The auto correct we never asked for, but totally deserve

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: The auto correct we never asked for, but totally deserve

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:00 pm

Aim wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:34 pmI appreciate the response, but even with the wiki, do you really think people will start using the right spellings?
You don't get people to change their ways on something as trivial as name spellings by forcing it upon them. You do it by providing a wealth of authority and solid reasoning and continue to back it up over and over in everything that you produce with a smile on your face.
Aim wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:34 pmI personally don’t see anything wrong with a filter, people probably won’t notice it.
The filter was minor and on just a few names and hasn't been in effect for eons and people (rightfully so) still complain about it ever existing and reflecting poorly on our character (and assume it's still active, because why wouldn't those assholes still have it on?). See aforementioned statement: "All it did was send the wrong message about who we were and what we actually do here and what we actually stand for, drowning out any legitimate criticism of the community or website."
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:00 pm You don't get people to change their ways on something as trivial as name spellings by forcing it upon them. You do it by providing a wealth of authority and solid reasoning and continue to back it up over and over in everything that you produce with a smile on your face.
Ah, I see. I guess that makes sense, I understand now.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 pm

Looking over at this it's a shame all the translation errors from like 1997 stuck with the dub to this very day. Unfortunately it's too late now as western fans have been using these names for over 20 years now. Still brings back memories of how localized anime had to be in the west in the late 90's. People will never use the "correct" names.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:26 pm

precita wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:48 pm Looking over at this it's a shame all the translation errors from like 1997 stuck with the dub to this very day. Unfortunately it's too late now as western fans have been using these names for over 20 years now. Still brings back memories of how localized anime had to be in the west in the late 90's. People will never use the "correct" names.
It's not too late. There was another thread I started where people basically argued that "fans don't care" and will just "watch the show". There's always new generations of Dragon Ball, we had a chance at a new start with Kai, but Funimation doesn't care enough to stop bastardizing the series.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Nobody is really going to care that he's called Korin instead of Karin. In english, Karin sounds too feminine a name so I can see why they changed it.

I guess Trunks should be Torankasu and we should use Blooma and Kaio too. But it doesn't matter. Bra is also still called Bulla in the Super dub.

The only real big name change in the dub was of course Mr. Satan to Hercule but he was always called Mr. Satan in the uncut DBZ dub as well so it's not like they completely changed it.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:58 am

precita wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 pm Nobody is really going to care that he's called Korin instead of Karin. In english, Karin sounds too feminine a name so I can see why they changed it.
That's not an argument, that's his name, Son Goku is referred to like a kid by Bulma; Son-kun.

Some nuters will say Goku sounds feminine.
I guess Trunks should be Torankasu and we should use Blooma and Kaio too. But it doesn't matter. Bra is also still called Bulla in the Super dub.
Using Torankasu doesn't make sense, to be perfectly honest, it's along the lines of stupidity the dub would do. The dub goes ahead and uses "Vegito" spellings and what not. Kaio would actually be accurate IIRC, and so would Blooma to a degree. I know you were trying to prove a point, but you really fell head first on that one.
The only real big name change in the dub was of course Mr. Satan to Hercule but he was always called Mr. Satan in the uncut DBZ dub as well so it's not like they completely changed it.
Flying Nimbus, Power Pole, Hell being changed, etc. It doesn't matter how small or big the changes are, if they aren't necessary then they shouldn't be used.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 am

This thread was long dead. Not sure why it was resurrected, and I have nothing more to add since I last responded.

That being said, y'all are transitioning the topic toward general name spelling adaptations and transliterations, which there are plenty of other (probably active?) threads for, or you are of course welcome and encouraged to make new, topic-appropriate ones elsewhere in the "General Discussion" Dragon Ball sub-forum. Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::