work we've been doing that is ostensibly in service of still documenting Dragon Ball and how it came to be... we're not necessarily as opposed to it as in many years past, but it would take further coordination alongside some other stuff we're trying to do and now kids you need to be on your absolute best behavior here do you promise?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:27 pm

I'll third this suggestion. I would love a Dr. Slump forum and an "other Toriyama works" forum.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:52 pm

About a year or so ago I did a read and watch through of Dr. Slump, and I really did enjoy it. It's so fun and wacky, and really doesn't get much love outside of DB communities, and even then it's pretty scarce. I will fourth this!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:29 pm

It'd be nice, but I feel like it would be pretty dead. Just a general thread would be great imo.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:41 pm

I think it'd be easier to consolidate Dr. Slump and Non-DB Toriyama into a single subforum, but I like this idea (even though I can't contribute on any level).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:54 am

I vote for "Non-DB Akira Toriyama Discussion" subforum".

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 am

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'd be all for it. Though I agree that maybe doing just one 'Non-DB Akira Toriyama Discussion' sub-forum would probably be better than doing one for Dr. Slump and then another one for all the other stuff he's done. It'd certainly make the sub-forum at least a little more active over time too, since it'd house talk about not just Slump, but all his various one-off stuff, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, Blue Dragon, what have you.

Mainly it'd make it even easier to get answers to questions about some of those things to, as this forum by and large houses some of the most knowledgeable people in regards to Toriyama's works that you're ever likely to find, so it'd be great for any inquiries to be posted in this proposed new forum rather than searching answers out via Google and hoping someone out there knows and is accurate.

The only "issue" I could see coming up would be the classification of non-DB in regards to the other two Galactic Patrol series entries by Toriyama and Katsura, 'Sachie-chan Good!!' and 'Jiya'. Jaco was always described as the third entry in that series (and was even originally meant to be drawn by Katsura rather than Toriyama himself if I recall correctly), but at the same time, Jaco is definitely in the same world as DB, whereas the other two are never confirmed to be - the only things that really hint at it (though I prefer to think they're in the DB universe myself) are, again, the description of being part of the Galactic Patrol series alongside Jaco, and the fact that the squid-like aliens seen in Jiya seem to be the same race that we see a few of in the Jaco manga, as well as the same race that the Galactic King is. Soooo...it's a tricky one. I guess stuff like that would depend on exactly the question/topic a thread about those was bringing up?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:The only "issue" I could see coming up would be the classification of non-DB in regards to the other two Galactic Patrol series entries by Toriyama and Katsura, 'Sachie-chan Good!!' and 'Jiya'. Jaco was always described as the third entry in that series (and was even originally meant to be drawn by Katsura rather than Toriyama himself if I recall correctly), but at the same time, Jaco is definitely in the same world as DB, whereas the other two are never confirmed to be - the only things that really hint at it (though I prefer to think they're in the DB universe myself) are, again, the description of being part of the Galactic Patrol series alongside Jaco, and the fact that the squid-like aliens seen in Jiya seem to be the same race that we see a few of in the Jaco manga, as well as the same race that the Galactic King is. Soooo...it's a tricky one. I guess stuff like that would depend on exactly the question/topic a thread about those was bringing up?
Personally I can see it being in both; it's connected to Dragon Ball, and yet it's so niche I don't think anyone would kick up a fuss if a thread for it popped up in the Non-DB Toriyama board. It's a bit like how discussion on Super, and Super alone, permeates into the In-Universe and General Franchise boards even when they don't talk about DB, DBZ or GT.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 pm

Well if there's enough people that have read Dr Slump and other manga or played the games, I don't see why not. The only issue is that a lot of Toriyama's other stuff is hard to get a hold of or simply nonexistent in English so a lot of us might not be familiar with the stuff, though I'd love to be.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:47 am

Yes,please I will be looking forward to it.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:29 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Well if there's enough people that have read Dr Slump and other manga or played the games, I don't see why not. The only issue is that a lot of Toriyama's other stuff is hard to get a hold of or simply nonexistent in English so a lot of us might not be familiar with the stuff, though I'd love to be.
I disagree, you can buy the entire Dr. Slump manga on ComiXology right now.

Gets me thinking, if such a subforum were to be made, a required Sticky should be a "How do I watch/read Dr. Slump?" thread.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:55 am

KBABZ wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:Well if there's enough people that have read Dr Slump and other manga or played the games, I don't see why not. The only issue is that a lot of Toriyama's other stuff is hard to get a hold of or simply nonexistent in English so a lot of us might not be familiar with the stuff, though I'd love to be.
I disagree, you can buy the entire Dr. Slump manga on ComiXology right now.
Not only that, but Viz's physical Tankobans for Slump were readily available for many years at any given Barnes & Noble or local bookstore for a large chunk of the latter 2000s. So were Sand Land and Cowa! for that matter.

Hardly hiding under a rock by any stretch of the imagination.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:19 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Not only that, but Viz's physical Tankobans for Slump were readily available for many years at any given Barnes & Noble or local bookstore for a large chunk of the latter 2000s. So were Sand Land and Cowa! for that matter.

Hardly hiding under a rock by any stretch of the imagination.
Shame we can't say the same about the original anime. I've always wanted to watch that and Kikuche's score, since I thought it was wonderful when it showed up in Dragon Ball.

Monna

Post by Monna » Tue May 29, 2018 9:00 pm

I freaking love Dr. Slump! It would be wonderful to have a section to discuss the series.

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 pm

I'd love a Non-DB Akira Toriyama Discussion just to talk about Dragon Quest/Warrior.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:55 pm

I'd be more interested in the Dr Slump part of the forum. I feel like if there was a place here to talk about it, more people would be able to get into the series.

Plus there are other good stuff that people should learn about, like Pink: The Rain Jack Story from 1982, and Ken'nosuke-sama from 1997. Both of which received animated adaption by Toei in 1990. And then there's Cowa! from 1997, and Sand Land from 2000. Both of which were released in English by Viz. Oh, and also Neko Majin from 1999 till 2005 that oddly got its final chapter translated by Viz and nothing else.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:26 pm

A general discussion section for Dr. Slump series/manga would be extremely useful because there isn't really a community that I can think of (Reddit, maybe? I dunno.) that cares about Dr. Slump.

I'd like to talk about Dr. Slump home media releases and try to get the best one out there. The first 27 episodes of Dr. Slump were released on Blu-ray in France but I have no idea if it's actually in high definition or it's a shameless upscale, I'd expect the former because Kazé is generally a solid anime distributor.

Dr. Slump also has a lot in common with Dragon Ball such as the New Dr. Slump FEP which never got a DVD release, the New Dr. Slump where Goku showed up, Dr. Slump episode in Dragon Ball, the special Dr. Slump crossover in Dragon Ball Super, the Dr. Slump hints on DBZ Movie 13, and more.

Harmony Gold also dubbed Dr. Slump so that's another interesting piece of history of Dr. Slump for the English market. :) And Discotek Media released Dr. Slump: The Movies 1-5 on DVD but the others were never released, sigh.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Definitely support this. Dr. Slump is being currently published for the second time (this time complete!) in Brazil and I am reading it. It's genius, amazing stuff.
Last edited by Paulo Gabriel on Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.