Your favourite DB video game(s)?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Re: Your favourite DB video game(s)?

Post by caejones » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:19 am

My opinion is skewed by a number of things...
I can't play handhelds (though I'm curious as to how accessible the DS is... haven't bothered yet...), and my vision got to "useless for video games" in the PS2 era. Atop that, I've had rather little time to play DBZ games since late 2004.

Having said all of that...
The Budokai games are only fun to me when we're playing solely to try new things we've learned. I'm specifically looking at B3's teleport-counter. Seriously didn't learn that until this summer. If not for all the tutorialing my cousin and I did with that this summer, I wouldn't care for the Budokai games at all.

My copy of Super DBZ froze a lot. I think we bought a new copy without the freezing, but haven't played it much. I think I'd be a lot more into Super DBZ if I could see it better. But don't care much at the moment.

For a while I preferred BT1 to BT3, as I got a stronger feeling of being immersed in the world from it. I've since gotten way too use to the pace of BT3 to not be kinda let down by BT1.

I enjoyed Ultimate Battle 22 because of a lot of the little things that were included, like the cutscenes and some of the ultimates. But I can't play Japanese PS1 games anymore, the US release doesn't have the cutscenes, and I can't pull off the ultimates competitively because I can no longer tell when I'm close enough for them to connect, or what side I'm on half the time. Also, even I, who never gave a crap about graphics so long as I could play the game, found UB22's graphics to be hilariously bad.

Final Bout was pretty meh. Fun sometimes. The ball on the Vs. screen doubled as a measure of changes in my vision. As it got worse, the shine on the ball would spread out and fade and look like an ugly stain or like the ball had faded in the sun or something.

I like Sagas. Shoot me.

But... favorites... I am terrible at picking favorites.
In my present situation, I'll say toss up between BT3, Sagas and Super DBZ, solely because none of the other games use stereo during gameplay. :P
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:58 pm

KakaR0T wrote:I like the Budokai games for PS2
I also love the GBA games, especially the "Legacy of Goku" series.

AVGN should do reviews on these (or at least on any ones that aren't so good)
I have been begging for a LOG1 review since I myself reviewed that piece of trash last year.
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:It added three new costumes, and the opinion to switch to the Japanese track.
I see, thank you very much.
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]
[Former dub fan 1996-2008]

gokuhan72

Post by gokuhan72 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Budokai 1, Budokai 2, Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3.

I never played Budokai 3.

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:36 pm

gokuhan72 wrote:Budokai 1, Budokai 2, Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3.

I know that I'm deffinitely in the minorty here, but I also loved Budokai 2. Am I the only one who actually liked the board game style story mode?
[url=http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=9403] 12 years, 100 memories[/url]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Gogeta 00 wrote:

I know that I'm deffinitely in the minorty here, but I also loved Budokai 2. Am I the only one who actually liked the board game style story mode?
You, me, I think VegettoEX...
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:44 pm

caejones wrote:
Gogeta 00 wrote:

Well that's good to know, I honestly don't think I've read anything positive about it before, but I thought it was a neat little concept that added a bit more then just arcade fighting to a DB video game story mode.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:01 pm

caejones wrote:
Gogeta 00 wrote:I know that I'm deffinitely in the minorty here, but I also loved Budokai 2. Am I the only one who actually liked the board game style story mode?
And me too.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 pm

I liked Budokai 2's story mode too. My only real qualms about it was that you had to fight opponents multiple times to kill them, as well as recurring villains like the Cell Juniors that just kept popping up like insects. Other than that, I had fun with it, and was a nice twist on the tried-and-tested "fight bad guy, cutscene, repeat" story mode.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Hyper Dimension, no doubt. Loved the Ki/Life system,music and the wide variety of characters and attacks (for the time).

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Turtle Marked Stone wrote:Hyper Dimension, no doubt. Loved the Ki/Life system,music and the wide variety of characters and attacks (for the time).
Sorta-kinda incorporating in-game transformations? The characters get to do a bunch of tricks they don't get to do right in modern games? All of this despite having the smallest cast ever?
Why couldn't we get Hyper Dimention: Neo?

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Budokai 3 is my favorite. It's well balanced in terms of learning curve, content and fun factor. The story mode was fun to play, the fighting animation was fluid and the game was easy to pick up and play but also fun to master. I hear in terms of fighting mechanics, Infinite Worlds is better but I haven't really played so B3 takes the cake for me.

My dream game however would be to have a game that looked like Burst limit; played like a cross between Marvel Vs Capcom(fighting mechanics) and Super DBZ(level design); and the content(characters and combos) of Budokai 3.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

cpd12589
Beyond Newbie

Post by cpd12589 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Right now my favorite DB game is Tenkaichi 3 for sure. Raging Blast 2 is a close second but it just feels like what RB1 should've been. I think if they add the DB and DBGT characters into Raging Blast 3(if that comes out and I really hope it does) that would be a huge improvement as well as putting the giant characters back into it since they are huge for the story. Like Great Ape Gohan, Great Ape Vegeta, Great Ape Kid Goku, Golden Oozaru Baby Vegeta, Hirudegarn, Janemba, Slug, etc are a major part of DB, DBZ and GT stories. Although I really like Galaxy Mode since it allows you to play a lot more with all the characters a DBZ game just has to have some sort of story mode.

If RB3 has DB and GT characters and puts the giant characters back in than I think that will definitely be the best DBZ game ever. But right now the best DBZ game IMO is BT3. It just feels more complete to me.

Sun-Wukong
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sun-Wukong » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Gogeta 00 wrote:

I'd say I like it overall. I definitely enjoyed it the first few times, but I just couldn't play through it enough times to unlock everything, I burned out.
This will never not be my sig:
VegettoEX wrote:"Snoop Lion" is just a character he's playing for his reggae album and documentary. Him saying that it's his new name is all part of the character.

I can't believe this is on-topic.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:02 am

- Super Goku Den 2
- Hyper Dimension
- Legends
- Advance Adventure
- Super Sonic Warriors

Savage68
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:26 pm

I don't have a favorite. I have three potential favorites, depending on my mood. When I "feel like" embodying Goku, Vegeta, Super Buu 2 or Yi Xing Long, I play METEOR. When I "feel like" playing a DBZ game with powerful gameplay mechanics behind it, I play SBDZ. When I "feel like" playing a cross between the two, I play Infinite World (there's not much of a reason to play Budokai 3 if you have access to IW :P ). I enjoy them all for varying reasons.