"(Super) Dragon Ball Heroes" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DNA
I Live Here

Re: "(Super) Dragon Ball Heroes" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DNA » Sun May 24, 2020 11:40 am

Yeah, I'm 100% on the same boat. I'd happily buy the manga if there was one localized.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 pm

Noitsnothim wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:01 pm Image
Bojack, Tullece and the weird doctor designs are the best for me in this pic
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dragotaker
Regular

Post by Dragotaker » Mon May 25, 2020 12:04 am

I have no idea what can be done with Bojack but with Turles i swear if they kill him off without at least getting to Super Saiyan, kinda makes me scared being hype after whay they did to him last time, like he is a saiyan is only logical for him get such a form if he is supposed to be stronger.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu May 28, 2020 7:55 am

They've already done everything they are going to do with Bojack and Tullece. They gave them new looks. It's more than what the others got. If you're expecting more than that, prepare to be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nr7HB3P63U

This just released. So, do we now know Doctor W.'s full name or something?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu May 28, 2020 9:39 am

DNA wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:55 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nr7HB3P63U
This just released. So, do we now know Doctor W.'s full name or something?
Nah, ダブリュー is just W spelled out (basically it's "double-you" with katakana). The kanji they show with him, 謎の科学者, translates to "mysterious scientist" according to Google Translate. I can read kana, but not a lot of kanji, so... yeah. So as far as I can tell, there's nothing about him in this commercial that we don't already know.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu May 28, 2020 10:32 am

Sometimes tells me that all this mystery around him will lead absolutely nowhere.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu May 28, 2020 10:57 am

DNA wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:32 am Something tells me that all this mystery around him will lead absolutely nowhere.
I mean, that sounds like DB Heroes to me. It wouldn't be the first time a concept would be dropped before reaching its full potential. Since Dr. W is lumped in with all the other movie villains, it wouldn't be very surprising if it's revealed that he is Dr. Wheelo like the theory says, and then he's beaten at roughly the same time as the other movie villains and forgotten about. I hope it's not going to be that simple, but I'm not holding my breath.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:00 pm

Alruneia wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:57 am
DNA wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:32 am Something tells me that all this mystery around him will lead absolutely nowhere.
I mean, that sounds like DB Heroes to me. It wouldn't be the first time a concept would be dropped before reaching its full potential. Since Dr. W is lumped in with all the other movie villains, it wouldn't be very surprising if it's revealed that he is Dr. Wheelo like the theory says, and then he's beaten at roughly the same time as the other movie villains and forgotten about. I hope it's not going to be that simple, but I'm not holding my breath.
I frankly have no idea what he can bring to the table as a character ngl. And I know heroes isn't famous for that and I am all up for new characters, however I can't see Wheelo being of any use to Fu. Like at all. And if it's yet another new scientist (kinda gets old tbh) we already have Fu and Towa. I feel like he is missing his purpose and was just added to be added. At least with Bojack and Turles you can say that by removing them from the picture some secondary villains may miss. But the Doc W?

Fr I have no idea.
P O W E R

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Thu May 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Well, that's the thing, if Doctor W. was revealed to be Doctor Uiro, that would be at least interesting. But I highly doubt that's the case. If nothing else, it's originally Uiro, so why would they be referencing the English dub name?

Dragotaker
Regular

Post by Dragotaker » Thu May 28, 2020 8:20 pm

They've already done everything they are going to do with Bojack and Tullece. They gave them new looks. It's more than what the others got. If you're expecting more than that, prepare to be disappointed.

Yeah i know what you are saying, still we won't really know until the arcade chapter releases in June, if they plan to use these guys like Hearts and his team in the past mission then we are still far from seeing their true power, whether that makes Turles become Super Saiyan or not is a whole different thing.

About the Doctor, in both anime and manga we saw Xeno Goku and Vegeta meeting him in hell right at the end of what look like to be confrontation so again we need to wait for the arcade for more clues of who he is and what he brings to the table in all of this.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Fri May 29, 2020 3:40 pm

DNA wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:08 pm Well, that's the thing, if Doctor W. was revealed to be Doctor Uiro, that would be at least interesting. But I highly doubt that's the case. If nothing else, it's originally Uiro, so why would they be referencing the English dub name?
"ウィロー" is the standard Katakana spelling for "Willow", it's not some acknowledgement of localization. It's very unlikely it was intended to be a Japanese name.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri May 29, 2020 4:27 pm

Neon Z wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:40 pm
DNA wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:08 pm Well, that's the thing, if Doctor W. was revealed to be Doctor Uiro, that would be at least interesting. But I highly doubt that's the case. If nothing else, it's originally Uiro, so why would they be referencing the English dub name?
"ウィロー" is the standard Katakana spelling for "Willow", it's not some acknowledgement of localization. It's very unlikely it was intended to be a Japanese name.
As far as I'm aware, this isn't completely clear cut. Yes, "Wheelo" is a dub name, no doubt about that, but that's not what I'm gonna talk about. The "uirou" name could have two different origins. The possible origin I think DNA is going for is the Japanese cake by the name of uirou or uirou-mochi, while the other possible origin is "willow" written in katakana as you're suggesting. So it becomes a question of what the name pun actually is.
Since the character name is spelled with a small i, so an ィ instead of an イ, Willow seems more correct to me, but changing the original words up is a big part of making name puns, so I can't draw any conclusions from just that.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 pm

Moving on, the names of the enemies who appeared in “The World’s Strongest Guy” all got their names from Nagoya specialties, such as uirō, Nagoya Cochin, kishimen, ebi-furai, and miso-katsu. These name puns were thought of by scenario writer Takao Koyama.
— “Dragon Ball Daizenshuu 6: Movies & TV Specials” (p. 68)
Unless Willow is a Nagoya specialty, this seems pretty clear cut.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Yeah, DNA is right on there.

That being said, "Willow" pre-dates FUNimation and has been used in Japan, as has "Wheelo" post-FUNimation-

https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu/status/1 ... 1359943683

https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu/status/1 ... 0604674051
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri May 29, 2020 7:39 pm

DNA wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:09 pm
Moving on, the names of the enemies who appeared in “The World’s Strongest Guy” all got their names from Nagoya specialties, such as uirō, Nagoya Cochin, kishimen, ebi-furai, and miso-katsu. These name puns were thought of by scenario writer Takao Koyama.
— “Dragon Ball Daizenshuu 6: Movies & TV Specials” (p. 68)
Unless Willow is a Nagoya specialty, this seems pretty clear cut.
...right, looking into all the other characters' names as well and finding a collective comment on them all might have been a clever thing to do first. Oops. :shifty:
Well, in the end, this theory about Dr. W's identity is all just fan speculation, so there's always the option of just waiting and seeing what it actually is.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat May 30, 2020 2:17 am

Well, I'm not so sure anymore since Japan has used "W" names. I guess we'll soon find out. Maybe.

ShadowVezon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ShadowVezon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:03 pm

They put up a profile for Dr. W a while ago, but I doubt it says anything interesting.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:06 pm

Yeah that's definitely Wheelo.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:31 pm

And you claim that based on... What exactly? Your hunch?

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:27 am

If it truly is Wheelo, I must give them props for being creative by visiting so old concepts and drawing ideas out of them.

Or course they can be creative by just introducing entirely new stuff, however it sounds plausible for him to be Wheelo. When does the mission release?
P O W E R