“I’m pretty cozy, here...”

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Re: “I’m pretty cozy, here...”

Post by Ssj3Engels » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:47 am

The comma is perhaps unnecessary, but I would not go so far so as to call it 'incorrect'.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:47 am The comma is perhaps unnecessary, but I would not go so far so as to call it 'incorrect'.
It's not even a comma splice, it is a blatantly incorrect usage of the comma.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:47 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 am
Ssj3Engels wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:47 am The comma is perhaps unnecessary, but I would not go so far so as to call it 'incorrect'.
Wrong. In Portuguese (my native language), the phrase translates as ''Eu estou bem aconchegado, aqui...''. That does not sound wrong at all. I doubt the comma usage differs that much between these two languages.

But then again, why am I defending something VegettoEX randomly and carelessly wrote almost 20 years ago?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:03 am

Ssj3Engels wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:47 am
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:24 am
Wrong. In Portuguese (my mother tongue), the phrase translates as ''Eu estou bem aconchegado, aqui...''. That does not sound wrong at all. I doubt the comma usage differs that much between the two languages.
It does sound wrong in English...that's why this thread was made, dude.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:02 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:47 am Wrong. In Portuguese (my native language), the phrase translates as ''Eu estou bem aconchegado, aqui...''. That does not sound wrong at all. I doubt the comma usage differs that much between these two languages.
Wrong. The usage of commas in English and Portuguese is, for the most part, the same. And it's wrong in Portuguese too.

Putting a comma after "cozy/aconchegado" infer you are about to convey another message, as in: "I'm cozy, here I have everything I need", "estou aconchegado, aqui tenho tudo de que preciso".

Without the comma, you're saying you're cozy in the place you find yourself in, providing full context without the need of another sentence. Ending it with ", here" does require another sentence for total comprehension, otherwise it's wrong.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:19 pm

Petition that we change this rank to "This comm ai pretty cozy, here..."
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:59 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:02 pm
Ssj3Engels wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:47 am Wrong. In Portuguese (my native language), the phrase translates as ''Eu estou bem aconchegado, aqui...''. That does not sound wrong at all. I doubt the comma usage differs that much between these two languages.
Wrong. The usage of commas in English and Portuguese is, for the most part, the same. And it's wrong in Portuguese too.

Putting a comma after "cozy/aconchegado" infer you are about to convey another message, as in: "I'm cozy, here I have everything I need", "estou aconchegado, aqui tenho tudo de que preciso".

Without the comma, you're saying you're cozy in the place you find yourself in, providing full context without the need of another sentence. Ending it with ", here" does require another sentence for total comprehension, otherwise it's wrong.
Well, let's try to make it as simple as possible, ok?

Consider these two sentences in Portuguese:

''Está bem então''.

''Está bem, então''.

Neither one is wrong, right? What I am saying is that ''I'm pretty cozy, here...'' is analogous. The comma usage is optional, not wrong.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:45 pm

Apples and oranges. The word "então" has its own rules regarding to the use of commas. I highly suggest doing some research. And no, in "I'm pretty cozy here" there's no optional comma.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:06 pm

English is not Portuguese. They don't even have the same roots, for the most part. English is mostly Germanic, while Portuguese is a Romance language. Just accept that you are wrong here, and we can all move on from this.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:45 pm Apples and oranges. The word "então" has its own rules regarding to the use of commas. I highly suggest doing some research. And no, in "I'm pretty cozy here" there's no optional comma.
I actually DID some research, and I found this:

https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... efore-here.

This particular sentence is structurally very similar to the one the OP took issue with. Can we say that it's wrong, too? Most of the commentators seemed to think otherwise.
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:06 pm English is not Portuguese. They don't even have the same roots, for the most part. English is mostly Germanic, while Portuguese is a Romance language. Just accept that you are wrong here, and we can all move on from this.
I should have ignored you, but you really seem to be saying "you are fucking wrong, just accept that". So, can we say you are in fact discouraging debate in a public forum?

Also, who is forcing you to read any of this?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:58 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:58 pmI actually DID some research, and I found this:

This particular sentence is structurally very similar to the one the OP took issue with. Can we say that it's wrong, too? Most of the commentators seemed to think otherwise.
But did you actually read what they say? We are not in grammar's field anymore, we're in some sort of transcription of the spoken language. As they explained, the comma was used to show a pause, that comma might appear when you go and transcribe someone and they emphasised the word "here" in their speech, as in: "the murdering happened here, here!", "the person was robbed, (right) there!".

This is something known in Portuguese as "Estilística", it is a branch of linguistics that studies the way people talk. It is unrelated to the grammatical rules (but that's not to say it ignores grammar altogether). Anyway, it's best that you read it for yourself, I'm not good at teaching/explaining stuff (hence why I'm a translator, not a teacher! :P). I recommend that you do a degree in languages if you're so interested, you'll learn lots of cool and interesting stuff!

But in terms of grammar, yes, we can say it's wrong.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:36 am

Grimlock wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:58 pm
Ssj3Engels wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:58 pmI actually DID some research, and I found this:

But did you actually read what they say?
Yes, and they wrote stuff like:

"The comma is there to add emphasis".

And:

"Okay. So a comma is not a wrong thing there!!".

Furthermore:

"but if 'here' is emphasised [...] a pause to add more emphasis might well be valid".

From 3 different persons.

So I guess my 'point' would be: in our case, can't the comma be there to show emphasis?

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:51 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:06 pmThey don't even have the same roots, for the most part.
But they are both Indo-European. That's the same language family. So yes, they are comparable.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Ssj3Engels wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:36 am So I guess my 'point' would be: in our case, can't the comma be there to show emphasis?
No.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Half-related but for the longest time I thought Crazy Reg was an actual person, some legendary user from ages past. I only found out yesterday it actually just means Crazy Regular.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: “I’m pretty, cozy here...”

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm

VegettoEX changed it and put the comma after "pretty"!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Re: “I’m pretty, cozy here...”

Post by Ssj3Engels » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:43 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:45 pm VegettoEX changed it and put the comma after "pretty"!

But how do you know that it was actually him and not some other admin? 8)

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:18 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Ssj3Engels wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:36 am So I guess my 'point' would be: in our case, can't the comma be there to show emphasis?
No.
I will still go with the link I provided, in which someone said: "I would only set a comma if the sentence were to convey: "Members of parliament can criticize other members, here." - but not elsewhere. (i.e. "Only this is the place to do this.")".

Since you can't/won't justify your "no"...

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssj3Engels » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:08 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:02 pm

I think it's cool that you work as translator (unless I have misunderstood you). Would you happen to know where I could find a job as translator, as well?

(By the way, did you disable the PM function? This post would better fit PM, imo). :lol:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:58 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:13 pm Half-related but for the longest time I thought Crazy Reg was an actual person, some legendary user from ages past. I only found out yesterday it actually just means Crazy Regular.
I thought it was crazy regen lol like some great zenkai ability.