Burst Limit - Unfinished?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Burst Limit - Unfinished?

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat May 15, 2010 7:44 pm

A lot of people dislike Burst Limit for the lack of characters, stages and overall content but when you finish the Freeza and Cell arcs you see a montage of cutscenes. While watching these I noticed a lot of stuff that was not included in the game leading me to believe that the games was a rushed product and not yet finished(In no particular order):

-Chaozu character model
-Gohan in his clothes seen at the start of DBZ
- City Stage
- Goku training on his ship cutscene
- Kami's ship in space cutscene
- King Cold character model
- Mecha Freeza character model
- Freeza's ship flying towards Earth cutscene
- Chaozu sacrificing himself cutscene
- Gohan charging Raditz cutscene
- Goku fighting Freeza cutscene
- Raditz and Goku at Kame House cutscene
- Bardock and Freeza in space cutscene
-Trunks vs. Freeza cutscene
- Trunks and Vegeta leaving the Hyperbolic Time Chamber cutscene
- Trunks and Gohan finding Cell and the time machine cutscene
- Nappa blowing up the city
- 17 and 18 awaken
- Goku leaving his ship to save Gohan from Recoome cutscene
- Snakeway
- Trunks vs. Cell in the future
- Goku finding King Kai's Planet cutscene
- Goku with angel wings
(Some of these may have been in drama pieces)

There's more stuff in the end credits:
- Great Ape Vegeta character model
- Yajirobe charcter model
- Z fighters vs. Great Ape Vegeta
- Cell coming up behind 17
- Super Saiyan 2 Goku character model

Another thing backing this up is the lack of alternate costumes, the poorly done Cell, Bardock and Broly arcs and the non-exsistent Buu arc. Also I find it kind of wierd that space and the ROSAT are above the stages.

Here are the links to the videos so you can see for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBfh15F65Z0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_SmkKysiE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekt-CiMKgxs

Also, notice the funny poses the villians were doing in the end credits. :lol:
Last edited by DragonBoxZTheMovies on Sat May 22, 2010 5:01 am, edited 7 times in total.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Burst Limit-Unfinished?

Post by mysticboy » Sat May 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Maybe they were planning on putting these in the in the game itself, but decided to scrap them and focus more on graphics.
Last edited by mysticboy on Sat May 15, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat May 15, 2010 9:00 pm

You forgot to mention the whole Boo arc. :P

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 am

With the amount of polish put into the game it was hardly unfinished. Content wise I'm sure they planned to put in more for the game in the early parts of the development stages but I'm sure budget and time restraints limited that option. I think it's possible that they didn't have enough budgeting to produce the game to it's fullest potential; to the higher ups, Dragonball is just a cash in series, something they could produce cheaply and still gain a decent amount of revenue from. Also, the game was produced while development for the PS3 and 360 was still a new thing. So with that in mind, I'd like to think Dimps decided to focus on making a pretty, easy to pick up but still polished fighter for the next generation and hoped it would pick up enough sales to warrant a higher budget sequel.

Those scenes weren't probably polished enough for the game so Dimps decided to scrap them from story mode and pop them into the credits at the end. That or maybe they felt that if they added those scenes in, they'd hinder the story mode(remember this is a fighting game). In either case, the game was finished, at least more so than Raging Blast was.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Sun May 16, 2010 11:38 am

Character models are all well and good, but they still need to impliment actual movesets and animations to them.

The only thing I felt was lacking was that there was no World Tournement mode.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun May 16, 2010 11:55 am

Vegeta Jr wrote:The only thing I felt was lacking was that there was no World Tournement mode.
I'm the same way. That was my only problem with Burst limit.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sun May 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Someone should look at the files on the disc and try to find any unused stuff. Remember those unused soundclips from Budokai 3?
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sun May 16, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm curious to see how much disc space the game took up. On the PS3 it probably didn't take up that much space(being Blu-ray and all), but I want to see how much space it took up on the 360. That would explain if those scenes were scrapped for disc space reasons or if it was something else.

