"Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden" Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden" Discussion

Post by AgitoZ » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
I don't even think kids play these games.
I don't think kids now these days even like Dragon Ball/Z/GT. Kids seem to like Ben 10, Clone Wars, Yu-Gi-Oh GX, and all that new crap on CN. The fans are the only reason why these games still get made today.
Actually CN isn't even the most popular kid's network, it's been struggling. Which is why they've started some live action shows since the other networks, such as Nick and Disney Channel, have been doing pretty well because of them.

Also what are you talking about? There should be some kids finding out about the franchise from watching Kai on Nicktoons. If I recall correctly it's been doing pretty good on there.

The real problem why these games don't sell as well is due to the lack of advertisement.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:08 am

AgitoZ wrote:
Also what are you talking about? There should be some kids finding out about the franchise from watching Kai on Nicktoons. If I recall correctly it's been doing pretty good on there.
Maybe its just me since I never see any kids under 13 or 14 talk about Dragon Ball, and no stores in my town sell Dragon Ball merchandise. I think Kai is doing well because all of the fans are watching it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:35 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
Maybe its just me since I never see any kids under 13 or 14 talk about Dragon Ball, and no stores in my town sell Dragon Ball merchandise. I think Kai is doing well because all of the fans are watching it.
In my area, I don't see a single kid anywhere talking about Dragonball. Most kids are focused on Bakugan and Clone Wars. My girlfriend works at the Electronic Section/Toy Section at Target, most younger kids ask for Bakugan and Pokemon and nothing else. Not to mention, I was the only person who asked for Dragonball Tag Team Vs...and I'm 20.

As for Kai, yes it's really popular on Nicktoons but like Hellspawn28 said, I think it's because of the fans. Not to mention, Kai is on a channel that not everyone has. How well is the show doing on Toonzai(the CW kids channel)?
songohan619 wrote:I hope they mean this:

The "fighting for you" is some kind of handicap or difficult setting that you can set up as you want.
And that the shouting is for minigames or selectable options in matches.
I hope so too. With this game riding on the Butoden name, I'm expecting a lot of core combat and classic fighter gameplay. I really, really don't want an even more watered down/simplified fighting game.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

ACCloud
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ACCloud » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:59 am

Uh, guys? No where does it ever say that the game "fights for you" (at least, not in any of the links presented in this topic). All it says is that "the game will automatically deal with weak attacks for you even if you don't press any buttons." All that would probably mean is that it features some sort of auto-blocking feature for weak attacks, although what a "weak attack" exactly is, I dunno. Possibly, you'll have one button for strong attacks and one for weak attacks. Presuming that's the case, then the player character probably has some percentage chance of automatically blocking weak attacks - seems the logical thing to me anyhow. Whilst I'm not a fan of any 'auto' system in a fighting game, it would be by no means debilitating and shouldn't really affect the game - assuming the fighting system is solid.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:29 pm

It could be possible that the blocking system might be similar to Super Sonic Warriors/Bukuu Tougeki on the GBA. When you and your opponent dish out and trade weak attacks, simply tapping attack buttons enables you to block attacks automatically (you could also hold them down), and since there were two strengths of basic attacks, you had two strengths of blocking as well. You could easily go back and fourth trading weak attacks, but carefully placing a strong attack or a dash attack would shatter a weak guard.

But who knows. I'm just hoping we'll see some classic Butoden-style special attacks, and of course the beam struggles.
Last edited by Izlude on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 pm

ACCloud wrote:Uh, guys? No where does it ever say that the game "fights for you" (at least, not in any of the links presented in this topic). All it says is that "the game will automatically deal with weak attacks for you even if you don't press any buttons." All that would probably mean is that it features some sort of auto-blocking feature for weak attacks, although what a "weak attack" exactly is, I dunno. Possibly, you'll have one button for strong attacks and one for weak attacks. Presuming that's the case, then the player character probably has some percentage chance of automatically blocking weak attacks - seems the logical thing to me anyhow. Whilst I'm not a fan of any 'auto' system in a fighting game, it would be by no means debilitating and shouldn't really affect the game - assuming the fighting system is solid.
http://shoryuken.com/content/dragon-bal ... tures-2507
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/1 ... _ball_kai/
There's two for ya.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:19 pm

ACCloud wrote:Uh, guys? No where does it ever say that the game "fights for you" (at least, not in any of the links presented in this topic). All it says is that "the game will automatically deal with weak attacks for you even if you don't press any buttons." All that would probably mean is that it features some sort of auto-blocking feature for weak attacks, although what a "weak attack" exactly is, I dunno. Possibly, you'll have one button for strong attacks and one for weak attacks. Presuming that's the case, then the player character probably has some percentage chance of automatically blocking weak attacks - seems the logical thing to me anyhow. Whilst I'm not a fan of any 'auto' system in a fighting game, it would be by no means debilitating and shouldn't really affect the game - assuming the fighting system is solid.
Um, what?

The article is saying the game will deal out weak attacks for you, which is essentially fighting for you. I really hope that this feature is something that can be selected and not standard.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:55 pm

I am looking forward to shout "KamehamehameHA", "Garlic Gun", and "Final Flash", lol.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:06 pm

I'm confused be your post... Lol.

Does FUNi actually say "Garlic Gun" at one point? 'Cause I'm pretty sure they use "Gyallic Gun", or some similar spelling. And Final Flash is in the original... :?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:41 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:I'm confused be your post... Lol.

Does FUNi actually say "Garlic Gun" at one point? 'Cause I'm pretty sure they use "Gyallic Gun", or some similar spelling.
They used "Galick Gun", which is an accurate translation.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:06 am

sangofe wrote:I am looking forward to shout "KamehamehameHA", "Garlic Gun", and "Final Flash", lol.
I'm gonna be yelling them as deliberately as possible.... FAINERU FURAAAASHU, GYARRIKKU-HOOOOO, and even though it wouldn't be there, BANKOKKU BIKKURI-SHOOOOOO.

HOKUTO SHINKEN.

Hopefully there'll be a hard mode.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Cover/potential roster reveal: http://www.saiyanisland.com/2010/11/dra ... -revealed/
SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:
The article is saying the game will deal out weak attacks for you,

With =/= out
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:25 pm

The S wrote:Cover/potential roster reveal: http://www.saiyanisland.com/2010/11/dra ... -revealed/
Very cute cover, especially Goten's abnormally sized head :P

Great Saiyaman I
Regular

Post by Great Saiyaman I » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:31 am

Pretty cool roster. I'm assuming there's going to be more characters such as Fat Boo, Adult Gohan, etc.
-The Great Saiyaman
Herms wrote:
Nex Carnifex wrote:Herms can you translate the whole thing
No.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:21 am

So it looks like we are not going to get no online play?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:25 am

The S wrote:Cover/potential roster reveal: http://www.saiyanisland.com/2010/11/dra ... -revealed/
Yay, They are still Chibified!

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:55 am

Awesome cover! Love #17 pushing down Dr. Gero's head! :lol:
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:26 am

Let's play the "sourcing where we find things" game that sites don't seem to like to do! :D

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004DZO8HE

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:36 am

Ahh, a satisfying dearth of golden hair on the cover... nice change. :)

I like how Kuririn's more front-and-centre this time around, along with... Raditz?!?!?
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

nathantheguitarist
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nathantheguitarist » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:42 pm

I like how Kuririn and Cyborg 18 are awkwardly staring at each other. :mrgreen:
Can't you see? He's the man. Let me hear you applaud. He's more than a man! He's a shiny golden god!