Why Is Super DBZ Disliked By So Many?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Why Is Super DBZ Disliked By So Many?

Post by Pain » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Tomorrow, I'm going to Gamestop to buy Super DBZ, and I want to know a few things about it, first.

Ever since it was release, I've read a lot of mixed reviews. Some praise the game for its unique "Manga-espue" character designs and backgrounds. While others criticize it for its lack of characters and big story mode.

So I wanna ask you guys something: Would you recommend Super DBZ and do you think that it has replay value?

---Pain---
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:19 pm

The reason people dont like it is because of the controls. It used the old 'quarter turn' like [down,bottom right, right] instead of a few button presses.

I got used to it after giving it some time BUT using those controls gives you a lot more moves.

I gave krillin like 7 different moves anf hes the best I use in the game.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Cons:

-Uses the so-ancient-it's-no-longer-moldy-because-the-mold-itself-has-rotted-away system of "spin control stick, mash buttons and hope the computer reads your half-turn as a half-turn and not a quarter-turn because you were two microns off".

-Unless you cheat, it takes a stupidly long time to unlock things. Every single alternate outfit is a wish on the Dragonballs. Each wish needs you to win seven DBs. Each character has ten alternate outfits. There's fourteen characters.

7 Dragonballs x 10 outfits x 14 characters = 980 fights where you HAVE to win a Dragonball

And that doesn't even count the other wishes you can make from the Dragon. Or that most of the alternate outfits are just shitty recolors and you can't choose which outfit you get from the wish.

-AI is a cheap bastard, especially Freeza.

-Even with that, the game is easy. I got a perfect as ChiChi versus Freeza by randomly smashing the buttans. If you have no humans to play against, the game's not worth it - the AI is too hard/frustrating to make SDBZ a fun little pickup-and-play game (fall out of any scrap of practice you have and you'll get bumraped) but at the same time, your spastic flailing can still defeat the AI enough times there's no pressure to become supaa-l33tzu.

-Super Saiyan burns out in ten seconds. Yes it's a little thing, but it grinds the wrong nerve on me.

-Vegetto's not in it.

Pros:

-23rd Budokai ChiChi is a character.

-ChiChi has her armor bikini as an alternate.

-The art's pretty.

Conclusion:

Get it if you and your buddies are a bunch of old whitebearded fogies who can remember the 1980s.

Get it if you're simply happy that 23rd Budokai ChiChi actually got into a game, instead of her being totally omitted (Advance Adventure), completely ignored (PS2 fighters that include Videl) or kept out because the game designer is a pedophile and gets off on twelve-year-old asscrack (Tenkaichi 3).

Either way, don't spend too much on it.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Honestly I did NOT like super DBZ. Here is why. It's not lack of characters, It's not lack of story. Here are my reasons :

1) It's the controls. Now hear me out on this one. They claimed at first it would play like street fighter. Now had it actually of played like SF then it would have been great..

However it felt much easier than street fighter. To the point of been as easy if not more so than Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 1 which would be ok but it was not how it should have been. It just seemed broken all round.

2) Mecha Frieza - such a big deal was made out of Akira Toriyama designing a new Mecha Frieza. However the design was just so bad. Big cannon ect.. it felt UnFrieza like.

3) Customization - It was basically like the "get to level 99" modes from the Budokai game only again it felt broken as the mode just was implicated badly IMO

4) Getting the dragon balls to wish. You did it by a roulette game wich was just annoying really.

My final opinion is this "Would you recommend Super DBZ and do you think that it has replay value?" Replay value - not really as the overall game was so broke you wont want to replay it.

As for recommend. Then NO. If you want a great dbz fighter get Budokai 3, If you wants lots of characters and don't care about the fighting aspect then Budokai Tenkaichi 3. If you want a classic fighter like street fighter wait for Marvel vs Capcom 2 or get Street fighter HD. (Marvel vs capcom and SF HD are on xbox live and PSN)

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:29 pm

What those two said is about right. It's kind of enjoyable, especially with friends. It's an interesting change of pace, and probably stands as the best DBZ "fighter" of the PS2 bunch. Yes, even BT3- which is more fun, but still IMO has a fairly simplistic fighting engine and feels more like a DBZ sim to me.

For some reason, though, people kept comparing SDBZ to Street Fighter games... and it controls nothing like them. The rotation followed by button formula for moves is the same concept, but that's where the similarities end. The game's a little clunky, but that's easy to overcome.

Chi Chi is like the best character in the game for some reason. Her and Piccolo Daimao (who was my big draw to the game). And they have some version of Freeza with a bazooka. Apparently Toriyama designed it for the game, and apparently this was a big deal.

The graphics are nice. It isn't anime-based, it's manga-based. I like the asthetic.

