Dragon Ball Game Sales [Those phone games ... yikes]

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball games don't sell anymore

Post by DBZ Mick » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:44 pm

Heard Sagas tried to be like a console LOG, but failed very badly. Never came out here in Australia, so I never played it.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Toriko's anime ratings are lower than Kai, yet:

03./00. [PSP] Toriko: Gourmet Survival | ACT | (Bandai Namco) {2011.08.04} | ¥5.229 | - 62.882 / NEW

Huh. :roll:
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Can you please post a source for this information. As well as context. How does it fare against the recent Dragon Ball games? These numbers don't mean much on their own.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:Can you please post a source for this information. As well as context. How does it fare against the recent Dragon Ball games? These numbers don't mean much on their own.
Sorry, my information is almost always MediaCreate unless noted otherwise. I usually source my numbers from Chris1964's MediaCreate posts on NeoGAF. His posts are a translation of Japanese gaming site 4Gamer's release of the Media Create numbers.

For comparison here are the debut weeks for some recent Dragon Ball video games:

04. / 00. [NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butouden (Bandai Namco) {2011.02.03} - 31.108 / NEW
02. / 00. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (Bandai Namco) {2010.11.11} - 47.610 / NEW
10. / 00. [PSP] Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team (Bandai Namco) {2010.09.30} - 19.080 / NEW

(These numbers have been referenced in the past, which is why I didn't do commentary initially)

Those numbers for Toriko's very first video game are pretty good, and the fact that a series debut on PSP outdid a PS3 game with a remade special shows why Kai got dropped. Dragon Ball video games on a whole have been on decline. At first I simply thought it was fighting game fatigue, but we also got a really weak debut for Dragon Ball Origins. I would definitely like to see the performance of a sequel to Burst Limit, or Attack of the Saiyans (the two highest selling games of late) but those are hypotheticals that do not yet exist. However, the overall trend is that the Japanese public is tired of seeing games with Goku on the cover.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:37 pm

I think it's pretty safe to say that the US is too. Namco Bandai really milked this franchise for all it's worth and the public is done. The only shot Dragonball has with a comeback is if the series goes on hiatus for a long time and then comes back a few years later with one perfect game.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:32 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I think it's pretty safe to say that the US is too. Namco Bandai really milked this franchise for all it's worth and the public is done. The only shot Dragonball has with a comeback is if the series goes on hiatus for a long time and then comes back a few years later with one perfect game.
Subject to mass interpretation.

dragonballzgtfighter
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballzgtfighter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:I think it's pretty safe to say that the US is too. Namco Bandai really milked this franchise for all it's worth and the public is done. The only shot Dragonball has with a comeback is if the series goes on hiatus for a long time and then comes back a few years later with one perfect game.
Agreed.

During the hiatus they can actually make the game. An example would be. Instead of releasing a game once a year for five years. Do release one game that takes fives years to make.
http://dragonballzgt.smfforfree3.com/index.php Join us! And take a step in making the fan's Dragonball Z game!

Our Trailer http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxuKNAJxOM

Characters that must appear in the ultimate DBZGT game http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=dragonballzgtfighter

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:03 am

dragonballzgtfighter wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:
Agreed.

During the hiatus they can actually make the game. An example would be. Instead of releasing a game once a year for five years. Do release one game that takes fives years to make.
I agree let the base grow between games let them love it and pick apart while listening to what they say.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:listening to what they say.
Don't do this. Fans are the stupidest sacks of shit on Earth, and any project that tries to listen to them will get pulled in so many different directions it will get ripped apart and never made.

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:listening to what they say.
Don't do this. Fans are the stupidest sacks of shit on Earth, and any project that tries to listen to them will get pulled in so many different directions it will get ripped apart and never made.
Because they're doing such a good job making games on their own.
­

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Taku128 wrote:Because they're doing such a good job making games on their own.
They're doing better than if they listened to the fans, and you know it.

ManyFaces
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ManyFaces » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm about to buy a Xbox 360 again...

I say this because I decided to browse through the games that have been released in recent years via the 360, and I gotta say I'm not the least bit interested in any of them. I'm so sick and tired of the VS. games -- what do they have to offer that hasn't already been done a hundred times?

I really wish Bandai would release a RPG DBZ game. I really loved playing Legacy of Goku 1 & 2, and regret never getting Buu's Fury. (Sold my GB Advance before it came out.)

If you ask me, I think the casual fans feel the same way as I do.

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:18 pm

Why do people still say: "the games don't sell well because they suck"? Talk about passing opinions off as facts.

ManyFaces
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ManyFaces » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Why do people still: "reply to something yet offer nothing in discussion"?

I'm definitely not trying to pass off anything as fact. I said I think casual fans support me because the low sales seem to suggest so.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 pm

ManyFaces wrote:I really wish Bandai would release a RPG DBZ game. I really loved playing Legacy of Goku 1 & 2, and regret never getting Buu's Fury. (Sold my GB Advance before it came out.)
Ever heard of Attack of the Saiyans? Also I don't know if I'd consider the Legacy games RPGs, even with the very loose definition for RPG video games.

As for the recent quality in games being fairly bad, I'd definitely say that's a factor as to why they don't do so well. But, I think the over saturation of the market was the biggest hit to sales.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

mysticboy

Post by mysticboy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:41 pm

ManyFaces wrote:Why do people still: "reply to something yet offer nothing in discussion"?

I'm definitely not trying to pass off anything as fact. I said I think casual fans support me because the low sales seem to suggest so.
Ok, was I talking to or about you?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:19 am

Rocketman wrote:
Taku128 wrote:Because they're doing such a good job making games on their own.
They're doing better than if they listened to the fans, and you know it.
Agreed, if they had listened to the fans every time, then we would see SSJ57 Kuririn, Oozaru Satan, Freeza, Cell, Bulma, Babidi, Janemba, Broly, Budokai Announcer fusion... Still they make some AF things (e.x. SSJ3 Broly), but at least thei are (kinda) logical.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:38 am

mysticboy wrote:Why do people still say: "the games don't sell well because they suck"? Talk about passing opinions off as facts.
The recent games have got mixed and negative reviews. Both RB games got some pretty bad reviews which is why people skip out on them. Since people really enjoy the Sparking/BT series then the new game could sell better with the Ultimate Tenkachi slap on to it depending how good the marketing is. RB2 had pretty much no marketing other then a few online adds that I saw like a week after the game was released.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
mysticboy wrote:Why do people still say: "the games don't sell well because they suck"? Talk about passing opinions off as facts.
The recent games have got mixed and negative reviews. Both RB games got some pretty bad reviews which is why people skip out on them. Since people really enjoy the Sparking/BT series then the new game could sell better with the Ultimate Tenkachi slap on to it depending how good the marketing is. RB2 had pretty much no marketing other then a few online adds that I saw like a week after the game was released.
Yeah wasn't BT3 like the last game fighting game to get a commercial on American tv? I haven't seen any at least. I still remember the Budokai 3 commercial. Oh the days.

I think they should go the Soul Caliber route in terms of release schedule.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:16 pm

I think we need a Dragonball dating sim to add variety to the games. :roll:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Agreed, if they had listened to the fans every time, then we would see SSJ57 Kuririn, Oozaru Satan, Freeza, Cell, Bulma, Babidi, Janemba, Broly, Budokai Announcer fusion... Still they make some AF things (e.x. SSJ3 Broly), but at least thei are (kinda) logical.
I almost wanna see fanart of Oozaru Satan. :shock: