Taking a suspicious amount of time for Burst Limit 2, huh?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rory
I Live Here

Taking a suspicious amount of time for Burst Limit 2, huh?

Post by Rory » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:16 am

There's a few reasons why we've yet to hear from Burst Limit 2, what with Dimps working on Sonic 4 and Super Street Fighter 4 (hey, 2 4s!).
But at the same time, it's been a weird amount of time since the last game (especially considering the usual annual gaps between these games). Burst Limit sold relatively well, so I can't imagine they don't think a sequel wouldn't be profitable, unless they're comparing it to other recent sales..
What do you think he reason for this odd delay is? Too busy? Possible lack of profit? Do you think we'll even see a sequel to Burst Limit? Discuss!
Last edited by Rory on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Taking a suspicious amount of time for Burst Limit 2, huh?

Post by Chuquita » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:39 am

I'd like a sequel to Burst Limit, but I'm really unsure if we'll get it.

Did Burst Limit or Raging Blast do better sales-wise I wonder...
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:11 pm

There were many, many complaints from fighting game enthusiasts who didn't like the ki system, and felt that it contributed to a lot of people online spamming the hell out of attacks, instead of using any real skill.
I, on the other hand, always supported BL's fighting mechanic and ki system. It was just as Donny Clay said, "You fight without having to charge your character's energy," which I thought was freakin' awesome. After a while, charging your ki in the middle of a fight in the Budokai entries interupted the flow of battle to a small degree.
Of course, the enthusiasts didn't care about that aspect, and felt that BL was stupid for taking out the charging up.
Did this contribute in not hearing about a sequel for so long? I think it's a possibility, because other than that, it sold well and people played the hell out of it online, including myself.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:38 pm

BL was fun, but I think we should put DBZ games on hold for a while. If another one was made then it will likely sell low again seeing it seems like people are tired of buying them now seeing how most of them play the same. I don't think I will buy BL2 unless it gives me something new worth checking out.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Deep Thought
Beyond Newbie

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:45 pm

I think that Dimps is finally realizing that adding a couple new characters, making a different story mode and and very slightly changing the gameplay won't cut it anymore. I think it was working on Super Street Fight 4 that made them think this way.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50 pm

I think a lot of people were just disillusioned by the this gen's games having less content than the than the previous titles from the last gen.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:02 am

I'm all for a Burst Limit 2, just take out those Drama Pieces and add more characters and stages.

jamie_sweeney

Post by jamie_sweeney » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:43 am

I thought a BL2 was more or less guarantee after playing the first one, given that it only followed the same story arcs as Budokai 1, which I always seen as the developers method of leaving themselves the opportunity to build on a title by not packing so much content into it. That way, the next installment looks more progressive, and they have characters and story elements that they can throw in as "new" content later. Apparently this is not the case with 7th Gen DBZ games. Oh well.
Wish I'd come up with a better username now, ha!

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Its FAR more likely to get a RB 2 than a BL 2.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:10 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Its FAR more likely to get a RB 2 than a BL 2.
Could you explain your reason?

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Rory wrote:
LeprikanGT wrote:Its FAR more likely to get a RB 2 than a BL 2.
Could you explain your reason?
Well, there was that thread a little while back saying that Namco Bandai might have been hinting at a Raging Blast 2.

Here's the link if you're interested.
http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopi ... 11&t=12091

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:50 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:There were many, many complaints from fighting game enthusiasts who didn't like the ki system, and felt that it contributed to a lot of people online spamming the hell out of attacks, instead of using any real skill.
I, on the other hand, always supported BL's fighting mechanic and ki system. It was just as Donny Clay said, "You fight without having to charge your character's energy," which I thought was freakin' awesome. After a while, charging your ki in the middle of a fight in the Budokai entries interupted the flow of battle to a small degree.
Of course, the enthusiasts didn't care about that aspect, and felt that BL was stupid for taking out the charging up.
Did this contribute in not hearing about a sequel for so long? I think it's a possibility, because other than that, it sold well and people played the hell out of it online, including myself.
Actually, I'd think "revised ki system makes things more balanced!!!" would be a better selling point for a potential sequel than "stuff that should've been in the last game that you can play in all the last generation games anyway!!!"
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 pm

I'd love to see Dimps develop another Dragon Ball game. Just not necessarily a fighting game, but with the recent experience they've had with the Street Fighter games, it could be a good thing.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 am

Chuquita wrote: Did Burst Limit or Raging Blast do better sales-wise I wonder...
Burst Limit by more than a mile.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:22 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I'm all for a Burst Limit 2, just take out those Drama Pieces and add more characters and stages.
I guess at least one good thing about the Drama Pieces was that it truly differentiated from the previous games, and was a key point for getting people to buy the game, because it was completely new, and not just a minor revision on an existing gameplay mechanic. Not saying that the Drama Pieces may've been anything good (I wouldn't know, I've only ever played a demo of the game once), but the fact that it was brand new and different was certainly worthy of a thumps-up to the Dimps staff and good for the DB video game market.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:32 pm

It's been too long in my opinion and we won't be seeing a BL 2. Maybe it's for the best, as the Budokai series for PS2 were continued rather poorly. Or at least that was the feeling I got with Budokai 2. That's another topic though.

We never got to see any Dragon Ball games on serious consoles, everything was concentrated on Z mainly and good, old DB was left for the Gameboy systems mainly (not that that was all bad at all). I think they should pull out a whole new DB game for next-gens that would cover the three anime series in a more adventure-esque manner, rather than simply emphasizing on the fighting itself.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:13 am

Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:I'm all for a Burst Limit 2, just take out those Drama Pieces and add more characters and stages.
I guess at least one good thing about the Drama Pieces was that it truly differentiated from the previous games, and was a key point for getting people to buy the game, because it was completely new, and not just a minor revision on an existing gameplay mechanic. Not saying that the Drama Pieces may've been anything good (I wouldn't know, I've only ever played a demo of the game once), but the fact that it was brand new and different was certainly worthy of a thumps-up to the Dimps staff and good for the DB video game market.
Yes, the Drama Pieces were different and something new for a DBZ game, but I thought they were annoying and got in the way of the battle.

Kinda like the day/night sequence in Castlevania 2.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:00 pm

Deep Thought wrote:I think that Dimps is finally realizing that adding a couple new characters, making a different story mode and and very slightly changing the gameplay won't cut it anymore. I think it was working on Super Street Fight 4 that made them think this way.
Hey, hopefully that just means a spiritual successor to Super DBZ is on the way.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:53 pm

As much as I love Burst Limit, I'd love to see a Super Dragon Ball Z much more.

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 pm

Rory wrote:As much as I love Burst Limit, I'd love to see a Super Dragon Ball Z much more.
I would have to second that. Super Dragon Ball Z was incredibly underrated.
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.