A Question On The Tenkaichi Series

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blue
Advanced Regular

A Question On The Tenkaichi Series

Post by Blue » Fri May 14, 2010 2:38 am

I was playing Tenkaichi 2 a few nights ago and I was wondering, is there a reason instead of putting barriers up around the arenas they just don't make the arenas loop? In case I'm not being clear, y'know how on the world map when you get to the end of one side you appear parallel to the side you left? It seems like that system would be a lot less restrictive. Is there a technical limitation regarding that or something?
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: A Question On The Tenkaichi Series

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri May 14, 2010 5:56 am

I don't know why they didn't make the stages loop, but I guess it was probably a technical issue. Either way, it would be awesome if they actually did. :P

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Fri May 14, 2010 10:06 am

Would look weird if you hit them and they were flown so far back that they ended up behind you. It would also cause issues with attacks; they would just continuously go on and on.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri May 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Vegeta Jr wrote:Would look weird if you hit them and they were flown so far back that they ended up behind you. It would also cause issues with attacks; they would just continuously go on and on.
Finally, someone who gets it. Everyone seemed to so anal about stage-looping not included.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Fri May 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanos wrote:
Vegeta Jr wrote:Would look weird if you hit them and they were flown so far back that they ended up behind you. It would also cause issues with attacks; they would just continuously go on and on.
Finally, someone who gets it. Everyone seemed to so anal about stage-looping not included.
I didn't even know this was a debated issue,geeze. :?
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Fri May 14, 2010 3:46 pm

Just to go into a little more detail, the stages are too small to support effective looping. The knock back from attacks can send you more than half way across an area already and when hovering in the area, you would literally be able to see several reiterations of your opponent if the arena was looped.

Increasing the stage size would lead to a decrease in detail which probably wouldn't go down well. And as others have argued, some attacks just go on and on, potentially resulting in a never ending loop should it not collide with anything.

Of course, most of these problems are fixable, but Tenkaichi/Raging Blast is set in its ways, for good or ill.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri May 14, 2010 11:16 pm

There is always a way to program around this situation. For example you could limit the knock back distance so that the opponent automatically catches himself before he hits the loop(to avoid said opponent ending up behind you). To avoid making the loop feel like a barrier you could set a censor so that if the characters were fighting close to the looping point the knock back would push him through the looped arena but the character still wouldn't move far enough to get behind you(if you don't understand I can try to draw it out). This method could also be applied to attacks so you don't feel your own energy attack hit from behind you.

EDIT:

here's a picture to illustrate my idea.

...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat May 15, 2010 2:48 am

Good idea SparkyPantsMcGee. I'm pretty sure that won't be hard to implement on future Tenkaichi games.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat May 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Good idea SparkyPantsMcGee. I'm pretty sure that won't be hard to implement on future Tenkaichi games.
Thanks for the compliment, and I'm not getting my hopes up,but I hope they try something similar to this for RB2. I mean, there are ways around this border problem and my idea is only a basic one. If Spike focused more on producing a quality product instead of a cash-in we'd see more ideas like this from the creators themselves.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?