The auto correct we never asked for, but totally deserve

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

The auto correct we never asked for, but totally deserve

Post by Aim » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 am

Request for certain words to be auto corrected,

Korin - Karin

Vegito - Vegetto

Special Beam Cannon - Makankosappo or anything that is accurate

Tri-Beam - Ki-Kô-Hô

Dodon Ray - Dodonpa

Solar Flare - Taiyoken

Destructo Disk - Kienzan

Frieza - Freeza

Spirit Bomb - Genki-dama

Spirit Ball (?) - Sōkidan (?)

Jenemba - Jenenba

Cooler - Coola

Tien/Tienshinhan - Ten/Tenshinhan

Kefla - Kafla

...Anymore?

Doesn't need to be a big change that everyone knows about, if the official companies won't make an effort to correct stupid shit, then I guess it's up to the fans.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: The auto correct we never asked for, but totally deserve

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:56 am

there was actually a word filter on here for a pretty long time lol, and it did cover most of those, though none for names that were 2 words. it was funny, but it wasn't hugely necessary outside the ones that just corrected misspellings or for the funimation names that were hugely different (like fasha).

also a couple of the ones you listed aren't even like wrong or whatever, and most people do use the spellings/translation (or lack there of in some cases) that are used by this site, viz or Simmons' subtitles, so it's not really a big deal.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:45 am

Most of these like Cooler/Coola are just fine. It's super nitpicky and comes off as arrogant to suggest they should be filtered out.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:21 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:56 am there was actually a word filter on here for a pretty long time lol, and it did cover most of those, though none for names that were 2 words. it was funny, but it wasn't hugely necessary outside the ones that just corrected misspellings or for the funimation names that were hugely different (like fasha).

also a couple of the ones you listed aren't even like wrong or whatever, and most people do use the spellings/translation (or lack there of in some cases) that are used by this site, viz or Simmons' subtitles, so it's not really a big deal.
Which ones aren't actually wrong? I still see Freeza being spelt the wrong way like a bunch of other things.
Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:45 am Most of these like Cooler/Coola are just fine. It's super nitpicky and comes off as arrogant to suggest they should be filtered out.
I disagree. Cooler doesn't keep with the name puns. None of these I'd say are really nitpicks, Kefla is just plain wrong, it's not a big deal, people wouldn't probably realize it and start using the proper spellings then hopefully.

Arrogant is to suggest that the west owns Dragon Ball and has made it their own with their heinous treatment of the serious.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:11 am

Aim wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:21 am Which ones aren't actually wrong? I still see Freeza being spelt the wrong way like a bunch of other things.
well...you just named one yourself, "frieza" really isn't a wrong translation. it's a pretty silly and somewhat confusing spelling, but there's nothing really inaccurate about it. same with cooler, like yeah it's funny that it's even inconsistent within its own dub, but loads of people grew up with the spelling of "freezer" and still spell freeza like that, and i don't think many people in the fandom take issue with it, so i don't see why spelling it cooler would be a big deal. even something spirit bomb, which i assumed wasn't close to accurate for the longest time, isn't really wrong in anyway.

it hasn't been updated in a long time, and herms hasn't posted in like 2 years (cry), but this thread is a really great source for finding out what funimation dub names are just outright wrong, half translations, weird but correct translations, or more accurate then Simmons/viz translations. that's where i got most of my info in this post from, along with just reading really old arguments about name changes ^^

but honestly as a whole, unless it's something that's actively confusing and causes people to not know what you're talking about, it's kinda silly to get upset with the way people spell characters names. i'm sure lots of people know what the "more correct" spellings are but still use the funimation dub spellings, or stuff like gokou or bejita or whatever, simply because that's what their used to. i'm guilty of that with chaozu for example lol. people are different and have other experiences with the series, it's ultimately not a big deal.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:45 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:11 am well...you just named one yourself, "frieza" really isn't a wrong translation. it's a pretty silly and somewhat confusing spelling, but there's nothing really inaccurate about it. same with cooler, like yeah it's funny that it's even inconsistent within its own dub, but loads of people grew up with the spelling of "freezer" and still spell freeza like that, and i don't think many people in the fandom take issue with it, so i don't see why spelling it cooler would be a big deal. even something spirit bomb, which i assumed wasn't close to accurate for the longest time, isn't really wrong in anyway.

it hasn't been updated in a long time, and herms hasn't posted in like 2 years (cry), but this thread is a really great source for finding out what funimation dub names are just outright wrong, half translations, weird but correct translations, or more accurate then Simmons/viz translations. that's where i got most of my info in this post from, along with just reading really old arguments about name changes ^^

but honestly as a whole, unless it's something that's actively confusing and causes people to not know what you're talking about, it's kinda silly to get upset with the way people spell characters names. i'm sure lots of people know what the "more correct" spellings are but still use the funimation dub spellings, or stuff like gokou or bejita or whatever, simply because that's what their used to. i'm guilty of that with chaozu for example lol. people are different and have other experiences with the series, it's ultimately not a big deal.
"Frieza" is wrong, it makes no sense and doesn't stick with the pun, it's literally like saying "Say-in" as opposed to the correct "Sigh-yan".

