A question for Julian

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

disturbed001
Regular

A question for Julian

Post by disturbed001 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:09 pm

So I've been thinking about how cool it is that Julian lives in Japan. I mean come on, who at 23 is able to live in Japan?

So I was wondering just how Julian is able to afford living there. I mean I know he's a teacher, (not to be stalk-ish) but how exactly did he get where he is now? Id just love to know.
"hmm lets see.....nope, I don't have any Jewish candy"

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:10 pm

Japan has a quite thriving and prominent adult entertainment industry.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:29 pm

Who's Julian? Sounds like a English name?

Other than that, I would also like to know who Herms is. He keeps referring to Kanzentai.com, yet he isn't in the staff list. The only guy other than Huijo is someone named DWB or something like that, but that guy is American. So how can Herms read Japanese?

No stalk-ence :P

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:58 pm

shotkeeper wrote:Other than that, I would also like to know who Herms is.
Herms is the greatest manga and Daizenshuu translator ever!
Last edited by SSj_Rambo on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:04 pm

shotkeeper wrote:I would also like to know who Herms is. He keeps referring to Kanzentai.com, yet he isn't in the staff list. The only guy other than Huijo is someone named DWB or something like that, but that guy is American.
Herms is part of the Kanzentai staff, I just haven't updated the staff page in forever... DBW isn't even on the staff anymore (he's retired). So yeah, it's a little old.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:07 pm

shotkeeper wrote:Who's Julian? Sounds like a English name?

Other than that, I would also like to know who Herms is. He keeps referring to Kanzentai.com, yet he isn't in the staff list. The only guy other than Huijo is someone named DWB or something like that, but that guy is American. So how can Herms read Japanese?

No stalk-ence :P

>> Are you implying that you have to live in Japan to speak or read Japanese?

So Rachel, Herms, Julian, and a few others I'm probably forgetting must've been faking it all along :O And I must not know English because I'm not from England. MEIN GOTT.

... I'll be good.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:10 am

Well English is a world Language, why don't you come talk Dutch here. Let's see if you can do that. No you can't. Unless you're Dutch.

And I never said it's not possible for them, I only wondered HOW?

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:18 am

Hey, please not fighting. I actually want an answer to my question, I don't want this to get locked. Thanks

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:21 pm

shotkeeper wrote:Well English is a world Language, why don't you come talk Dutch here. Let's see if you can do that.
Niet.
shotkeeper wrote:And I never said it's not possible for them, I only wondered HOW?
The same way a Japanese person speaks Japanese. They learn the language. Where you're from/what your race/ethnicity is doesn't have anything to do with what languages you can speak (aside from which one is your native language).
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:48 am

Xyex wrote:
shotkeeper wrote:Well English is a world Language, why don't you come talk Dutch here. Let's see if you can do that.
Niet.
shotkeeper wrote:And I never said it's not possible for them, I only wondered HOW?
The same way a Japanese person speaks Japanese. They learn the language. Where you're from/what your race/ethnicity is doesn't have anything to do with what languages you can speak (aside from which one is your native language).
Huh, who was talking to you lol.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:20 am

shotkeeper wrote:
Xyex wrote:
Niet.
Huh, who was talking to you lol.
He doesn't need your permission to respond to a post. He was simply answering your question. Way to be totally obnoxious and rude.
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:32 am

Christ, I go away for a few days and this shit starts happening?

Shotkeeper, shut your goddamn mouth. 'Julian' is a Latin name (it means 'youthful'), Herms has been doing translations for things here for months (and we all appreciate it) and just finished doing the first two daizenshuu over at Kanzentai, and he probably learned Japanese the same way everyone learns a second language - by friggin' learning it. *deep breath* English isn't a 'world' language, it's simply more popular to learn as a second language than many others (like Dutch) and more people learn it as a first language than many other languages (again, like Dutch), and people outside Holland can learn and speak Dutch, and Xyex (and anyone else) can respond to your public forum post you enormous jackass.

I'm too busy for this shit. *goes and works on the new AF pages and the side stories again*

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:06 pm

So anyway, is Julian around to tell his story?

Guess not :(
Last edited by disturbed001 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:22 pm

disturbed001 wrote:So anyway, its Julian around to tell him story?
Yes, I's am around to tell me story. Anyways:

I applied for the JET Program (as a CIR rather than an ALT), and made it to the interview stage, but got waitlisted after. Rather than wait forever in limbo, I signed on with an English conversation school, which promptly went bankrupt and I was forced to find a new job in a hurry. I joined an ALT dispatch company, teaching in some public junior high schools and elementary schools, then made the jump to working directly for a school district for this academic year. As for money... it ain't exactly great, unless you find a super-nice school district or you work for the JET Program. I supplement my income through private lessons and such, but it's basically enough to keep things running, not to accumulate massive fortunes or anything.