Unlocking things was utterly ridiculous, as Rocketman described above.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:08 am

These are valid criticisms, but considering how cheap this should be you may very well get your money's worth out of it. If you like arcade style fighters, go for it. You may also like it if you love the idea of a DBZ game with features and references not found in the other games, such as Chi Chi, Giant Piccolo, King Kai's planet, and even a brief glimpse at Suppa Man.

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:56 am

Because the majority of people who buy DBZ games in the west are 14-year old boys who need flashy graphics and easy controls to wow them.

Otherwise it's shit.
I'm not ready for this.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:21 am

I bought it the day it came out and I still play from time to time. I say BUY IT; it must be cheap by now and its a nice break from the BT type controls.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:07 am

I'd say at the price it probably is now, it's definitely worth it.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:20 pm

"Do you like Street Fighter?"
The answer to this question also applies to Dragonball fans wanting to know "Do you like Super Dragonball Z"
I fucking love Super Dragonball Z. Many people complain about not being able to pull off movement, because simply put, it requires more skill than "Forward + O".
I've never encountered a problem with the controls, and embraced the 3D aspects of the game as well, not to mention the beautiful manga visuals.

To sum up, if you're a guy who usually posts on Youtube about how "bduokai is betta because its 3d and has more charcters", then you won't like Super Dragonball Z. On the other hand, if you're willing to play a game with a suprising amount of depth, gorgeous visuals, and an interesting 2D/3D gameplay style (not to mention have already been aquainted with the gameplay from the Street Fighter, King of Fighters, and Virtua Fighter series.), you'll fall in love with Super Dragonball Z.
Rocketman wrote:Get it if you and your buddies are a bunch of old whitebearded fogies who can remember the 1980s.
Just one quoted responce for this thread. I never got this statement. If I play F.E.A.R, does that make me a fogie who wants to reminisce about Doom? If I play play Twilight Princess, am I doing to for nostalgia kicks over OoT? It's a fighting game, a true one at that. A true fighting game is a genre which is still going strong, this is showcased by the massivley sucsessful Street Fighter IV, the equally impressive BlazBlue, and the upcoming King of Fighters XII. These are all games within a genre, one that was left dead for a while, but is coming back in full force. Super Dragonball Z is in no way a "fogies" game.

Pain

Post by Pain » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts on the game. At my Gamestop, it costs about 7 bucks. I just hope it's really worth my money.
DominatorLost wrote:Because the majority of people who buy DBZ games in the west are 14-year old boys who need flashy graphics and easy controls to wow them.

Otherwise it's shit.
I'm 14, and I get sick of all of the flashiness that I see in games like Meteor!, sometimes. I think this game might prove to be a great break from that.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:03 pm

Pain wrote:Thank you all for your thoughts on the game. At my Gamestop, it costs about 7 bucks.
I don't understand why you're posting on the forums and not sticking this game into your PS2, then. :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Pain

Post by Pain » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:14 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Pain wrote:Thank you all for your thoughts on the game. At my Gamestop, it costs about 7 bucks.
I don't understand why you're posting on the forums and not sticking this game into your PS2, then. :D
My dad wants me to wait until 5 PM to go to Gamestop. :cry:

And if I had it, that's exactly what I'd be doing. :lol:

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:30 pm

I hope you enjoy your game. :)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:56 pm

Rory wrote:Many people complain about not being able to pull off movement, because simply put, it requires more skill than "Forward + O".
Pfft. Why should it require lots of practice and/or skill to use the most basic of attacks? Old fighting games had that system so you would fail a lot when playing and then keep having to beg your mom for quarters to try again, not for any higher purpose.

And in this modern age where we can buy games and take them home, there's no reason to have the controls be the greatest enemy.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Rory wrote:A true fighting game is a genre which is still going strong, this is showcased by the massivley sucsessful Street Fighter IV, the equally impressive BlazBlue, and the upcoming King of Fighters XII.
Yes, because in order to be a true fighting game it has to play the exact same as every other fighting game in the genre. Do you realize how closed-minded that mentality is? So games like War of the Monsters, because it's a free-range 3D fighting game, is not actually a true fighting game? What about boxing games? Boxing games aren't fighting games because it's not on a 2D plane and doesn't require you to memorize 28734 different button combinations?

Look, the fighting genre is expansive, it covers more than just Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Marvel vs. Capcom, ext. I'd say a game that uses a tired old fighting system that's been around for decades and has been used in hundreds of games before it, isn't staying true to the natural progression of gaming. There's no such thing as a true fighter. There's also no such thing as a true first person shooter, or a true platformer, or a true music game. Developers are allowed to play around with the genre and try to create new ways of experiencing one-on-one fighting, in fact, most people encourage that.