You're right, in current dub Dragon Ball, it doesn't matter, because they have essentially lost a huge chunk of history and name puns with all their "Dubisms", if it's not a big deal, people won't realize and it will be integrated into the fandom fairly quickly.

Spirit Bomb and etc, are just plain wrong, having grown up with the wests Dragon Ball, now when I look back it really lacks the Toriyama feel, everything makes sense and sounds better when it's translated correctly.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:52 am

Aim wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:45 am "Frieza" is wrong, it makes no sense and doesn't stick with the pun, it's literally like saying "Say-in" as opposed to the correct "Sigh-yan".
It's not wrong, per say. The pronunciation is the same; English uses "ie" to make the "ee" sound pretty often (belief, relieve, sieve, grieve, etc.) It's an unnecessary change, but I'd say it's more a product of the insistence of fictional franchises in the 90s to change up letters to make something look more "extreme." You saw Marvel pulling this all the time in the early 90s (Stryfe is the most prominent example I can think of at the moment). I'm guessing that some advertising executive decided that kids like seeing familiar words with unorthodox spellings or something.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:22 pm

Aim wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:45 am "Frieza" is wrong, it makes no sense and doesn't stick with the pun, it's literally like saying "Say-in" as opposed to the correct "Sigh-yan".
i don't wanna be mean but, what makes you say it's wrong from a translation aspect ? most people on this forum who speak japanese or took classes on it or whatever, have pretty much always said that, well it's a weird and unnecessary spelling, it's not wrong. and i'll be honest, i've never bought the whole "Well some people might say it Fry-za" thing because, if you're watching the funimation dub or even playing the games, they don't say it like Fry-za, they pronounce it correctly. maybe i could see it if the viz translation used it but eh, even then it feels like a stretch.
Spirit Bomb and etc, are just plain wrong, having grown up with the wests Dragon Ball, now when I look back it really lacks the Toriyama feel, everything makes sense and sounds better when it's translated correctly.
but it's literally not wrong.
Herms wrote:Spirit Ball
In Japanese this is Genki-Dama. Now, 元気/genki can mean several related things, including health, energy, and vitality. “Spirit” falls into that ballpark, but notably it’s “spirit” in the sense of energy/mood. “Being in high spirits”, “spirited”, that sort of thing. It’s unrelated to “spirit” in the sense of ghosts or anything otherworldly like that. Instead, that would be 霊/rei, which is the word translated as “spirit” in Funi’s Yu Yu Hakusho dub. Meanwhile, “dama” comes from 玉/tama, meaning a ball or jewel, or also sometimes a bullet (though in that case it’s usually written with the kanji 弾 instead). Hence Viz translating it as “Energy Sphere”. Since the Genki-Dama is a ball that explodes, calling it a “bomb” is not a huge leap, so I’ll count “Spirit Bomb” as a loose but essentially fine translation.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:54 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:52 am It's not wrong, per say. The pronunciation is the same; English uses "ie" to make the "ee" sound pretty often (belief, relieve, sieve, grieve, etc.) It's an unnecessary change, but I'd say it's more a product of the insistence of fictional franchises in the 90s to change up letters to make something look more "extreme." You saw Marvel pulling this all the time in the early 90s (Stryfe is the most prominent example I can think of at the moment). I'm guessing that some advertising executive decided that kids like seeing familiar words with unorthodox spellings or something.
Freeza is an accurate translation and sticks with the name puns, that's my point, VegettoEX even did a blog post on it. I don't understand why "Frieza" should be kept when it isn't the most accurate, just because it sounds the same doesn't mean it's ideal, this is lazy translating.
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:22 pm i don't wanna be mean but, what makes you say it's wrong from a translation aspect ? most people on this forum who speak japanese or took classes on it or whatever, have pretty much always said that, well it's a weird and unnecessary spelling, it's not wrong. and i'll be honest, i've never bought the whole "Well some people might say it Fry-za" thing because, if you're watching the funimation dub or even playing the games, they don't say it like Fry-za, they pronounce it correctly. maybe i could see it if the viz translation used it but eh, even then it feels like a stretch.
Yeah, you're right, it's not actually wrong in that sense, but it's a lazy translation more or less, I don't see why we can't just switch to the most "accurate" translation, that being "Freeza". It's literally the least we could do, this is best place for all things Dragon Ball, it's not too much to ask that we at least try and incorporate the utmost best translations into this franchise, because even official sources now are refusing to do things properly.
but it's literally not wrong.
Herms wrote:Spirit Ball
In Japanese this is Genki-Dama. Now, 元気/genki can mean several related things, including health, energy, and vitality. “Spirit” falls into that ballpark, but notably it’s “spirit” in the sense of energy/mood. “Being in high spirits”, “spirited”, that sort of thing. It’s unrelated to “spirit” in the sense of ghosts or anything otherworldly like that. Instead, that would be 霊/rei, which is the word translated as “spirit” in Funi’s Yu Yu Hakusho dub. Meanwhile, “dama” comes from 玉/tama, meaning a ball or jewel, or also sometimes a bullet (though in that case it’s usually written with the kanji 弾 instead). Hence Viz translating it as “Energy Sphere”. Since the Genki-Dama is a ball that explodes, calling it a “bomb” is not a huge leap, so I’ll count “Spirit Bomb” as a loose but essentially fine translation.
Wrong was the wrong word, not appropriate, but it doesn't make sense, the Genki-dama doesn't act like a bomb, anyone could argue that then Yamcha's "Spirit Ball" should also be called "Spirit Bomb".