Of course, the experience in being over here is well worth the hardship, and I enjoy every minute of it. :)
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

disturbed001
Regular

Post by disturbed001 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:
disturbed001 wrote:So anyway, its Julian around to tell him story?
Yes, I am around to tell me story. Anyways:

I applied for the JET Program (as a CIR rather than an ALT), and made it to the interview stage, but got waitlisted after. Rather than wait forever in limbo, I signed on with an English conversation school, which promptly went bankrupt and I was forced to find a new job in a hurry. I joined an ALT dispatch company, teaching in some public junior high schools and elementary schools, then made the jump to working directly for a school district for this academic year. As for money... it ain't exactly great, unless you find a super-nice school district or you work for the JET Program. I supplement my income through private lessons and such, but it's basically enough to keep things running, not to accumulate massive fortunes or anything.

Of course, the experience in being over here is well worth the hardship, and I enjoy every minute of it. :)
Right on. I just thought it was cool how you got over there and are doing what you are.

Sorry about my bad grammer, I thought faster then I typed.

But anyway, thanks again, that sounds like a pretty fun lifestyle you got there. Is your apartment very big?
Last edited by disturbed001 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:33 pm

disturbed001 wrote:But anyway, thanks again, that sounds like a pretty fun lifestyle you got there. Is you apartment very big?
Um, it's about as big as the dorm room I had in college, though the dorm room didn't have a washing machine or kitchen taking up space. In Japanese apartment lingo, it's called a "1K".
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Son Wukong
Regular

Re: A question for Julian

Post by Son Wukong » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:06 pm

disturbed001 wrote:So I've been thinking about how cool it is that Julian lives in Japan. I mean come on, who at 23 is able to live in Japan?
I really don't think that the general idea we have about Japan is al that realistic. Especially when we are introduced to it via anime. Taking myself as an example, when I got into the anime world I thought Japan had to be a heaven on earth. But the bodem line is that it Japan is like any other country.
It has its great side, its good side, its bad side and its worst side. Because it is the very same Japan where the great director Hayao Miyazaki comes from but also the very same Japan that hunts for the precious whales under the disguise of ''scientific research''. Ofcourse it's great that Julian lives there but the cultural aspect is more complicated than most people think. I'm sure Julian was very well prepared before making such a descision. Weren't you, Julian?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Son Wukong wrote: Taking myself as an example, when I got into the anime world I thought Japan had to be a heaven on earth.
I've heard a lot of people say this. In fact, in one of the podcasts, Andrew Deluxe mentioned that programs like JET are having problems with the anime fans they send over to Japan becoming disillusioned and depressed when they realize Japan isn't paradise.

I personally never quite understood this. I guess for me, in all the anime I ever saw that were actually set in Japan, Japan was always portrayed as either a dystopian cyber-punk and/or post-apocolyptic society (Ghost in the Shell, Akira), or constantly being attacked by monsters (Evangelion, Boogiepop Phantom, Digimon, way too many others to list). Neither of those seemed too appealing. Now obviously I didn't conclude that the real Japan was a dystopian society constantly under attack by monsters, but I was left with a lot of unpleasent mental associations.

Compared to that, all of the really fun, up-beat anime that I was familiar with early on (like DragonBall) were set in fantasy worlds or other places that weren't Japan. Lots of anime revolved around characters being transported away from the ordinary world of Japan to some fantasy place where they'd have all kinds of adventures (Escaflowne, Fushigi Yuugi, Digimon again). It didn't seem to me that Japanese people saw Japan as being too exciting a place.

So I guess I don't get how all these anime fans are coming away from anime with the impression that Japan is this wonderful place. I guess they've just watched different anime than I have.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 pm

Herms wrote:So I guess I don't get how all these anime fans are coming away from anime with the impression that Japan is this wonderful place. I guess they've just watched different anime than I have.
I'm sure that one of the reasons so many anime fans (including me) desire to visit Japan is because of how anime is accepted throughout the country and most of the places you can go to there is a large possibility that you might finally meet someone who can share your feelings towards your favorite anime.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:06 pm

A wonder how Julian is able to be sleep when he got there since in Japan it's day when it's night in the United States, mostly since he lived in the eastern part. It must also be rough when he comes and goes back.