This is an offtopic post that is in no way about Super Dragon Ball Z. So on-topic: I played SDBZ once and it was pretty fun, I didn't know what the hell I was doing but it was fun for a while. It's definitely not something I'd go out and buy for myself, but it isn't something that I would recommend fans of the fighting style avoid.

Maphisto86
Patreon Supporter

Post by Maphisto86 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:07 pm

I love Super Dragonball Z but I do have some qualms about it. The biggest one is the controller scheme . . . rotating with the control stick or d-pad is something I am not good at. I sucked at old school fighting games so when the Budokai and Meteor series of fighting games came out with their idiot proof control scheme I loved it. I also don't like how the controls reverse depending on the direction your character faces . . . even though it is a cool and slightly realistic dynamic. Maybe if the controls where easier I wouldn't mind but I often point the stick in the wrong direction and paying for it.

The only other thing that I dislike is the costume set up. I mean I like a few of the palette swaps of the default costume, some of the color combination look great but do they have to be so many? And with only one alternate costume? In this day and age I think more then one costume should be the norm.

Other than that I have no real qualms about the game. I don't "hate" Super Dragonball Z by any stretch of the imagination. I hate the controls but that is only because they keep me from enjoying an otherwise great fighting game.

P.S. Not specific to the game itself, but it sucks how the North American version does not have access to the Japanese voice cast. :(

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Rocketman wrote:Pfft. Why should it require lots of practice and/or skill to use the most basic of attacks? Old fighting games had that system so you would fail a lot when playing and then keep having to beg your mom for quarters to try again, not for any higher purpose.

And in this modern age where we can buy games and take them home, there's no reason to have the controls be the greatest enemy.
How about making characters genuinley unqiue? So that if I pick Goku and do a Kamehameha, it's not going to be EXACTLY the same as picking Kuririn, and using a Kienzan. The payoff is so much greater when you've mastered several fighting styles in a game, it shows not only more depth in the game, individuality to the characters, but more replayablity also.
Innagadadavida wrote:Yes, because in order to be a true fighting game it has to play the exact same as every other fighting game in the genre. Do you realize how closed-minded that mentality is? So games like War of the Monsters, because it's a free-range 3D fighting game, is not actually a true fighting game? What about boxing games? Boxing games aren't fighting games because it's not on a 2D plane and doesn't require you to memorize 28734 different button combinations?

Look, the fighting genre is expansive, it covers more than just Street Fighter, King of Fighters, Marvel vs. Capcom, ext. I'd say a game that uses a tired old fighting system that's been around for decades and has been used in hundreds of games before it, isn't staying true to the natural progression of gaming. There's no such thing as a true fighter. There's also no such thing as a true first person shooter, or a true platformer, or a true music game. Developers are allowed to play around with the genre and try to create new ways of experiencing one-on-one fighting, in fact, most people encourage that.
I'm aware my statement put down a lot of fighting games. You're right, the fighting genre is expansive, and there are tonnes of great ones out there, the Dragonball franchise included. But I do not consider these to be true fighting games. In my honest opinion, a true fighting game, is going down to the basic formula:
Guy on left. Guy on Right. Learn Combos. KILL THEY ASS!
You may think it's close minded, but I honestly believe a true fighting game consists of PURE fighting, hence the name of the genre. This is of course, a matter of opinion, and I gave it to you all mine rather strongly. But I'm not going to losen it up so that people don't get pissy.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Wait a minute ... are people not liking this game because they suck at it? I've been doing quarter circle forwards now for about eigtheen years now. I understand that the DualShock 2's directional pad was not the most quarter circle forward friendly but I was still able to bust them out pretty well.

I really liked Super Dragonball Z and the only reason I traded it in a year after release (like I did with a lot of great fighting games) was because i played the crap out of it and didn't have anyone to play with. I didn't have many fight game fans and even less Dragonball friends.

The game was really, really fun. the Skill Learning Tree feature is something that I wish other fighting games would incorporate. The Attack learning was amasing. Give one character the attacks of onther just opened up all kinds of possibilities. Alternate colors was something I really wasn't into back then. I always wanted the default colors, but it's started to grow on me now with SSF2HDR.

Super Saiyan is just a powerup in the game. Which takes one or two Power Bars. Power Bars are like the Super Combo Meters of Capcom fighting games.

If you do like Street Fighter, then you will like this game. If you struggle with the controls of Street Fighter games, then you will struggle with this game.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Here's a snip from the comments on a Super DBZ video I did:

littlespriter4735 (1 day ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam
Reply | Spam
rented this game. got boring after 30 seconds

LetsGoMichiganState (3 weeks ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam