"Raging Blast 2" Gigantic On-Going Gaming Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brad Redfield
Regular

Re: Raging Blast 2 is Alive!

Post by Brad Redfield » Sun May 30, 2010 6:45 pm

Rory wrote:Here's the thing with Sparking! backgrounds, upping the textures on the mountains isn't going to help, 'cause hey! Newsflash!
They're fucking boring.
I agree. One thing that can make things more interesting is to have a more interactive environment.

For example:
  • When you power dash along the ground, you should leave a destroyed trail.
  • Have all the clouds blow away when your character charges their ki all the way.
  • How about a crater where your ki beam hits instead of a lame flash?
  • Grass and trees should react to you powering up when you're near them. I remember playing the demo for the first game and seeing the grass just replay the same animation cycle as my character powered up. It was pretty lame. It would be pretty cool if rocks and pebbles started to levitate around you when you hit the halfway point in powering up.
  • When you knock someone through a building or mountain, instead of having the pieces fall through the floor of the stage, how about having the pieces lay about? I'm sure they can use some sort of destruction engine for this like they did in Ghostbusters.
I'm sure the areas would be smaller because of all this but damn would it make the game more visual interesting. :lol:

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sun May 30, 2010 6:53 pm

I'm still waiting for my field filled with those emu things.

On that note, why aren't there ANY wildlife? Would be cool to have a forest stage with the Sabretooth and monkeys running around and birds flying around. Also why no big fish underwater?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sun May 30, 2010 7:00 pm

Animals always free away from fights in the anime.

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sun May 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Exactly, lets see some fleeing animals.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun May 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Vegeta Jr wrote:Exactly, lets see some fleeing animals.
Exactly! What about the fish, where are they going to flee to? There should be some sort of life underwater; it's like hey I'm underwater...except that if looks like I'm above water only blue. There are no fish, no underwater plant life, nothing.

As for wild life above ground, maybe a bird or two could fly around or like you said we can see animals run away. If developers don't want things interfering with the fight you could always have things going on in the background, just so there's something more to the world then wastelands. Also, I like the suggestion of seeing destroyed buildings remaining on the ground. Developers could pull a Bad Company 2 where depending on where you hit the object it could get damaged, or even fall to rubble.

I also wish Spike would use my suggestion for making levels without borders. They could make it so the levels loop:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:There is always a way to program around this situation. For example you could limit the knock back distance so that the opponent automatically catches himself before he hits the loop(to avoid said opponent ending up behind you). To avoid making the loop feel like a barrier you could set a censor so that if the characters were fighting close to the looping point the knock back would push him through the looped arena but the character still wouldn't move far enough to get behind you(if you don't understand I can try to draw it out). This method could also be applied to attacks so you don't feel your own energy attack hit from behind you.

EDIT:

here's a picture to illustrate my idea.

...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Sun May 30, 2010 10:32 pm

I wanted a populated city since the first Tenkaichi game. At least I'd like for cars to be driving around.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Mon May 31, 2010 2:52 am

I reckon they should've put a 'Create-a-stage' mode in RB2. It could be done quite easily and would be something new for the series instead of the same product every time.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon May 31, 2010 4:33 am

bkev wrote:...and it's a low-res jpeg from IGN? :p
That and the game is still probably being developed a bit more.

jjgp1112 wrote:I must say, the graphics in this game are awesome. A huge improvement over the first one.
Thank you. Finally someone who isn't clouded by their love of the Budokai games can see this.

Good to know I'm not going blind.

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Mon May 31, 2010 9:26 am

I would also think they would have done some transitions to other stages by now, as in smooth (you can see the scenery change subtley).

Imagine fighting at Roshi's Island and then flying after Raditz over the Sea and eventually finding the big wasteland.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon May 31, 2010 9:30 am

Vegeta Jr wrote:I would also think they would have done some transitions to other stages by now, as in smooth (you can see the scenery change subtley).

Imagine fighting at Roshi's Island and then flying after Raditz over the Sea and eventually finding the big wasteland.
Another great thing about Burst Limit (which I haven't seen mentioned here yet), is that the scenery can change at any time.
Start in a wasteland, get knocked into the the sky and you're fighting above the clouds. Get knocked back down, and you're on an island with Kame-House in the background. Things are always changining.
If they could do this for Hyper Dimension, a fucking SNES game, I refuse to believe it's anything other than laziness that's preventing Spike from doing it now.

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Mon May 31, 2010 9:32 am

The only problem I have with that though, is the randomness of it. Having the Room of Spirit and time there is just wierd from a wasteland and it isn't a smooth transition.

They were definately on the right track though.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 am

Vegeta Jr wrote:The only problem I have with that though, is the randomness of it. Having the Room of Spirit and time there is just wierd from a wasteland and it isn't a smooth transition.