Man, I wish a developer was a part of this forum. I'd liked to get some insight on the production of these Dragonball games from both Spike and Dimps.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Re: Burst Limit - Unfinished?

Post by NECPS » Thu May 20, 2010 6:20 pm

I don't really know what happened but Dimps seems to be losing dragonballz franchise
(thanks to Spike or not). They release an unfinished version of a "game" that is Infiniteworld,
and Burstlimit seems just like started being in development, but we never got a second
version. Thing is, they maybe making something that surpasses even B3, or dying forever.

I still have my PS2 just to play a few titles and B3GH is one of them. Even, I still don't have a
lcd screen just so PS2 games don't look like crap to my eagle vision, but I do have a PS3 !
Soon I will end up buying a new tv. Soon.. I will be orphan on B3.. I am the one who is dying
here, Dimps ... to never hook up on a dbz game ever again. (I am pretty old too, I am starting
to sense it more than anyone could tell me)

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Fri May 21, 2010 9:24 am

It's quite possible that Burst Limit was not finished, and the (awesome!!!) credits cutscenes we get are just remnants of unfinished, full-length scenes. After all, a game can be unfinished and still be polished and fun - look at Knights of the Old Republic 2. It was unfinished, and yet EA wanted Obsidian to meet a certain deadline, and so the game was released. Without knowing anything about the going ons at Dimps during the production of Burst Limit...well, we don't know what happened.

Either that, or these cutscenes were simply a very clever marking ploy, used as trailers to get guillable fans (i.e. me) to buy the game on the promise that we would finally get another game with Budokai 1 level cutscenes and storytelling :P

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri May 21, 2010 3:06 pm

SSJmole wrote:
Vegeta Jr wrote:The only thing I felt was lacking was that there was no World Tournement mode.
I'm the same way. That was my only problem with Burst limit.
Are there any other DBZ Fighting Games that lack a Tournament mode?
I never looked to see if Hyper Dimension has one...
(Though I honestly don't care one way or the other. :P)
ThunderPX wrote:Someone should look at the files on the disc and try to find any unused stuff. Remember those unused soundclips from Budokai 3?
What I was thinking as well... this is still possible with PS3/360 games, isn't it?
(English needs a "ne" / "n'est-ce pas". "eh" doesn't count.)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 21, 2010 5:35 pm

Most elements in these cutscenes are actually cheaply done, using animation from fight cutscenes or other cutscenes (for example Burdock versus Freezer), new character models placed in old settings (the city looks like it's almost taken straight from PS2, etc...).

However, there is at least one cutscene that was really using its own animations and seemed finished, which makes it strange that they didn't include it: Son Goku versus Freezer, echoing the Budokai 3 intro. We don't know why they didn't put that one at the beginning of the fight and replaced it with a generic battle animation after the "for all Saiyans and Namek I'll make you pay" speech... They did prove they could use full-fledged cutscenes both before and after the fight with the following, Super Saiyan chapter.

Maybe they also planned to include the unfinished scenes later with DLC, showcasing them and teasing the players with those credit scenes, but later scrapped the plan.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat May 22, 2010 4:58 am

List has been updated with a few things I missed along with links to the credits and special videos so you can see them for yourself.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Sat May 22, 2010 11:45 am

Also, in the montages Goku has all of his various gis save for the Android/Cell saga gi.

There were some other things that I mentioned in a thread a while back, but I can't remember them now. I think the lack of a RoSaT stage is one (I mean, it's a stage in a stage, but it doesn't have its own stage).

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun May 30, 2010 3:35 pm

caejones wrote:Are there any other DBZ Fighting Games that lack a Tournament mode?
Infinite World didn't have a Tournament Mode, nor did Sagas.
14 years later

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun May 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
caejones wrote:Are there any other DBZ Fighting Games that lack a Tournament mode?
Infinite World didn't have a Tournament Mode, nor did Sagas.
Sagas wasn't really a straight-up fighter, so you can't really fault it for that (you can however fault it for everything else :P); but Infinite World... :evil:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.