Necropost

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssj3Engels
Beyond Newbie

Necropost

Post by Ssj3Engels » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:23 am

It's been repeated here over the years (or simply parroted) that necroposting is against the forum rules, "which you agreed, twice, prior to registration" (Oh my! I'm so scared of the Banhammer!!!*).

Be that as it may, the term "necroposting" (or any of its relatives) is actually not mentioned anywhere in the "Rules" (scaryyyyyyy shit! I even wrote with a capital R now).

That being said...is this more of a "nettiquete" thingie...?

*In case you didn't "gotcha", that was sarcasm...

Kaboom

Re: Necropost

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm

There was an actual rule against necro-posting for a long time, but it was removed at some point. I don't even remember how long ago. But rule or not, it's still kind of a pain to deal with.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:27 pm

also it just doesn't make much sense too bump a thread where likely the posters in it either have stopped using the forum, or don't even remember posting in it. may as well just give everyone a fresh start with a new thread.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:33 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:27 pm also it just doesn't make much sense too bump a thread where likely the posters in it either have stopped using the forum, or don't even remember posting in it. may as well just give everyone a fresh start with a new thread.
Especially if all that does is ignite a new argument within the previously dormant thread.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:44 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:27 pm also it just doesn't make much sense too bump a thread where likely the posters in it either have stopped using the forum, or don't even remember posting in it. may as well just give everyone a fresh start with a new thread.
Some of the old threads are really interesting though. And what if you want to make a post about the suggest, why would it be better to make a new thread in that case? I'm one of those who never really understood and I still don't understand why necroposting is so bad. What's the reason for this?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:27 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:44 am
Some of the old threads are really interesting though. And what if you want to make a post about the suggest, why would it be better to make a new thread in that case? I'm one of those who never really understood and I still don't understand why necroposting is so bad. What's the reason for this?
What old threads are in themselves so interesting that you can't simply make a new thread about the same subject instead of going "hey do you remember saying this 8 years ago?" to a bunch of people that may or may not see your response at all?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:40 am

Adamant wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:27 am
What old threads are in themselves so interesting that you can't simply make a new thread about the same subject instead of going "hey do you remember saying this 8 years ago?" to a bunch of people that may or may not see your response at all?
Sometimes you have interesting replies in older threads.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:42 am

I guess I'll weigh in.

At some point I did some work condensing the overall forum rules page. It was overwhelming, intimating, and needlessly verbose to the point of confusion. It probably still is.

At that point, I removed the "necroposting" item. It's rarely an issue, and when it does pop up, I or one of the other admin/mod team members cleans it up.

The fact that it has a name like "necroposting" should be pretty telling: it's the act of responding to an old thread, where it's so old that it's unacceptable. As has been outlined, "necroposting" has numerous downsides:
  • Anime fandom is constantly churning. We generally look at people being "in it" for about two years, and then moving on. This extends to things like online communities. While there are a bunch of lifers here, we're also kept alive by new blood coming in and out. When you respond to an old thread, the likelihood of you being able to talk to the people that posted there is... slim, at best, so at that point, why bother? What are you accomplishing?
  • It's incredibly confusing to see a thread pop up, start reading through it, and find you've already responded in it. Two years ago. Ten years ago. Fifteen years ago...?!
  • There's no reason you can't just start a new thread. It's not like there is a data limit on the forum.
  • Particularly if there's any "drama", why bother dragging it back out? (When you do this, it's wildly transparent that you're just looking to instigate.)
Yes, we do have the option of automatically locking old threads after a pre-determined amount of time. No, we will not be turning that option on (or at least have no plans to do so right now). Every once in a while there is a genuinely worthwhile reason to respond to an older thread, particularly something that falls in a weird limbo area of not being too old yet but still being older than "usual" for these types of things. We don't think it's worth drawing the line on that. It's easier to just deal with it and explain "hey, please don't do that."

Yes, other communities have different rules and outlooks on "necroposting." That's cool. I get it. Every place grows, matures, and adapts in its own way. Maybe their overall member size and longevity deems it not an issue. Maybe the type of content they discuss somehow makes it work for them. Whatever!

(I honestly wonder how it even is in the first place that people go back and even find old threads to respond to. It's not like you're just a rando person Googling for a solution to something and then finding a particularly-well-SEOed old thread; you're purposefully going out of your find to be an active member, find something old, and respond to it. How/why do you even do that...?)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:48 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:40 am
Adamant wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:27 am

Sometimes you have interesting replies in older threads.
Again, what replies are so interesting that you need to go "hey do you remember saying this 8 years ago?" to someone who most likely a) won't see your question, b) doesn't remember saying that, c) doesn't remember why they said that or d) changed their mind long ago? Do you have any examples of such interesting replies?
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:04 pm

Any time an old thread pops back up that I posted in it is the weirdest feeling for me. It's like "who is this chick?"