They were definately on the right track though.
I'll give you that, it was a little odd. Destroying an area to sometimes find out they were in the Room of Spirit and Time all along!
Like some kind of M. Night Shyamalan twist!

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon May 31, 2010 1:48 pm

Here's some ideas for stages:
  • *Use the same mechanics as the Budokai 3 World Map. Someone gets hit, flies around a huge stage, loop around to the other end.
    *Knock opponents in to other stages, a-la Burst Limit. Instead of just ascending to the top of the stage, have Dragon Rising move the player into a sky stage. Hell, have Kami's Lookout over the normal Earth stage!
    *During the battle, have the battlefield change. Have the entire planet tremble and lightning in the sky. As more ki is used and more damage is dealt, have rocks start to float and waves start to behave more erratically. Trees begin to die and buildings and mountains crumble.
    *Start using a ROUND function. On the first round, the stage is normal, on the second, it's a bit more damaged, on the third, the entire planet is erupting. Go back and play on the Namek Stage in Super DBZ. It's awesome.
Some Gameplay Mechanics ideas:
  • *Use Budokai 3's dodging system. Tapping the guard button will let the player dodge an attack at the cost of ki.
    *Reintroduce Sparking!'s directional blocking. Block up to block attacks from above, ect.
    *Make it so that if a fighter has low ki, they can be knocked out of their current transformation.

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon May 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Also make it so that debris doesn't disappear into thin air before it's even hit the ground.

Although all these demands would probably require longer development time and a higher budget, which if you think about it won't happen. The Dragonball Z games are aimed at a young audience primarily and developers won't go too far out of their way to make a big deep comprehensive game with solid game mechanics if they know it's going to get high sales every year based on what they always already put out. Only games aimed for a mature audience get the 'a-list' treatment so to speak.
http://dbz-man.deviantart.com/

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon May 31, 2010 2:18 pm

DBZ MAN wrote:The Dragonball Z games are aimed at a young audience primarily and developers won't go too far out of their way to make a big deep comprehensive game with solid game mechanics
Budokai 3 or Burst Limit? No? Not even Advance Adventure?
Dimps make some great DBZ titles son, you should play them sometime.
Heck, if you've got a grudge against Dimps, try Super Dragon Ball Z. It's a beautiful looking title, with solid game mechanics.
DBZ MAN wrote:Only games aimed for a mature audience get the 'a-list' treatment so to speak.
I can't even tell you how pissed off I am to read something so stupid.
Tell me, have you ever played any of the Mario games?

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon May 31, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm not having a go at Dimps, a great game doesn't have to have deep game mechanics. Simple RPG's are great games, like Pokemon. What I'm saying is Dimps or any other developer with the Dragonball Z franchise aren't going to make any technical acheivments with the games as they intend them to be for a younger audience. What we all would like from a Dragonball Z game sometimes (like environmental effects, amazing physics engine, amazing graphics) are perhaps too much to ask as it's main audience is for young teens. The franchise won't be treated that way, It's a cartoon show.

So 'Mario' isn't what I had in mind when I was referring to the treatment this franchise will get. Mario isn't praised for how well the grass texture looks in its games :roll:
Seems you need to stop getting so pissed over such a trivial issue.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon May 31, 2010 3:36 pm

DBZ MAN wrote:So 'Mario' isn't what I had in mind when I was referring to the treatment this franchise will get. Mario isn't praised for how well the grass texture looks in its games :roll:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 has been receiving 10's from many game journalists, including IGN, Gamespot and Edge... just saying that includes graphics.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 31, 2010 3:58 pm

Silver Sinspawn wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Silver Sinspawn wrote:^this

Besides, you guys seem quick to forget how bad RB1 was.
We're quick to forget because this is a sequel.

Sequels improve over their predecessors. It has happened many a time.
Oh hell yeah. Spiderman 2. Yugioh GX. Linkin Parks Meteora. Broly the Second Coming. Digimon the second series. Need I go on?
The only thing that was ever better as a sequel was Pokemon Gold and Silver as opposed to Blue and Red.
What was wrong with SM2, and Digimon Season 2? I don't see how you did not like Super Mario Bros 3? Anyways I hope this a big improvement like Budokai 3 was to Budokai 2.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DBZ MAN
Regular

Post by DBZ MAN » Mon May 31, 2010 4:13 pm

Rory wrote:
DBZ MAN wrote:So 'Mario' isn't what I had in mind when I was referring to the treatment this franchise will get. Mario isn't praised for how well the grass texture looks in its games :roll:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 has been receiving 10's from many game journalists, including IGN, Gamespot and Edge... just saying that includes graphics.
On the Wii yes. And it was highly praised because it was an addictive fun game for the family. Not because it was a technical achievement like Killzone, GTA or Street Fighter.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon May 31, 2010 4:16 pm