Dragon Ball Game Sales [Those phone games ... yikes]

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vashkey
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Boy did the recent games bomb (Sales Thread)

Post by Vashkey » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:17 pm

B wrote:Tenkaichi 3 was the only game I remember having a commercial, sans Legacy of Goku.
I think almost all if not all console Dragon Ball z games got televisions ads. I even remember Ultimate Battle 22 got a television ad.

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:56 am

When they make games they will need to break even or profit for sequels.

Investing in advertising is a great idea.

As for them advertising games in the UK it would most likely have been done by previews, reviews and advertise on gaming mags.

I've not seen any tv advertise for Dragonball games, but then again I don't watch advertisements.

During the month after release these games are really difficult to find in gaming retail stores. Low stock, so that demand is always more than supply.

Even UK based online is difficult to buy. So people will have to go to EU based online to buy games that will work on UK game systems. (Perhaps they should have region free gaming)
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:41 pm

I remember back in the day when we didn't have any DBZ games and I was like, "Wow, I sure wish they would make a DBZ game." Oh how the times have changed lol.
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:05 pm

After Kai hits DVD, BD, and TV maybe sales will pick up.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Kendamu wrote:After Kai hits DVD, BD, and TV maybe sales will pick up.
Only if it becomes a big hit, which I think it will.

I mean, look at the success of Dragon Ball Z.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Kendamu wrote:After Kai hits DVD, BD, and TV maybe sales will pick up.
Only if it becomes a big hit, which I think it will.

I mean, look at the success of Dragon Ball Z.
I don't know if it will be such a big hit like Z was. Reason being because Kai will be on extended cable and not basic cable. Less people will have access to the show. I guess the best way to judge this is to look at the views of Shippuden on DisneyXD vs Naruto on CN.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:16 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
I don't know if it will be such a big hit like Z was. Reason being because Kai will be on extended cable and not basic cable. Less people will have access to the show. I guess the best way to judge this is to look at the views of Shippuden on DisneyXD vs Naruto on CN.
You have a point there. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Fun thing here, the only upcomming release is the domestic release of Origins 2, and that's a DragonBall game. Which have historically always done bad, even when the series was airing on TV here.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Fun thing here, the only upcomming release is the domestic release of Origins 2, and that's a DragonBall game. Which have historically always done bad, even when the series was airing on TV here.
Yeah, Origins 2 is definately going to bomb. I guess more people are in to the fighting of Z than the adventure of Dragon Ball.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:12 am

Mediacreate released their Top 500 selling video game titles of 2009:

62 [NDS] Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (Bandai Namco Games) 196,858
116 [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Bandai Namco Games) 103,093
296 [PS2] Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World (Bandai Namco Games) 35,874 / 172,315
309 [WII] Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo (Bandai Namco Games) 33,869
344 [NDS] Dragon Ball: Origins (Bandai Namco Games) 29,967 / 213,493

The cutoff for the Top 500 was 16,000 odd units. This means [PSP]DragonBall Evolution and [360] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast sold less than that (unless my searching skills failed me, and they did chart). They should appear on the Top 1000 chart that will be released soon.

Edit- Should mention, these are sales numbers for Japan.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun May 02, 2010 6:02 pm

Frankly I can see why they bombed. DBZ games have been the same thing over and over and I think people's interest have just died because of that. And yes I'm aware Dragonball Origins 2 and Attack of the Saiyans aren't the same old shit, but who really cares enough to research that is the question.

I'm personally tired of DBZ games and from now on I'll only be spending my money on really stellar games like Monster Hunter 3 and Galaxy 2. DBZ games just have too much of a "been there, done that" feeling. Oh and I've never seen an advertisement for any DBZ game for the record since Legacy of Goku 2.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 am

I haven't seen any DBZ adverts since Evolution, and nothing before that since Tenkaichi
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue May 04, 2010 3:53 am

Silver Sinspawn wrote:I haven't seen any DBZ adverts since Evolution, and nothing before that since Tenkaichi
I think that's because DB games have been advertised way less since Atari stopped lincensing them. Which may explain the poor sales for recent DB games.

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm

I have never seen a Dragon Ball Z game commercial on TV in the UK ever. The only Dragonball related advertisment on TV I have seen here is Evolution and back when Toonami was still running.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Tue May 04, 2010 2:58 pm

I saw a Dragonball Raging Blast advert on Channel 4, I was so suprised. I was eating my food and then I heard Goku's voice, I looked up and got excited but it was only for Raging Blast.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu May 06, 2010 8:22 am

Top 1000 was released:

728 [360] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Bandai Namco Games) 9,745
893 [PS3] Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit (Bandai Namco Games) 6,942 / 152,582

[PSP] DragonBall: Evolution did not chart in Mediacreate's Top 1000, meaning it sold less than the 1000th game, which sold 5,508 units.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu May 06, 2010 11:47 pm

wait, Bust Limit(PS3) only pushed roughly 7,000 units in Japan? I thought it did way better than that. Wow, that is truly depressing.

Also what is the "152,582" is that worldwide sales for the PS3 or total Japanese sales between the 360 and PS3?
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri May 07, 2010 6:22 am

Namco Bandai released their fiscal year report:

Bandai Namco Top 10 FY2010
Title Name - Platform - Region - Unit Sales

Tekken 6 PS3,360 E,J,A 1,840,000
Ben 10 Alien Force Multi US,E 1,080,000
Ben 10 Alien Force 2 Multi US,E 810,000
Dragon Ball Raging Blast PS3,360 WW 700,000
God Eater PSP J 610,000
Ben 10 Protector of the Earth Multi US,E 610,000
Active Life Extreme Challenge Wii WW 600,000
Tales of Vesperia PS3,360 WW 500,000
Tekken 6 PSP WW 470,000
Gundam vs. Gundam Next Plus PSP J,A 430,000
Note: These are shipment numbers.

J - Japan
US - North America
A - Asia
E - Europe
WW - Worldwide

I'm surprised they got retailers to buy 700,000 copies of Raging Blast worldwide.

Overall unit sales split by platform:
Platform - New Titles - Unit Sales

PSP 22 5,483,000
Wii 12 5,211,000
NDS 35 4,218,000
PS3 7 3,230,000
PS2 5 2,363,000
360 4 2,182,000
Others 1 50,000
Total 86 22,737,000

Toy Sales:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:wait, Bust Limit(PS3) only pushed roughly 7,000 units in Japan? I thought it did way better than that. Wow, that is truly depressing.

Also what is the "152,582" is that worldwide sales for the PS3 or total Japanese sales between the 360 and PS3?
Those 7000 sales are what it did in 2009. Burst Limit was released in 2008. The second number on all the games I posted are the life-time-to-date sales in Japan. The first is unit sales in 2009 in Japan.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 07, 2010 10:25 am

Where are you seeing this year's report? I'm not seeing it on their website, and I'm not pulling up the PDF by replacing last year's version/URL with any date range around right now...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Fri May 07, 2010 12:37 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Where are you seeing this year's report? I'm not seeing it on their website, and I'm not pulling up the PDF by replacing last year's version/URL with any date range around right now...
It's right here: http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/E8A3 ... GLISH).pdf
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."