Dragon Ball Game Sales [Those phone games ... yikes]

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Game Sales [Those phone games ... yikes]

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:04 am

Note: Game names will be of the English titles simply for ease.

So Namco Bandai released their quarterly report (third quarter), and here's there wasn't a single DragonBall game to be found, despite Namco Bandai now controlling the property worldwide, and the release of three new games. What topped the chart:

Ben 10: Alien Force (NA+EU) Multi - 870,000
Ben 10: Protector Of Earth (NA+EU) Multi - 540,000
Tales Of Vesperia (WW) PS3/360 - 490,000
Active Life: Extreme Challenge (WW) Wii - 460,000
Ben 10: Alien Force 2 (NA+EU) Multi - 430,000
Afro Samurai (NA+EU) PS3/360 - 420,000
Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next (JP) PSP - 410,000
Tekken 6 (JP) PS3/360 - 400,000
Taiko Drum Master 2 (JP) Wii - 380,000
SD Gundam G Generation Wars (JP) PS2/Wii - 370,00

Notice how DragonBall Raging Blast (WW) PS3/360, DragonBall: Revenge Of King Piccolo (NA+EU) Wii, and DragonBall Z: Attack Of The Sayians (NA+EU) DS failed to crack these sales numbers.

Europe never releases concrete numbers, so meh. I have a bit of information regarding the three title's first month performance in the US, but aren't that concrete either:
Sales Sub 20k
Raging Blast 360> Raging Blast PS3> Attack Of The Sayians> Revenge Of King Piccolo

I'd say 100k combined might be pushing it, although that's probably close to their current life time to date in the US. I'd rather not use VGChartz (because they're often times random guesses based on past performance), so I won't.

Japan on the otherhand, we [will soon] have numbers for the games via Famitsu's Top 100, and Top 500 selling titles of 2009. DragonBall: Raging Blast, Revenge Of King Piccolo, and Evolution (missing from the US part because I have no clue about what it did, and not included in the release frame for the quarterly report) failed to crack the Top 100. I will update this thread when the Top 500 appears, these titles should appear on that. Unless Revenge Of King Piccolo, and Evolution bombed spectacularily. Which, seeing the initial MediaCreate numbers, could happen. That said, DragonBall Z: Saiyan Invasion cracked the Top 100:

DragonBall Z: Saiyan Invasion (DS) - #62 - 192,200

The Japanese numbers for Saiyan Invasion, and Revenge Of King Piccolo are not included in the worldwide third quarter report as their release was before that period.
Last edited by Super Sayian Prime on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Re: Boy did the recent games bomb (Sales Thread)

Post by SSJmole » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:31 am

In Europe (or at least uk) The games were not advertised, Some shops didn't even carry them. That might explain low numbers.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:39 am

Yeah, we get zero DBZ advertisements here in the UK.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:11 pm

I really dislike Ben 10. Ever since it first started, that series has just rubbed me the wrong way.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:18 pm

Question is, what are the numbers compared to when Atari had Dragonball?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:yeah we get zero DBZ advetisement here in the UK.
I was watching TV and I did see a Raging Blast advert with Goku speaking. That and Dragonball Evolution are the only things I've seen advertised in the UK for a while.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:22 pm

Kendamu wrote:Question is, what are the numbers compared to when Atari had Dragonball?
That's a good question. I think the only game that did notably well(as far as I know of) was Budokai 3. I think low sales have to do with the fact that many casual fans are sick of a new game year after year. Every time I went to check out news for Raging Blast(or hell if any gaming site did any stories for them) all the comments were "not another DBZ game, I'm so sick of them."
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:41 pm

I think they bombed because video games based on animes don't tend to sell that well, due to low popularity. Or something like that, anyway.

Oh, and the fact that everyone knew that Raging Blast was gonna be shit from the start and typical DBZ fans don't give two shits about pre-Z Dragon Ball.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:I think they bombed because video games based on animes don't tend to sell that well, due to low popularity. Or something like that, anyway.

Oh, and the fact that everyone knew that Raging Blast was gonna be shit from the start and typical DBZ fans don't give two shits about pre-Z Dragon Ball.

There are three anime based games on there and three games based on Ben 10, I don't think anime games not being popular had anything to do with it. The second two might be better theories but what about Attack of the Sayians? Game wasn't bad, it didn't have a bad reputation and it took place during the Z time line.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:52 pm

These numbers are way down from when Atari had the license. The DS game probably performed the same in the West as previous entries. But Burst Limit performed much better then what Raging Blast is doing. Raging Blast is actually on a slower pace then Infinite World was.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Looks like we're getting a Burst Limit 2 before we ever see a Raging Blast 2. Really, I'd like to see one last "redemption" game from Namco Bandi and then a small DBZ video game break.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:06 am

I'd like for them to actually just wait 2/3 years before they release another game. That way they can build up interest and take more time to work on it.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:31 am

Big Momma wrote:I'd like for them to actually just wait 2/3 years before they release another game. That way they can build up interest and take more time to work on it.
I wouldn't mind this at all. I'd like them to take a time out and put more work into a product so it comes out higher quality. They don't need to rush out a new console game every year in time for the holiday season.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:52 pm

I think the games bombed since no one cares for DBZ games now since I think people are just sick of them now.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:These numbers are way down from when Atari had the license. The DS game probably performed the same in the West as previous entries. But Burst Limit performed much better then what Raging Blast is doing. Raging Blast is actually on a slower pace then Infinite World was.
Hopefully this means more Budoukai style games and less Sparking style games.
(they/she)

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Unfortunately if they did take the time to release a really polished product, I have a feeling it wouldn't sell much better. DBZ games have already suffered from overkill as it is and it's too little too late to be using "actually good" as a selling point.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Seems they were selling well when they first came out because it was a new thing. Then, they were still selling well when the Orange Bricks were coming out. I'm guessing that not too many people are collecting the Dragonbox because they already have the Orange Bricks. Maybe DBZ excitement is dying down due to there no big exciting releases amongst the majority of fans.

If I'm right, maybe Kai will change that!
(they/she)

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:30 am

Kendamu wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:These numbers are way down from when Atari had the license. The DS game probably performed the same in the West as previous entries. But Burst Limit performed much better then what Raging Blast is doing. Raging Blast is actually on a slower pace then Infinite World was.
Hopefully this means more Budoukai style games and less Sparking style games.
I might be to hopeful, but I'm hoping for an interly new game style...

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Kendamu wrote:Seems they were selling well when they first came out because it was a new thing. Then, they were still selling well when the Orange Bricks were coming out. I'm guessing that not too many people are collecting the Dragonbox because they already have the Orange Bricks. Maybe DBZ excitement is dying down due to there no big exciting releases amongst the majority of fans.

If I'm right, maybe Kai will change that!
Kai didn't save the games in Japan.

Although the only Kai branded game did the best of all of them.