I personally don't think that it's that big of a deal but also, I can't remember far back, either. Why reply to someone that basically no longer exists?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:54 pm

I haven't been a member here long enough to have that reaction, but I'd imagine it's similar to the Facebook post "reminders" you get after a year or more. More often than not, I don't like seeing what I posted a year or more ago, as I like to think I've grown as a person and don't want a reminder. Especially if I don't even feel the way I felt when I made the post/comment. I imagine longtime members here generally feel that way if an old comment they left gets replied to.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but it's generally weird. I trust it'll be well dealt-with here when/if it comes up, though, so nbd.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:56 pm

thanks for clarifying it, VegettoEX.

When I was a heavy poster in other ezboard forums (2004-2008) it was as bad as a capital sin to repost and talk about a topic that had been previously dicussed, it was our responsibility to actively look up the topic and make sure it was not repeated before posting anything, but it makes perfect sense what you mentioned about the original poster being no longer present. I will keep that in mind from now on, I appreciate it.

:thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:54 pm I haven't been a member here long enough to have that reaction, but I'd imagine it's similar to the Facebook post "reminders" you get after a year or more. More often than not, I don't like seeing what I posted a year or more ago, as I like to think I've grown as a person and don't want a reminder. Especially if I don't even feel the way I felt when I made the post/comment. I imagine longtime members here generally feel that way if an old comment they left gets replied to.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, but it's generally weird. I trust it'll be well dealt-with here when/if it comes up, though, so nbd.
*a photo of me from five years ago shows up*

Welp, time to vomit.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:42 am (I honestly wonder how it even is in the first place that people go back and even find old threads to respond to. It's not like you're just a rando person Googling for a solution to something and then finding a particularly-well-SEOed old thread; you're purposefully going out of your find to be an active member, find something old, and respond to it. How/why do you even do that...?)
i can only speak for myself but i think a lot of times people search for old topics just because their interested in something, and sometimes people just don't know that it's generally considered a general forum faux pas or discouraged on here. or they just may not notice the date lol, i know i've read threads that are older then i was when i joined here and not even noticed the date till the last page or something.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:42 am
(I honestly wonder how it even is in the first place that people go back and even find old threads to respond to. It's not like you're just a rando person Googling for a solution to something and then finding a particularly-well-SEOed old thread; you're purposefully going out of your find to be an active member, find something old, and respond to it. How/why do you even do that...?)
It's when you use the search option in the forum, Mike. Then you can stumble upon some interesting or entertaining threads.

Another question, how old must the thread be to be considered "necro post" and be locked?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:59 am

That's just the thing: I don't use search options in forums. If I want to engage in a forum, I'm going to engage in recent topic activities. I don't need to search for those, because they're the ones on the first page or two. Why would I respond to an old conversation?

(Of course I know the actual technological "how" of how people find old threads; what I'm getting at is why on earth would you use that functionality to find something to respond to? This just seems like basic common sense to me.)

(The only time I use a forum's search function, and quite frankly the only forum I'm ever searching is this one, is when I'm looking to track down something like the original source of some kind of news tidbit or an old post of mine that I want to reference/re-paste into a new, current, ongoing discussion.)

It's really hard for me to have this conversation, because I genuinely have a hard time wrapping my head around the process by which someone actively knows how to use technology, understands the things they're clicking and typing, reads what they're doing every step along the way, and decides, "Yes, this decade-old thread is something I'm going to respond to" (and not be purposefully looking to instigate trouble). To me that's the equivalent of... gosh, I don't even know what comparison I can make here. Using a wrench to hammer in a nail? It's just such a bizarre thought and action process that I'm a bit flabbergasted.

As previously noted, there is no set time frame for when a thread is "too old." It's a case-by-case basis. Generally there's no reason you need to respond to a thread that's ten years old, though, right?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:53 am

I mean, I think it's interesting to read old threads to understand the mood of the time. It can also feel nostalgic to do so. Replying can revive said thread, too, without cluttering the forum with seventeen different threads about who one's favorite composer is while also providing a historical context for discussion, too.

Eh, call me an optimist.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:53 am I mean, I think it's interesting to read old threads to understand the mood of the time. It can also feel nostalgic to do so. Replying can revive said thread, too, without cluttering the forum with seventeen different threads about who one's favorite composer is while also providing a historical context for discussion, too.

Eh, call me an optimist.
That's probably best-case scenario of when it might make sense to reply to an old thread. But on the flip-side, if someone re-starts up discussion in an old thread about "Why Vegeta is [insert some less-than-positive term here]" or "Are you annoyed by ____," I doubt they have good intentions.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:52 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:21 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:53 am I mean, I think it's interesting to read old threads to understand the mood of the time. It can also feel nostalgic to do so. Replying can revive said thread, too, without cluttering the forum with seventeen different threads about who one's favorite composer is while also providing a historical context for discussion, too.

Eh, call me an optimist.
That's probably best-case scenario of when it might make sense to reply to an old thread. But on the flip-side, if someone re-starts up discussion in an old thread about "Why Vegeta is [insert some less-than-positive term here]" or "Are you annoyed by ____," I doubt they have good intentions.
Yeah, I imagine only bad things would come of some people necroposting.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter