Can we have the ability to "Like" and otherwise react to posts?

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Mon May 11, 2020 10:15 am

Sorry, if this has already been asked before:

It would be super handy IMHO.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Can we have the ability to "Like" and otherwise react to posts?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 11, 2020 10:35 am

Our philosophy is that we encourage people to respond with well-written, empathetic, genuine conversation pieces if they find something that interests them, and that it’s OK if you do not have anything to say.

We understand this is not the way that many “modern” social media services work, and believe that it is important for different kinds of communities to exist with different kinds of customs and interaction methods, all serving different needs and interests.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon May 11, 2020 1:27 pm

Yeah I agree, Likes on a forum just turn things into a popularity contest where you're encouraged to say not what you think, but what's popular, which are two very different approaches to voicing your opinion. In fact saying what's popular often ISN'T your opinion!

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Wed May 13, 2020 10:45 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:35 am Our philosophy is that we encourage people to respond with well-written, empathetic, genuine conversation pieces if they find something that interests them, and that it’s OK if you do not have anything to say.

We understand this is not the way that many “modern” social media services work, and believe that it is important for different kinds of communities to exist with different kinds of customs and interaction methods, all serving different needs and interests.
I love the way this forum is old-fashioned and doesn't give up on its ideals just because it's the ''modern'' or ''cool'' thing to do.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed May 13, 2020 4:22 pm

My posts would most certainly get the most dislikes, considering all my opinions and stances are quite the opposite or very different from what the general people want, think, like and etc. :lol:

Anyway, I also prefer the encouragement notion to submit substantial posts when you agree or disagree, because if you add "like/dislike" buttons, people will think they don't need to present their arguments, just hitting those buttons will be enough. So I don't see how "super handy" that would be.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Thu May 14, 2020 8:36 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:22 pmAnyway, I also prefer the encouragement notion to submit substantial posts when you agree or disagree, because if you add "like/dislike" buttons, people will think they don't need to present their arguments, just hitting those buttons will be enough.
I agree. People can be lazy when it comes to discussing 'hobbies'. :)

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat May 16, 2020 1:38 am

John Pannozzi wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:15 am Sorry, if this has already been asked before:

It would be super handy IMHO.
I disagree. It'd make much less interesting conversations, plus it would also possibly be abused by people and certain people could feel not welcome here.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:54 am

Another forum I'm on uses 'private likes', where you can see exactly who liked/disliked your posts, and you don't see the like/dislike ratios on any posts other than your own. It's kinda nice because that way it doesn't turn into a popularity contest, and whenever someone does like your post (or when you like someone else's) it's a personal little nod of acknowledgement.

I'm not expecting Kanzenshuu to ever implement a 'like system', but if this place ever did decide to go that route, I'd rather it be something along those lines than say, Reddit's system.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Witty User Name
Banned

Post by Witty User Name » Sun May 17, 2020 7:32 pm

TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:54 am Another forum I'm on uses 'private likes', where you can see exactly who liked/disliked your posts, and you don't see the like/dislike ratios on any posts other than your own. It's kinda nice because that way it doesn't turn into a popularity contest, and whenever someone does like your post (or when you like someone else's) it's a personal little nod of acknowledgement.

I'm not expecting Kanzenshuu to ever implement a 'like system', but if this place ever did decide to go that route, I'd rather it be something along those lines than say, Reddit's system.
Yeah, I know such a system exists.