"Raging Blast 2" Gigantic On-Going Gaming Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jaruka
Regular

Re: "Raging Blast 2" Pre-Release Discussion

Post by Jaruka » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:00 pm

monkeydlogan wrote:Yea Super Vegeta in his Majin Buu arc outfit was really neat
Glad I'm not the only one who likes little details like that, though, the ultimate costume to see Vegeta's Super Saiyan forms in is definitely in his original Saiyan armour.

Though... I'm not expecting very many decent alternate costumes for this game, yeah, I'm really wishing for them but I remain pessimistic until proved otherwise.
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:02 pm

Disclaimer - This is me wanting a lecture and not being confronting.

Why should Ultimate Gohan be a separate character?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:06 pm

batistabus wrote:Disclaimer - This is me wanting a lecture and not being confronting.

It wasn't a transformation, it was an unlock of the power inside of his body. After he was unlocked there isn't a need for any transformations. It was an 'unnatural occurance' [which is why Majin Vegeta should be seperate]. Also he was Ultimate for the duration of DBZ, so [however long the Kid Buu to Uub gap was] many years warrents him to be a seperate character.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:12 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:
batistabus wrote:Disclaimer - This is me wanting a lecture and not being confronting.

It wasn't a transformation, it was an unlock of the power inside of his body. After he was unlocked there isn't a need for any transformations. It was an 'unnatural occurance' [which is why Majin Vegeta should be seperate]. Also he was Ultimate for the duration of DBZ, so [however long the Kid Buu to Uub gap was] many years warrents him to be a seperate character.
But as far as the game is concerned, wouldn't he just be a stronger version of regular Gohan? It's not like he learns a new fighting style. I think that being a transformation was the most practical thing to do. The form isn't different enough to warrant it's own character slot. Maybe the best thing would be to prevent powering down after the form is achieved? Or you have to power down to base and then go straight there?

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:14 pm

Plus he changes drastically in terms of power, attitude and even his fighting style, he resorts more to physical moves than beams and blasts.

I'm not too sure about that "Ultimate 1" and "Ultimate 2" but I did like the concept of Ultimate Gohan in Super DBZ using a sword. But, in these games it could be at least an outfit, that would be nice.

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:15 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:

Nah, Spike wont add him, just a Super Saiyan 3 Gohan instead :lol:

But as for Ultimate Gohan being a separate character, I'm not too convinced myself. If he's in then yes, he should be a separate character for the reasons that LeprikanGT pointed out, however, I believe he would be a waste of a character and instead, it should be an option for a power-up as Gohan, one that is permanent and blocks transformations. Maybe if it cost something like 5 blast stocks it'd be interesting, then again if we're going that far I'll be met with the argument of "Why not just make him a separate character then, or at least a transformation" and the only reason I can give is that I'd see him as a waste, especially if we only get 25-odd new characters.

While we're talking about characters, so far we have about 15 confirmed. That leaves us six more returning-from-Tenkaichi characters, four more new-to-Tenkaichi characters and two what-ifs, is that right?
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:17 pm

DNA wrote:Plus he changes drastically in terms of power, attitude and even his fighting style, he resorts more to physical moves than beams and blasts.

I'm not too sure about that "Ultimate 1" and "Ultimate 2" but I did like the concept of Ultimate Gohan in Super DBZ using a sword. But, in these games it could be at least an outfit, that would be nice.
Ultimate Gohan never had a sword, that was regular Gohan wasn't it?

Ultimate Gohan DID have a different fighting style and a different personality [said by Piccolo].

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:19 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Gohan DID have a different fighting style and a different personality [said by Piccolo].
I understand this, but the game doesn't force you to use physical combat or ki so his personality and preference to be more physical wouldn't matter.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:30 pm

I figure everything after his power being unlocked is him being a 'new' person and him never powering down to a weaker form, or never even needing those forms make him his own character.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:48 pm

I couldn't care less if Ultimate Gohan was a transformation, or his own character. Others in the game can't regress to previous forms, so why not make him a transformation from base that you can't revert back from? It adds another costume to Gohan, and he can still have his unique animations, etc.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:34 pm

How hard could it be to design a face and its expressions? They've already cheated once and used Goku's body. Just stretch it a bit taller.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I couldn't care less if Ultimate Gohan was a transformation, or his own character. Others in the game can't regress to previous forms, so why not make him a transformation from base that you can't revert back from? It adds another costume to Gohan, and he can still have his unique animations, etc.
I guess I could live with that, especially with all the "adding new costumes". The only issue is that they seem to limit the costumes to about 6, which is crap for Goku for example, seeing as he's got a fagillion costumes.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:07 pm

They limited it to 6 last game, but now that we've merged most the characters that had Early, Mid, and/or Late versions of themselves, they should only add costumes now and NEVER replace them. Play's manga-esque coloring better not take the spot of one of Goku's actual costumes,...I'll be mad. lol Speaking of costumes, I'd be happy with these additions for him somewhere by the end of RB3: Blue dogi (End of Z), Yardrat outfit, Bomber jacket (relaxation before Cell Game), Battle Jacket (Bulma's version). That would have given us 10 Goku costumes, and he'd never need another new Z costume again IMO.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:00 pm

