Your ideal DragonBall game...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kiyza
Regular

Re: Your ideal DragonBall game...

Post by Kiyza » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Blue wrote:10 or 30 more games like Attack of the Saiyans.
Though I think it might get a tad boring after 10-30 more games, I do agree something in the style of Attack of the Saiyans would make me very pleased.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanos6 wrote:I'd love to have a side-scrolling beat-em-up.

Goku as well-balanced character, Piccolo as speed, Vegeta as strength. Demi-Saiyans and humans as summonable assist characters a la "Maximum Carnage."
You know, I think I like this idea enough that if someone gives me sprite-sheets and helps me beta-test, I might make it happen. :D
Huh. I just realized, though... is there actually a point in the series where Goku, Piccolo and Vegeta are active at the same time?
*Gets unreasonably excited, considering how much else has to do presently* XD
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:49 pm

I'd love a game dedicated entirely to the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai. Only a dozen (give or take) playable characters, each with distinct movesets (This would be a fighting game, natch, possibly Darkstalkers-esque). This is just my favorite arc in the whole series, I'd love a real comprehensive game dedicated to it. For playable characters I'd like to see the 8 finalists (of course), plus Chaozu, Yajirobe, and King Chapa, and maybe a couple others just to flesh it out like Muten Roshi. Each character should have 2 or 3 extra outfits and signature moves relevent to the period. The only thing I would "change" would be slightly powering up or down certain characters to make them all "even". The only problem with this game wouild probably be that it would be too small; if only the GBA was still around it would be perfect for it. I guess they could still do it on the DS (though I'd have no clue what would be on the second screen), and use the extra power or whatever for really good graphics and unique character handling than a shit load of characters and stages.

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:06 pm

TenshinFan wrote:I'd love a game dedicated entirely to the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai. Only a dozen (give or take) playable characters, each with distinct movesets (This would be a fighting game, natch, possibly Darkstalkers-esque). This is just my favorite arc in the whole series, I'd love a real comprehensive game dedicated to it. For playable characters I'd like to see the 8 finalists (of course), plus Chaozu, Yajirobe, and King Chapa, and maybe a couple others just to flesh it out like Muten Roshi. Each character should have 2 or 3 extra outfits and signature moves relevent to the period. The only thing I would "change" would be slightly powering up or down certain characters to make them all "even". The only problem with this game wouild probably be that it would be too small; if only the GBA was still around it would be perfect for it. I guess they could still do it on the DS (though I'd have no clue what would be on the second screen), and use the extra power or whatever for really good graphics and unique character handling than a shit load of characters and stages.
I've always wanted a game dedicated to the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai too. It's pretty much been ignored in virtually every recent game. I was really surprised when Attack of the Saiyans covered that arc, but I'd probably have been happier if Revenge of King Piccolo covered it. Maybe if those adventure style Dragon Ball games reach that arc, we'll get to see something like that, but it wouldn't be a fighting game. I'd be pretty satisfied if that arc was covered in a sequel to the fighting games we have, but something tells me we wouldn't get to see too much of it.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Kiyza wrote: I'd be pretty satisfied if that arc was covered in a sequel to the fighting games we have, but something tells me we wouldn't get to see too much of it.
Yeah, that's why I think the arc should have it's own game (maybe Wii-ware?) Kind of going in the opposite direction of BT3, which was all about "more is better", this would be taking a relatively small part of the series, just over 2 volumes, and getting as much out of it as possible. Making it really in-depth, and also quite accurate. Sure it would be small, but I'd imagine it would be a very good game and have months or even years of replay value. Man... just imagining it makes me REALLY want it :lol:

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:58 pm

I always thought the Super DBZ system might have worked better with 23rd TB era characters myself, especially with how it has few characters but focuses on making them highly customizable. But if 8 characters just wouldn't be enough to support a game, how about a Super DBZ game that focuses on the entire pre-Z era? Has there ever been a full-fledged fighting game not based on Z? I know games like Advance Adventure or the DB Wii game have fighting game-style mini games, and some of the Z fighting games have pre-Z characters as a bonus, but I don't think there's ever been a whole game like that.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:16 pm

[quote="Herms"]But if 8 characters just wouldn't be enough to support a game, how about a Super DBZ game that focuses on the entire pre-Z era? quote]

Well, if 8 characters aren't enough, extend it to 12 with Chaozu, Yajirobe, Chapa, and Roshi!

That said, I'd still love a pre-Z fighting game. I think there are enough characters pre-Z to make a pretty big roster, maybe not BT3 levels but larger than one might expect. Heck, the only characters I can think of from DB that -wouldn't- work would be the Invisible Man and the Turtle!

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:24 pm

TenshinFan wrote:
Herms wrote:But if 8 characters just wouldn't be enough to support a game, how about a Super DBZ game that focuses on the entire pre-Z era?

Well, if 8 characters aren't enough, extend it to 12 with Chaozu, Yajirobe, Chapa, and Roshi!

That said, I'd still love a pre-Z fighting game. I think there are enough characters pre-Z to make a pretty big roster, maybe not BT3 levels but larger than one might expect. Heck, the only characters I can think of from DB that -wouldn't- work would be the Invisible Man and the Turtle!
I think you're missing a "[" on that quote.