The point is not to keep loose translations, just because we can keep things, doesn't mean we should, it's like keeping "Kefla" instead of replacing it with "Kafla".

Saying Spirit Bomb works as a translation overall is like saying Special Beam Cannon works as a translation, or even Destructo Disk, Devil Beam Spiral, it's not unreasonable to ask for this.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:06 am

Aim wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:54 pm Yeah, you're right, it's not actually wrong in that sense, but it's a lazy translation more or less, I don't see why we can't just switch to the most "accurate" translation, that being "Freeza". It's literally the least we could do, this is best place for all things Dragon Ball, it's not too much to ask that we at least try and incorporate the utmost best translations into this franchise, because even official sources now are refusing to do things properly.
but the site itself, in the translations, articles, guides, etc, does use the most appropriate name translations, and i would say probably about 2/3rds of the forum does the same, this seems like a fairly minor issue. plus it would just be impossible to have auto correct for 2 part words, because afaik, you would need to filter out the words "Spirit" and "Bomb", two fairly common words. hell the old word filter kinda already had a issue like that with the classic "Tenshinhan Shinhan" when people said "Tien Shinhan".

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:11 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:06 am but the site itself, in the translations, articles, guides, etc, does use the most appropriate name translations, and i would say probably about 2/3rds of the forum does the same, this seems like a fairly minor issue. plus it would just be impossible to have auto correct for 2 part words, because afaik, you would need to filter out the words "Spirit" and "Bomb", two fairly common words. hell the old word filter kinda already had a issue like that with the classic "Tenshinhan Shinhan" when people said "Tien Shinhan".
It's not impossible, there would have to be a checking system in place, checking for if there's the word "Bomb" after "Spirit".

Sure, there's translations, but I still see morons say Freeza is an "Arcosian". Nothing wrong with trying to incorporate the utmost accurate terminologies into this fandom, Kanzenshuu as it isn't used as much as it should.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:12 pm

Aim wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 am...Anymore?
Bulma - Blooma
Kuririn - Kurilin
Vegetto - Vegett Gogeta

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Aim wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 am Request for certain words to be auto corrected,
[...]
...Anymore?
Doesn't need to be a big change that everyone knows about, if the official companies won't make an effort to correct stupid shit, then I guess it's up to the fans.
Kibitokai - Kibitoshin
Mark - Maaku
Bulla - Bra/Bura
Kuririn/Krillin - Kurilin
Zarbon - Zaabon/Zābon
Sorbet - Sorbe
Moro - Molo

Kahseral - Cāseral/Caseral
Belmond - Vermod/Vermoddo/Vermot/Vermotto

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:57 pm

pepd wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:20 pm
Aim wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 am Request for certain words to be auto corrected,
[...]
...Anymore?
Mark - Maaku
Zarbon - Zaabon/Zābon
Sorbet - Sorbe
Moro - Molo

I really hope you’re being sarcastic. Especially with that first one.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:57 pm
pepd wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:20 pm
[...]
...Anymore?
Mark - Maaku
Zarbon - Zaabon/Zābon
Sorbet - Sorbe
Moro - Molo

I really hope you’re being sarcastic. Especially with that first one.
Not at all. Especially needed for that first one.