You kno whats weird? Vegeta's outfit where he has I think a black jacket, reddish orange shirt, tan pants and black shoes has only been in Budokai 1. I think it would be cool to bring that back, same with Goku's alternate attire which is similar.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:00 am

LeprikanGT wrote:

But it was a transformation, as far as we know(if you want to take GT into consideration or not) Gohan can go back and forth between forms. The logical choice would be, as others have said, to make it so you either can't power down from Ultimate Gohan or just return to base. If it will make you happy, view it like the fusions in BT3. Take for example Gotenks, you can select him from the beginning or by fusing in battle but either way, the character can only be found under Goten's or Trunk's slots. The same logic should be applied to Ultimate Gohan and Majin Vegeta.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:10 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:If it will make you happy, view it like the fusions in BT3. Take for example Gotenks, you can select him from the beginning or by fusing in battle but either way, the character can only be found under Goten's or Trunk's slots. The same logic should be applied to Ultimate Gohan and Majin Vegeta.
Fusions were separate in Raging Blast, though. Why apply that logic to Majin Vegeta and Ultimate Mystic Jesus Superman Gohan when the "fusions as transformations" logic doesn't even apply to fusions in this series?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:14 am

Eddie wrote:
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:If it will make you happy, view it like the fusions in BT3. Take for example Gotenks, you can select him from the beginning or by fusing in battle but either way, the character can only be found under Goten's or Trunk's slots. The same logic should be applied to Ultimate Gohan and Majin Vegeta.
Fusions were separate in Raging Blast, though. Why apply that logic to Majin Vegeta and Ultimate Mystic Jesus Superman Gohan when the "fusions as transformations" logic doesn't even apply to fusions in this series?
Oh, I didn't know that. Why did they undo something that made perfect sense? Can you still fuse in battle, I only had the game for three days and I really didn't explore the fusions that much(hell I don't think I unlocked any lol).
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:40 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Oh, I didn't know that. Why did they undo something that made perfect sense? Can you still fuse in battle, I only had the game for three days and I really didn't explore the fusions that much(hell I don't think I unlocked any lol).
Yeah you could still fuse in battle but you couldnt have Gogeta, Goku, and Vegeta on the same team.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:07 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:Oh, I didn't know that. Why did they undo something that made perfect sense? Can you still fuse in battle, I only had the game for three days and I really didn't explore the fusions that much(hell I don't think I unlocked any lol).
In team battle fights you can fuse during the fight (as long as you have both necessary characters, of course).
I think that here is actually a good reason that fusions & Majin Vegeta are separate. In Raging Blast, there was a focus on making the characters feel unique. The melee attacks vary between characters. The developers also added a signature skill button. Signature skills are little techniques that are generally based on little things the characters did at times. Pccolo, for example, stretches his arm out and grabs his opponent. For the most part, different characters (meaning anyone with their own spot on the character select screen) has a unique move. The transformations, however, use the same skills as their earlier forms. Scouter Vegeta, Vegeta, Majin Vegeta, Vegetto, and Gogeta all have different signature skills. Super Saiyan, Super Ultra Steroid, and Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta, however, have the exact same signature move as base Vegeta. Majin Vegeta, had he been a transformation, probably would have played exactly like Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta with a different ultimate technique. Having him as a separate character allowed for a Vegeta that played differently. His melee attacks are more focused on power. They're slower, but they hit harder. His signature attack is a physical combo rather than a barrage of ki blasts. Gohan does seem to fight a bit differently after his powerup, so it might be better to have him as a separate character. He, like Majin Vegeta, could receive a unique playstyle.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:27 am

VegettoEX wrote:So here are some random thoughts I've been having:

We typically learn about any respective upcoming game's theme song a few months before its release. For the original Raging Blast in 2009, we learned about Hironobu Kageyama's "Progression" in a Jump scan that July (the game was released in November, the relatively-consistent time frame for the franchise's major console game releases for years... with the exception of Burst Limit, which came out in June 2007, though you could argue that METEOR was the "major" release that year... and speaking of which...). Digging back a couple years earlier, the same thing happened with Sparking! METEOR -- we learned about "Super Survivor" in July for the game's October release.

We are heading into September 2010, with Raging Blast 2 due out in early November. There has not been a single peep about a new song. Any trailer seen for the game so far features some generic guitar rock; trailers for previous games have started featuring the game's theme song at this point along the way in their life cycle.

The wording for Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans has been pretty vague. I could be entirely wrong, but I would not be surprised to see the feature take the "place" of what would normally be an "opening" to the game -- that is to say, it may auto-play the feature after the initial opening studio credits (and probably have an option to watch it from the regular menu screens, too).

I'm getting pretty concerned that we won't actually be getting a new vocal theme this time around. In terms of console games, we've had an opening "theme song" dating all the way back to the PS1 era, and all with vocals since Final Bout. Some games here and there may have recycled older songs (the first DBZ/Budokai, Sparking! and Sparking! NEO, for example)... but they've always been there in some capacity.

Anyone else have any random thoughts or concerns about this stuff? Or is it just me who's year-after-year waiting to toss my money at Kageyama? Then again, we're not even talking about a CD single release, and I'm no longer even worrying that Kageyama has been shoved aside with all the Kai hotness -- we're talking about a song existing for the game at all. :(
It wouldn't bother me too much. A snippet from the OVA remake with the new "Head-Cha-La" playing in the background, would suffice as an opening for me.