Your ideal DragonBall game...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Your ideal DragonBall game...

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Whats your dream DB(all of DragonBall) game? Something that will put the pause in DB games for a couple years but will also keep you playing so much that you will be playing for months(or possibly years) on end..
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Your ideal DragonBall game...

Post by Rory » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:30 am

:) Super Dragon Ball Z 2.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:23 am

An RPG. Either a) Legend of Goku with blue dragon graphics. Or b) Marvel Ultimate Alliance style with Dragonball Z people. So 4 people on your team with extra forms been extra characters (but disable other versions) E.g you could have a team of SSJ Goku , SSJ Vegeta , Piccolo and Gohan if you liked.

ShonenKnife
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShonenKnife » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:52 am

Sitting in a game design class now, thought I'd have a swing. :)

Beat-em up. Street Fighter (Super DragonBall Z yay!) or Dead or Alive (fast-paced, reaction time is crucial) style with good combos and finishers that don't go into cutscene overkill zone like Budokai 3. Plus, a tag-team element? haven't seen this yet.

Cel-shade visuals. No excuse to not have them if it's a console game and not handheld.

Character transformations, but without steps. For example, either eliminate anything above Goku SSJ or use a selection scheme, where you can power up to your chosen form, much like SDBZ.

Destructible backgrounds. You just need them. End of. :lol:

No "OMG, over 100 characters!" B.S. A modest selection of heroes and villians, with varied attacks. Don't want a Kamehameha as the standard for more than 4-5 characters.

Customisation/Development. Maybe not too great. like B1,2,3,IW, but perhaps a levelling system for attacks, perhaps even the Kamehameha becoming 10x or SUPER Kamehameha at a certain level.

Online Play. Need it. No excuse.

Voice acting and cutscenes are an afterthought really, but a choice between Japanese and English voices during fights would be nice. Cutscenes could use manga-style presentation (pages and panels on screen with sound effects and onomatopoeaia) or even full animation (would need VA's)

Sorry, bit of a long-winded way of asking for a new game. :P
There's so much more I could/want to put in, but I'll spare you. Besides, I need to work on my OWN game treatment, haha!
What does the scouter say about his blood alcohol level?
Eddie wrote:SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Standing on exploding planets may put your health at risk. Pregnant women, or women who may become pregnant (possibly by a spiky haired alien with a penchant for murder & destruction) should get the f*** off of said planet. If you find yourself on an exploding planet, get your ass to the dancing purple man's ship and leave immediately.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:33 pm

Rory wrote::) Super Dragon Ball Z 2.
Exactly! Or maybe something similar made by Dimps where they draw from their experience on Super SFIV.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Exactly! Or maybe something similar made by Dimps where they draw from their experience on Super SFIV.
This is pretty much what I want most.

Another Dragon Ball game I'd like to see is a Super Robot Wars-style strategy game with many missions, alternate routes to take throughout the story and of course, a SRW-esque JAM Project song to go along with it(Kageyama being the lead singer just proves a game like this was meant to be).

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:11 am

If it doesn't suck like the first one, then I'm all for it.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:56 am

I'd actually love to see Dragon Ball Z Sagas done the correct way, it was heading towards the right direction and could have or should have blown the other games out of the water. The repetitiveness in animations killed it><
I'd love to see a PS3 version that covers Dragonball and Dragonball Z.

For now Dragonball Online is doing me justice.. if only it was playing through the story as a console game><
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:51 am

I've spent way too much time coming up with different DB game designs. -_-

In no particular order:
  • Something that takes what Sagas started with, but makes it far less ">.<", and covers the series from start to finish. I've got plenty of notes on how to deal with content (and am still not satisfied with certain parts; I want to focus on the story/character/world stuff, but keep finding excuses to have "play-as-villains" stages...), but how to change the gameplay is a bit more confusing; redundancy is something I'd like to get around without shortening things. (I.E: no fights where you use the kamehameha more than it was used in the entire series...).
  • A (2D?) fighter that focuses on the 23rd tournament through Freeza, with perhaps some hints at the Jinzouningen arc (but only hints, and as hidden things), that focuses on diversifying the cast. Something like this would require a great deal of creativity to pull off... my attempts at figuring out what to include haven't gone as far as I'd like.
  • A series of three "World Experience" games that focus on recreating the feel of the manga/anime. The first two would remain as focused as possible (one covering the start of DB through... eh, I dunno, but the point is that Goku would be the main protagonist, with Gohan as the second lead and the third covering more of the cast and such). I'm thinking something vaguely reminding of Kingdom Hearts, but at the same time rather unique. It's kinda insane to expect a game to be able to not-frustratingly emulate the speed and precision and complexity of some of the things in DB, but rather than turn it into Legends or Sparking-style melee, I'd rather something ... eh... in between, but not too complicated that people wouldn't want to play it. Haven't gotten far on that, either. :P
And ... so on, I guess. :-/
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Basically, I just want a really good DB fighting game that doesn't follow the same Budokai or Tenkaichi fighting engine we've been stuck with for the past couple of years. One that will keep me playing it even years after getting it--replayability is one of the most important factors of a game. Maybe one that at least tries to hold up with the standards of popular fighting game series such as Street Fighter and Tekken, franchises that are still going strong years after the release of the first games in the series, and keep on making new adjustments to actually make that game stand-out from the previous one.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:19 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Looks like you're trying to get under my skin.
(they/she)

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:45 am

Kendamu wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
No, I was just stating my opinion.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:38 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: If it doesn't suck like the first one, then I'm all for it.
No, I was just stating my opinion.
Like I said, it looks like you're trying to get under my skin whether you meant it that way or not.
(they/she)

PatPat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by PatPat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:54 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Could someone please explain to me why Super Dragonball Z sucks ? Because I absolutley love that game and still play it to this day.
Super Vegito wrote:
Fox666 wrote:Yeah, I am 21 and stay at my parents house playing videogame and arguing on the internet
I hope that's sarcasm.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:04 pm

PatPat wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Could someone please explain to me why Super Dragonball Z sucks ? Because I absolutley love that game and still play it to this day.
Most of the complaints I hear come from people who want more characters who play alike rather than less characters who play differently, people who want simpler controls because they didn't understand this being more like a serious fighting game, and people who want to stay transformed all the time so they can whoop on the Kui or whoever while playing as SSj4 Gogeta.

That may not be Daimaoh's problem and I don't speak for him at all, but that's what I normally hear out of people. They'd have rather had another Sparking instead of something resembling a hardcore fighting game like Street Fighter, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, or Soul Calibur.
(they/she)

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

I can live with less characters and not being transformed for an entire battle, it's just that the gameplay was a little slow for my tastes. But, hey, that's just me.
I get my DBZ fighting game fix with Inifinite World.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote:I can live with less characters and not being transformed for an entire battle, it's just that the gameplay was a little slow for my tastes. But, hey, that's just me.
I get my DBZ fighting game fix with Inifinite World.
The dash button fixed that for me. :D
(they/she)

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 am

I'd love to have a side-scrolling beat-em-up.

Goku as well-balanced character, Piccolo as speed, Vegeta as strength. Demi-Saiyans and humans as summonable assist characters a la "Maximum Carnage."
Trunks & Goten forever

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Oooh, the X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance idea sounds fun! I wouldn't like transformations to be separate characters though

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:48 pm

10 or 30 more games like Attack of the Saiyans. The only JRPG I love to death.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.