Kurilin, Zābon, Molo and Maaku are more accurate to their pun origin: Kuri(Jap.chesnut), Shaolin, Zabon(Jap.pomelo), Moloch(the god) and Akuma(Jap.devil,demon).
Kuririn and Moro are the original names, but since the names are being translated, Kurilin and Molo would be most accurate. Even when DB names's translations don't follow a general rule because of it's complexity, names usually -if not always- incorporate the “L” when present in the name origin (Piccolo, Cell, Kale, Kafla, Califla, Neil, Bulma/Buluma, Table, Videl, Lemo, etc).
“Zarbon” probably comes from the “ar” becoming ā in Japanese, but doing the opposite, adding “r” doesn't have any sense when the name is Zābon and comes from “zabon”

Maaku (マーク) comes from akuma (a-ku-ma -> ma-a-ku), but I guess that doing the same as with ”Zarbon”, the “ā” became “ar” and “ku” became “k” (or maybe just assuming it was just “Mark” with Japanese pronunciation) it ended up as “Mark”, becoming a regular name and losing all intended meaning/pun.

Sorbe is closer to the original name (Sorube) and maintains the pun. Tho I don't know about pronunciation, and a lot of English names change significantly the original pronunciation, so maybe “Sorbet” is just as right or even better English translation.

The last two also need a correction, but I don't know what it would be, the “corrections” I wrote are just a guess. I separated those to clarify this, but forgot to write it.
Not sure because I don't know if “C“ and “K” in Caseral and Vermod differs significantly from Kāseraru and Berumoddo pronunciation, but then again, other translated names change way more the original pronunciation and Cāseral and Vermod are pretty close and keep better the puns.
Even if “K” are “B” are kept, “h” in Kahseral comes out of nowhere and deviates the attention from the pun, and R becoming L in BeLmod has no reason to be, just like with [ā -> ar] and [ku -> k] in “Zarbon” and “Mark”, especially when it comes from Vermut/Vermouth.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:07 am

pepd wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 am Not at all. Especially needed for that first one.

Kurilin, Zābon, Molo and Maaku are more accurate to their pun origin: Kuri(Jap.chesnut), Shaolin, Zabon(Jap.pomelo), Moloch(the god) and Akuma(Jap.devil,demon).
Kuririn and Moro are the original names, but since the names are being translated, Kurilin and Molo would be most accurate. Even when DB names's translations don't follow a general rule because of it's complexity, names usually -if not always- incorporate the “L” when present in the name origin (Piccolo, Cell, Kale, Kafla, Califla, Neil, Bulma/Buluma, Table, Videl, Lemo, etc).
“Zarbon” probably comes from the “ar” becoming ā in Japanese, but doing the opposite, adding “r” doesn't have any sense when the name is Zābon and comes from “zabon”

Maaku (マーク) comes from akuma (a-ku-ma -> ma-a-ku), but I guess that doing the same as with ”Zarbon”, the “ā” became “ar” and “ku” became “k” (or maybe just assuming it was just “Mark” with Japanese pronunciation) it ended up as “Mark”, becoming a regular name and losing all intended meaning/pun.

Sorbe is closer to the original name (Sorube) and maintains the pun. Tho I don't know about pronunciation, and a lot of English names change significantly the original pronunciation, so maybe “Sorbet” is just as right or even better English translation.

The last two also need a correction, but I don't know what it would be, the “corrections” I wrote are just a guess. I separated those to clarify this, but forgot to write it.
Not sure because I don't know if “C“ and “K” in Caseral and Vermod differs significantly from Kāseraru and Berumoddo pronunciation, but then again, other translated names change way more the original pronunciation and Cāseral and Vermod are pretty close and keep better the puns.
Even if “K” are “B” are kept, “h” in Kahseral comes out of nowhere and deviates the attention from the pun, and R becoming L in BeLmod has no reason to be, just like with [ā -> ar] and [ku -> k] in “Zarbon” and “Mark”, especially when it comes from Vermut/Vermouth.
Oh yes, Kurilin, I definitely forgot that one, thank you!

Zabon, makes sense, Molo, you mean like the new villain?

Could you elaborate on Molo and the others? Perhaps we could get another translator into this thread.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:34 am

It's so funny how history repeats itself.