I wholeheartedly agree with the notion of a pre-Z fighting game. You could have characters you might not even suspect to be in a fighting game, like Lunch for instance. For a character roster, I'd be more than satisfied with 15 or so characters. Unfourtunately, it probably won't happen, but I know if it ever did, it would rekindle my interest in Dragon Ball based fighting games.
Last edited by Kiyza on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Totally agreeing on the Pre-Z fighting game idea. XD
If we stick to the 23rd tournament, Gohan and Garlic Jr could be hidden characters hinting Z-ward?

I'm considering posting sections from my notes for a full-series Sagas reversioning. Still some things in the Saiyan bit that bug me, but the pre-Z stuff I guess I could share. . .
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:13 pm

caejones wrote:Totally agreeing on the Pre-Z fighting game idea. XD
If we stick to the 23rd tournament, Gohan and Garlic Jr could be hidden characters hinting Z-ward?
I'm all for Kid Gohan being a hidden character, but not Garlic Jr. Now Raditz, he would make a bitchin unlockable character!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Bah, screw Raditz I say. Garlic Jr. would fit in to a pre-Z game much better, since his backstory and movie had a pretty strong pre-Z vibe. Not that I think we'd really need either in a pre-Z game. If we're going for secret unlockables, how about Arale, or Toriyama-bot, or the Tenkaichi Budoukai announcer?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:50 pm

caejones wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:I'd love to have a side-scrolling beat-em-up.

Goku as well-balanced character, Piccolo as speed, Vegeta as strength. Demi-Saiyans and humans as summonable assist characters a la "Maximum Carnage."
You know, I think I like this idea enough that if someone gives me sprite-sheets and helps me beta-test, I might make it happen. :D
Huh. I just realized, though... is there actually a point in the series where Goku, Piccolo and Vegeta are active at the same time?
Who cares? :D

Make it like Budokai 2, where the storymode is "Dragonball Remix," e.g., Goten, Trunks, and Mirai all around during the Saiyan Saga.
Trunks & Goten forever

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:44 pm

caejones wrote:Huh. I just realized, though... is there actually a point in the series where Goku, Piccolo and Vegeta are active at the same time?
The three years between MechaFreeza and the Android Saga. And there's an added bonus that (excepting Super Saiyan), they're all close enough in strength that a game like that doesn't have to stretch too hard to have them fighting together.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:25 am

Herms wrote:Bah, screw Raditz I say. Garlic Jr. would fit in to a pre-Z game much better, since his backstory and movie had a pretty strong pre-Z vibe. Not that I think we'd really need either in a pre-Z game. If we're going for secret unlockables, how about Arale, or Toriyama-bot, or the Tenkaichi Budoukai announcer?
Aw.... I like raditz :(

Tori-bot would be just about the coolest hidden character in ANY franchise. Would make the game an instant must-buy. Arale would be okay but not for a 23rd TB game. Announcer is one of my all-time fave characters, but how would he fight? With the power of his voice? :lol:

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:40 am

Maybe he could be a mix-and-match character like Gogo from FF6; he's seen so many fighters over the years he can mimic moves. ;)
Trunks & Goten forever

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:07 am

Rocketman wrote:
caejones wrote:Huh. I just realized, though... is there actually a point in the series where Goku, Piccolo and Vegeta are active at the same time?
The three years between MechaFreeza and the Android Saga. And there's an added bonus that (excepting Super Saiyan), they're all close enough in strength that a game like that doesn't have to stretch too hard to have them fighting together.
Ah, that be briliant!
*Goes off to scheme*

Thanos6 wrote:Make it like Budokai 2, where the storymode is "Dragonball Remix," e.g., Goten, Trunks, and Mirai all around during the Saiyan Saga.
*Melts* XD XD XD

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanos6 wrote:Maybe he could be a mix-and-match character like Gogo from FF6; he's seen so many fighters over the years he can mimic moves. ;)
Eh... I dunno about that. I'm thinking he'll shout into the microphone and startle/paralyze/shock his opponents or something. And he's immune to the Taiyo-ken.

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:54 am

I Just want a Attack of the Saiyans style game. or alternatively, a super dragon ball z type game (with minor control alterations). I want to be able to customize the character. Maybe, like. in a store section, buy outfits (POSTBOY PICCOLO), and in the cases of characters like trunks, new weapons (I loved the laser sword). also, a few new characters if its AOTS styled. i loved fighting Tao Pai Pai - EX.

Hell, i want what if characters too. But not like. Super saiyan 1/2/3/4/ (though Bardock and turles deserve SSJ), i mean, something like... What if Piccolo and Tien fused. or something like that.
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:41 am

Attack of the Saiyans.... WITH CHICHI GODDAMMIT

Gregory the motherfucking cricket has a sprite and battle animations, but ChiChi doesn't?! Despite including a whole damn filler arc that was all Goku and ChiChi flying about! ARGH

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:46 am

I wanna some full series, from Dragon Ball until end of Z simmilar to Saiya-jin Raishu but on Wii.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88