Why do DB/Z RPG/adventure games tend to fail?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Why do DB/Z RPG/adventure games tend to fail?

Post by caejones » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:08 pm

... are there no developers willing to put the effort in, or what?
Apparently, the best of these out there are for the DS.

It doesn't seem like it should be _that_ difficult to come up with a DB/Z game that is something other than one-on-one fights all the times.
(Or two-on-two on the PSP. :P )

Is the fanbase just that disinterested in anything other than "BROLI SMASH!"? Or do the Japanese developers have a phobia of anything that isn't card/turn-based and/or on a handheld?

The Z-era had plenty of non-fighting elements worthy of exploitation.
  • Namek was nothing short of a strategy game with moving around and hiding and such. Even during the Freeza fight, location was relevant, while people kept track of Dende, ketp Freeza away from people in need of healing, and the terrain was constantly changing because of the fight. I could go on.
  • The ordeal with Gero's creation was a series of search-and-"destroy?" events, involving searching South City, then the mountains, then all of the Imperfect Cell sneaking-ness. The saga is pretty much all strategy-while-moving up until Vegeta Vs. Cell.
  • The Buu arc was a lot of strategic moving around, right up until the fight with Super Buu... and even that involved wandering. Admitedly, though, at this point it loses the "might be good gameplay" element that the previous sagas had.
That was nothing resembling in-depth.

Bah, who needs random minor baddies and level-grinding, anyway? --_-
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: Why do DB/Z RPG/adventure games tend to fail?

Post by LeprikanGT » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Personally I dislike RPGs and Final Fantasy type games with the free roam and all the upgrading of stuff and all the skills and all that.

I enjoy having my character, knowing how strong they should be and what moves they have and how much damage they should dishout to the right person.

I enjoyed Sagas, they need a more smoothed out Sagas for the PS3 and 360.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Well DB had a couple during the NES-SNES era. Yes I know more consoles got DB games.

They were on main consoles and were released regularly. I don't know what happened in the 15+ years. Fighting games just seem to be the standard now a days.

Also Dragon Ball definitely needs a real-time strategy game, especially Namek-Artificial Humans arc.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:19 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Also Dragon Ball definitely needs a real-time strategy game, especially Namek-Artificial Humans arc.
You could so make an rts out of Freeza's planet conquering business. Coola could be the opposition.

Something like that wouldn't get a huge release though... sooo... Maybe one of those Playstation Minis? I'm not sure. :|
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:59 pm

AgitoZ wrote:Well DB had a couple during the NES-SNES era. Yes I know more consoles got DB games.

They were on main consoles and were released regularly. I don't know what happened in the 15+ years.
I take it people grew tired of them, since they all sucked pretty hard.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:14 am

For the same reason Superman games tend to fail - the characters are so powerful the usual suspension of disbelief for videogames breaks down.

Everybody jokes about "oh gawd a knee-high wall i guess we have to go around!", but it's even more ridiculous when right afterwards you walk two feet, jump in the air and fly off across half the world. Or "you must upgrade ki blasts to level 2 before you can destroy black rocks!" *cut to Vegeta erasing Arlia with a gesture*.

An RTS could be interesting, but only Freeza and Cooler could possibly fit into the genre, unless you went all what-if with an independent Saiyan faction, and/or Terran Empire and Namekian factions.

Hm...

ShiningMoon
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShiningMoon » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:29 am

Rocketman wrote:An RTS could be interesting, but only Freeza and Cooler could possibly fit into the genre, unless you went all what-if with an independent Saiyan faction, and/or Terran Empire and Namekian factions.
Mm, now that could be some good fun. Seems there'd be a lot of possibilities there...and I don't think it would even be that tough to balance, either...not that I know anything about that kind of stuff, being generally only a casual player of RTS games. But I think a DB Universe RTS would be like crack to me, in any case.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:39 am

Was Attack of the Saiyans a failure? Even though the battle system was extremely simple, I still thought that was a great game.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:35 am

I think the reason why DB/Z adventure games fail is because they dont look like Asura's Wrath or God Of War.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:35 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:I think the reason why DB/Z adventure games fail is because they dont look like Asura's Wrath or God Of War.
And if they do, then the GOW fanboys will call foul. I seen it done on other games. At least in comment section on game walk through vids.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:44 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Was Attack of the Saiyans a failure? Even though the battle system was extremely simple, I still thought that was a great game.
Yeah that game was awesome.

Tenshinhan-san
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenshinhan-san » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:11 pm

IMHO Attack Of The Saiyans is one of the of not THE best DBZ game I have ever played.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:Personally I dislike RPGs and Final Fantasy type games with the free roam and all the upgrading of stuff and all the skills and all that.
I'm getting to where I like a mix of free-roaming and set stages... but I don't care for stats anymore. (Even though Dragonball is all about the leveling up... :( ).

LeprikanGT wrote: I enjoyed Sagas, they need a more smoothed out Sagas for the PS3 and 360.
Agreed. Unfortunately, the combination of the numerous issues with it, that it was an American release from a company no-longer involved with DBZ, and the fact that noone in the industry seems to care makes that unlikely to happen. :(
(I'm curious as to how sagas would have handled Buu, glitches aside...)
Rocketman wrote:For the same reason Superman games tend to fail - the characters are so powerful the usual suspension of disbelief for videogames breaks down.

Everybody jokes about "oh gawd a knee-high wall i guess we have to go around!", but it's even more ridiculous when right afterwards you walk two feet, jump in the air and fly off across half the world. Or "you must upgrade ki blasts to level 2 before you can destroy black rocks!" *cut to Vegeta erasing Arlia with a gesture*.
Best point ever. XD
Still, there are still challenges that occurred in the source material... surely the Namek ninjaing would work in game form? Or the various shenanigans during the Cell arc?
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:12 am

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:Was Attack of the Saiyans a failure? Even though the battle system was extremely simple, I still thought that was a great game.
Yeah, that game was definitely one of my favorite DBZ games. I couldn't put it down until I beat it! Still no news on a sequel...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:36 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:
Yeah, that game was definitely one of my favorite DBZ games. I couldn't put it down until I beat it! Still no news on a sequel...
The ending to the game alluded a sequel, so I'd say there's a decent chance of Monolith making one.

Here's something else I wanted to throw out there: http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23961

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:54 am

Yeah, I figured the Freeza silhoette meant there was a guaranteed sequel, but it's been well over a year now...
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Don't forget the 3DS is coming out, and there's at least one "Dragonball 3D" title coming to it. If anything, I'd bet it's Dragonball DS/Origins 3 (an adventure series which I like, at least the first anyway), but it just might be the next DBZ rpg. :wink:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Hm...

'K. Why are they all for handhelds, then? =P

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:10 pm

caejones wrote:Hm...

Touche my friend. Keep the RPGs for the handhelds and the full blown fighters for the consoles.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:12 pm

LeprikanGT wrote:
caejones wrote:Hm...

Touche my friend. Keep the RPGs for the handhelds and the full blown fighters for the consoles.
But I can't play handhelds... :cry:

And all of the DBZ RPGs for handhelds seem to be either turn-based or card-based, for some awkward, probably-Japanese-seeded reason...