Via a combination of our own incredibly petty decision as well as in response to community request, we had a moderately-extensive filter a long time ago (remember, this current install of the forum dates back to 2004), which probably was in effect for a few years? In addition to some of the traditional FUNimation-only name spellings/changes (e.g., "Frieza", "Tien", "Pikkon", "Hercule"), it handled some of the most egregious misspellings of those misspellings.

All that's in effect today are corrections for misspellings of misspellings, and it's probably not even that many (things like "Krillen", which is nothing, but tons of people use because they don't actually know the name).

We said at the time, all those years ago, that our intent was to remove the name filter when we got the wiki launched, because that would be one nice little "extra" in addition to the main website that would reinforce what we felt "proper" and "accurate" name spellings would be. Well, the wiki ain't launched yet, but we still got rid of most name filters a long time ago (though we occasionally do still fix up names in thread titles, though generally only if the rest of it is hard to read). All it did was send the wrong message about who we were and what we actually do here and what we actually stand for, drowning out any legitimate criticism of the community or website. It was unnecessary (as well as childish and cliquish) then, and it's unnecessary now.

In addition to the main website, once the wiki launches, we'll have pretty heavy SEO on all the various name spellings, and each character page in the wiki has a detailed explanation on pun source, historical name spellings, and what our preferred spelling is. That is actually helpful.

Here on the forum, if you legitimately can't tell which character someone is talking about, just ask, and then once you know, maybe helpfully offer up some insight on a more faithful alternative.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:34 am All that's in effect today are corrections for misspellings of misspellings, and it's probably not even that many (things like "Krillen", which is nothing, but tons of people use because they don't actually know the name).
i actually did this for a looong time whenever i wanted to spell kuririn, it wasn't until i watched the anime (i know that the viz manga used kuririn but i still read it as krillin ? i did the same with Launch and Lunch, idk, i'm kinda dumb) that i actually learned how to spell it lol.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:55 pm

pepd wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 am Kurilin, Zābon, Molo and Maaku are more accurate to their pun origin: Kuri(Jap.chesnut), Shaolin, Zabon(Jap.pomelo), Moloch(the god) and Akuma(Jap.devil,demon).
Kuririn and Moro are the original names, but since the names are being translated, Kurilin and Molo would be most accurate.
Can someone please explain where this "Kuririn's name comes from shaolin" thing even comes from? Is there ANYTHING anywhere that even remotely hints at this, or is it just some desperate attempt at trying to connect that "rin" at the end of his name to some kind of word?

All Toriyama ever said about the name was that he just kinda halfassed it because he didn't think the character would stick around, which really suggests it's just "kurikuri" (meaning clean-shaven) with a cutesy "rin" thrown onto the end, not some crazy combination of unrelated words combined in a way more complex manner than any of his other puns. (He'd later associate the 栗 kanji with the character, and then ultimately gave him a daughter named Maron, after the French word for chestnut, marron, but that all came later)
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:34 am It's so funny how history repeats itself.

Via a combination of our own incredibly petty decision as well as in response to community request, we had a moderately-extensive filter a long time ago (remember, this current install of the forum dates back to 2004), which probably was in effect for a few years? In addition to some of the traditional FUNimation-only name spellings/changes (e.g., "Frieza", "Tien", "Pikkon", "Hercule"), it handled some of the most egregious misspellings of those misspellings.

All that's in effect today are corrections for misspellings of misspellings, and it's probably not even that many (things like "Krillen", which is nothing, but tons of people use because they don't actually know the name).

We said at the time, all those years ago, that our intent was to remove the name filter when we got the wiki launched, because that would be one nice little "extra" in addition to the main website that would reinforce what we felt "proper" and "accurate" name spellings would be. Well, the wiki ain't launched yet, but we still got rid of most name filters a long time ago (though we occasionally do still fix up names in thread titles, though generally only if the rest of it is hard to read). All it did was send the wrong message about who we were and what we actually do here and what we actually stand for, drowning out any legitimate criticism of the community or website. It was unnecessary (as well as childish and cliquish) then, and it's unnecessary now.

In addition to the main website, once the wiki launches, we'll have pretty heavy SEO on all the various name spellings, and each character page in the wiki has a detailed explanation on pun source, historical name spellings, and what our preferred spelling is. That is actually helpful.

Here on the forum, if you legitimately can't tell which character someone is talking about, just ask, and then once you know, maybe helpfully offer up some insight on a more faithful alternative.
I appreciate the response, but even with the wiki, do you really think people will start using the right spellings? I personally don’t see anything wrong with a filter, people probably won’t notice it.