When you go back to play the original Budokai....

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

When you go back to play the original Budokai....

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:55 pm

....after you've played the newer Budokais, the Sparking series, Infinte World, and the other Dragon Ball fighting games, do you feel like the game is harder?

I went back to play the game when I wanted to listen to the rendition of Cha-La Head-Cha-La that plays during the credits. So, I went straight to the final match between Gohan vs. Cell. I played it, and I found myself out of habit trying to teleport behind Cell. I also out of habit did the forward-circle command to try to do a Kamehameha right off the bat, but of course that didn't work. It took 10 to 15 tries just to beat him, but it was worth it.

Do any of you feel the same way?

~300th Post~

EDIT: I just realized I'm a Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie now! Woohoo!
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Eh not really, I've always had a BIG issue with how easy the Budokai games were. I think Infinite World nailed the difficulty levels for me. Normal actually felt like a moderate challenge as opposed to a snooze fest. Tenkaichi games still are mind numbingly easy in Duel Mode even on very hard. Maybe I just need to add attack and defense ups to my opponents.
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:28 pm

I actually find it easier because there's so much less to worry about. It's also a pretty broken game with not much depth to it. Having to listen to the English voices when I play it kind of makes it harder though. :P
­

Freeza.exe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza.exe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Taku128 wrote:I actually find it easier because there's so much less to worry about. It's also a pretty broken game with not much depth to it. Having to listen to the English voices when I play it kind of makes it harder though. :P
Mute+ Skinny Puppy play list is how I get through Budokai 1 and 2 myself friend. :lol:
My friend broke my PSP just in time for Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 to come out....WHOOOO!

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:39 pm

ki spam for the win!

The game was a blast and I miss the days of Combos in a DBZ game, now its just forward circle or up triangle as appose to PP-->PKE,PPKK(Fusion) and etc.

Looking back at it, the only problem I had with the first budokai was that the Kamehameha was yellow and not blue. Best part of me was that the first game had the best story mode thus far in any DBZ game. :P
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Ununbium
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ununbium » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:40 pm

It's pretty easy for me.
I only play it for the Cell-Kuririn What-if though. :P

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Maybe it's been too long since I've played it and I've forgotten how easy it is.

After all, I only faced the final boss when I went back to play it....

Maybe I'll have to go back and play Mr. Satan's "Legend" again....
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Mr. Satan had the best special ever!(Next to 16 because his said hell! :twisted: ). I mean now it's not that funny(because its in every game)but watching Cell, Vegeta, or any of the serious characters play a Game Boy Advance for the first time was HILARIOUS when I was 12. :lol: :lol:
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm

It's been a few years since I popped it in, but I distinctly remember it being MUCH LESS lenient in terms of the SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE TRIANGLE combos, in that you couldn't just press SQUARE a bazillion times really fast, eventually press TRIANGLE, and have the combo pull off flawlessly; you had to press the buttons the exact number of times and with the right timings, or it just wouldn't finish.

Also, I ripped myself that ending "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" instrumental so I wouldn't have to play the game to hear it :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's been a few years since I popped it in, but I distinctly remember it being MUCH LESS lenient in terms of the SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE TRIANGLE combos, in that you couldn't just press SQUARE a bazillion times really fast, eventually press TRIANGLE, and have the combo pull off flawlessly; you had to press the buttons the exact number of times and with the right timings, or it just wouldn't finish.
I believe you mean circle instead of triangle....

Yes, there was that. I know in the newer games, it automatically replaces the fifth square pressed with a circle to, you know, make things easier. I'm guilty of button-mashing square to get to circle though....
VegettoEX wrote:Also, I ripped myself that ending "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" instrumental so I wouldn't have to play the game to hear it :P .
Aw, but that takes the fun out of it! :P

Just kidding....

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Eh, I might go play it now to see if I still like it.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

TheNamek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheNamek » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:12 pm

>p p p k e

Oh the memories. I do remember being kinda pissed of the kamehameha was a yellow cloud that puffed when it hit and like EVERYONE had the super volley in the sky move.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:10 pm

VegettoEX wrote:It's been a few years since I popped it in, but I distinctly remember it being MUCH LESS lenient in terms of the SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE TRIANGLE combos, in that you couldn't just press SQUARE a bazillion times really fast, eventually press TRIANGLE, and have the combo pull off flawlessly; you had to press the buttons the exact number of times and with the right timings, or it just wouldn't finish.

Also, I ripped myself that ending "CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA" instrumental so I wouldn't have to play the game to hear it :P.
You are right with the precision in that game, I was twelve and not a good fighter at the time and that game was the fist time I sat down and memorized combos. I would sit in practice mode and watch the number of times I hit square practice doing combos that were pretty complicated for an anime fighting game(when you look at how easy they are to pick up these days). You actually had to be precise if you went over the combo wouldn't follow through. I can't remember the combo anymore but I think 16 gave me the most trouble.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Freeza.exe wrote:Maybe I just need to add attack and defense ups to my opponents.
You do. Ask Kunzait. I had to argue for days to get my friends into that before they realized how much better the matches got when everyone was upgraded.

This is especially true if YOU are using upgrades and your opponent (human or CPU) isn't.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:03 pm

I have not play it since 2003 or 2004, I remember renting the Gamecube version and I feel like that version was much better then the PS2 version since the controls feel better IMO.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:31 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I have not play it since 2003 or 2004, I remember renting the Gamecube version and I feel like that version was much better then the PS2 version since the controls feel better IMO.
I liked the look of the Gamecube version more than the PS2's but when it comes to fighting games I could never use the GC's controller.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:48 pm

Onikage725 wrote:
Freeza.exe wrote:Maybe I just need to add attack and defense ups to my opponents.
You do. Ask Kunzait. I had to argue for days to get my friends into that before they realized how much better the matches got when everyone was upgraded.

This is especially true if YOU are using upgrades and your opponent (human or CPU) isn't.
Y'know a need some good custom set ups myself, did anyone ever start a thread for this kind of thing?
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:32 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Y'know a need some good custom set ups myself, did anyone ever start a thread for this kind of thing?
Sounds like something that would be in a help thread for the Budokai games, like how there's help threads for Super DBZ, Sparking Neo, and Sparking Meteor.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:35 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:Y'know a need some good custom set ups myself, did anyone ever start a thread for this kind of thing?
Sounds like something that would be in a help thread for the Budokai games, like how there's help threads for Super DBZ, Sparking Neo, and Sparking Meteor.
Very true, I'll wade through it when I have the time to check and see. Thanks for the suggestion.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight