Dragon Ball Game Sales [Those phone games ... yikes]

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball games don't sell anymore

Post by Raki » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:54 pm

These new games really don't offer anything we haven't played before.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Rocketman wrote:
NitroEX wrote:providing a game that does the anime justice.
Press A to hold staring contest.
Jokes aside, I think the games do a bad job at capturing the action of the anime. It seems like the there's no attention to detail. Characters feel weightless and don't feel powerful at all. Where's my crater when I power up? Why isn't the map breaking up and debris floating in the air during a beam struggle? Why are there no earthquake's during fights like in the anime? I could go on and on. When Cell fought Goku they created a huge explosion just from their key blasts colliding. Why can't I do this stuff in a game?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:42 am

Because the CPU would burst into flame at trying to render all that.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:17 am

Or because the main aim of the devs is to include as many character's as possible, leaving not as much time to develop the actual experience in to something more amazing. That's basically it.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:13 pm

It's very weird to see such a fumbling of the franchise in this arena. We saw Bandai Namco get decent results from Burst Limit, and then decide to follow that up with 3 annual titles from Spike, that all sold less than the one previously. It's clear people don't want Spike's games anymore in Japan.

Then there's Saiyan Invasion, which sold very well, but here we are 2 years later, and there is no hint of a sequel. There's also Origins, which the initial release sold incredibly well, but the sequel for some reason bombed. I don't know why this is happening other than apathy towards Dragon Ball in general.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Super Saiyajin Luffy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Saiyajin Luffy » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's very weird to see such a fumbling of the franchise in this arena. We saw Bandai Namco get decent results from Burst Limit, and then decide to follow that up with 3 annual titles from Spike, that all sold less than the one previously. It's clear people don't want Spike's games anymore in Japan.

Then there's Saiyan Invasion, which sold very well, but here we are 2 years later, and there is no hint of a sequel. There's also Origins, which the initial release sold incredibly well, but the sequel for some reason bombed. I don't know why this is happening other than apathy towards Dragon Ball in general.
I think, that they are focusing on the western market. From a marketing point: World >>> Japan
DragonBall Xenoverse Fighting Mechanics breakdown
The DragonBall Xenoverse pre-release Q&A and general information post
Rukura about Sparking Omega wrote:I'm imagining people from Namco Bandai looking at these big sites talking about the announcement and them going "Wait....what?! Did we do that? Are we doing that? *turns to Spike* Are you people doing that?"
DB Xenoverse is not a DBZ simulator with fighting elements, it's a semi competent fighting/action game with DBZ simulation elements.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm

DonieZ wrote:Or because the main aim of the devs is to include as many character's as possible, leaving not as much time to develop the actual experience in to something more amazing. That's basically it.
Unlikely, since BT3 had more characters than any of the PS3 games.

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Rocketman wrote:
DonieZ wrote:Or because the main aim of the devs is to include as many character's as possible, leaving not as much time to develop the actual experience in to something more amazing. That's basically it.
Unlikely, since BT3 had more characters than any of the PS3 games.

Yeah, and it's completely possible to copy and paste from PS2 to next gen isn't it...

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:38 pm

DonieZ wrote:Yeah, and it's completely possible to copy and paste from PS2 to next gen isn't it...
I'm pretty sure that's not what Rocketman was getting at. It's kinda hard to buy that Spike wanted to have as many characters since nothing has even come close to the numbers in the last generation of games.

From a technical stand point, there's no real reason to have such a piss poor roster.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:56 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
DonieZ wrote:Yeah, and it's completely possible to copy and paste from PS2 to next gen isn't it...
I'm pretty sure that's not what Rocketman was getting at. It's kinda hard to buy that Spike wanted to have as many characters since nothing has even come close to the numbers in the last generation of games.

From a technical stand point, there's no real reason to have such a piss poor roster.

Oh boy...

Please educate me on how RB had a "piss poor roster".

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:01 pm

DonieZ wrote:Oh boy...

Less characters than previous incarnations.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Please knock off the attitude, DonieZ -- you've had two posts in a row that are nothing but sarcastic quips. This has otherwise been a very helpful and concise thread for community members to keep up with the sales comparisons of these games.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:07 pm

AgitoZ wrote:

Like I implied, it's not possible unfortunately to copy and paste from previous gen consoles, meaning the only way to climb back up to the number of character's previous games had would be to start again, and in a single year there is only so much you can do without having direct implications on other aspects of the game. RB had about 40 character's I believe, that was more than enough if you ask me. You don't get many games that have that many character's in their first istallment (it's a reboot), and it's evident the roster is too much as the quality of the gameplay suffered. Who said number of character's were everything anyway?

Hmm, seems we're straying from topic.. Then again we could link a number of things as to why these games don't sell.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:00 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
NitroEX wrote:providing a game that does the anime justice.
Press A to hold staring contest.
Jokes aside, I think the games do a bad job at capturing the action of the anime. It seems like the there's no attention to detail. Characters feel weightless and don't feel powerful at all. Where's my crater when I power up? Why isn't the map breaking up and debris floating in the air during a beam struggle? Why are there no earthquake's during fights like in the anime? I could go on and on. When Cell fought Goku they created a huge explosion just from their key blasts colliding. Why can't I do this stuff in a game?
I'd rather play a game where I can play as General Blue, and kill Bojack, than the same shit, just better graphics.
Graphics aren't important to game play and don't contribute f.a., I mean, look at Tetris. Best game ever.
Having millions of characters is at least contributing something to game play.
Does that make sense to anyone else?
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:12 am

DonieZ wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:

Like I implied, it's not possible unfortunately to copy and paste from previous gen consoles, meaning the only way to climb back up to the number of character's previous games had would be to start again, and in a single year there is only so much you can do without having direct implications on other aspects of the game. RB had about 40 character's I believe, that was more than enough if you ask me. You don't get many games that have that many character's in their first istallment (it's a reboot), and it's evident the roster is too much as the quality of the gameplay suffered. Who said number of character's were everything anyway?

Hmm, seems we're straying from topic.. Then again we could link a number of things as to why these games don't sell.
Hell, LOGII and BF only had 5 playable characters (or 7 if you include the fusions) and the LOG trilogy is probably my favourite series of DBZ games. But that's because they managed to fit the whole story in, quests, easter eggs and more.

I think like others have said most Dragonball games nowadays really don't offer anything we haven't played before.

Ultimate Tenkaichi at least tries to be innovative but the whole game looks so slowly paced, with cut-scenes that drag and gameplay that looks confusing. The boss battles look great though.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:40 am

Rocketman wrote:
NitroEX wrote: Jokes aside, I think the games do a bad job at capturing the action of the anime. It seems like the there's no attention to detail. Characters feel weightless and don't feel powerful at all. Where's my crater when I power up? Why isn't the map breaking up and debris floating in the air during a beam struggle? Why are there no earthquake's during fights like in the anime? I could go on and on. When Cell fought Goku they created a huge explosion just from their key blasts colliding. Why can't I do this stuff in a game?
I'd rather play a game where I can play as General Blue, and kill Bojack, than the same shit, just better graphics.
Graphics aren't important to game play and don't contribute f.a., I mean, look at Tetris. Best game ever.
Who said I was talking about graphics?

When did I say I didn't want more characters?

All I was talking about is adding little touches to the game to make it feel more like the anime and make the fights more epic. Oh and btw, Tetris, best game ever?... are you mad?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Super Saiyajin Luffy wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's very weird to see such a fumbling of the franchise in this arena. We saw Bandai Namco get decent results from Burst Limit, and then decide to follow that up with 3 annual titles from Spike, that all sold less than the one previously. It's clear people don't want Spike's games anymore in Japan.

I think, that they are focusing on the western market. From a marketing point: World >>> Japan
The problem is, they aren't really marketing their product over here. Also, I think the west is with Japan when it comes to not wanting Spike to make the games anymore. I'd like to see another team work on a new series for consoles(as apposed to handhelds) that way we can see if people are sick of Dragonball or if it's just Spike.

Also, on the note of World>>>Japan; Currently Japan is having a huge problem with their strong yen. I remember reading something on Kotaku where Nintendo is losing money with their US/European sales because of the exchange rate. Supposedly it's a big problem but I'm not too informed on the subject.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:37 pm

NitroEX wrote:
Rocketman wrote: I'd rather play a game where I can play as General Blue, and kill Bojack, than the same shit, just better graphics.

All I was talking about is adding little touches to the game to make it feel more like the anime and make the fights more epic. Oh and btw, Tetris, best game ever?... are you mad?
Silver Sinspawn made that post, not Rocketman.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Raging Blast's first week is a typo. It should be:

03./00. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Namco Bandai) - 57,972 / NEW

For Raging Blast 2 on PS3, that number are sales ending in 2010. This is the first week sales:

02. / 00. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (Bandai Namco) - 47.610 / NEW

Compared to that, UT actually isn't terrible, but this is all decline. There's been nothing positive with these current gen Spike games.
I see. Raging Blast selling that low in the first week did seem really weird.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:48 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
NitroEX wrote:
Rocketman wrote: I'd rather play a game where I can play as General Blue, and kill Bojack, than the same shit, just better graphics.

Silver Sinspawn made that post, not Rocketman.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Raging Blast's first week is a typo. It should be:

03./00. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast (Namco Bandai) - 57,972 / NEW

For Raging Blast 2 on PS3, that number are sales ending in 2010. This is the first week sales:

02. / 00. [PS3] Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2 (Bandai Namco) - 47.610 / NEW

Compared to that, UT actually isn't terrible, but this is all decline. There's been nothing positive with these current gen Spike games.
I see. Raging Blast selling that low in the first week did seem really weird.
People were probably comparing its roster to BT3 back in the day. I saw many on boards say "wait till RB3". Naruto fans did that once with a game and it messed them over the us fans at least.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:46 am

NitroEX wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
NitroEX wrote: Jokes aside, I think the games do a bad job at capturing the action of the anime. It seems like the there's no attention to detail. Characters feel weightless and don't feel powerful at all. Where's my crater when I power up? Why isn't the map breaking up and debris floating in the air during a beam struggle? Why are there no earthquake's during fights like in the anime? I could go on and on. When Cell fought Goku they created a huge explosion just from their key blasts colliding. Why can't I do this stuff in a game?

Hey man, Tetris never gets old.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!