We'll never get that 2D fighter we've been dreaming of

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

We'll never get that 2D fighter we've been dreaming of

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:20 pm

We either get the Sparking styled fighter or a Budokai styled fighter. Then I guess there's those DS crossover games that I'll most likely never get to play.

We've always talked about getting a Street Fighter/King of Fighter-ish fighting game, But I've always imagined it like the Marvel/Tatsunoko vs Capcom style. Aerial Raves seems like something out of Dragon Ball where everyone would jump really high and do some attacks in the sky before coming back down to the ground.

The closest we got was Super Dragon Ball Z which never got a sequel. There were the games on Super NES/Famicom, but I've never and will never get a chance to play those. There's Mugen, but until I get a PC and get to install it, it's like its not even there. Plus, I never really like the movesets and character models that I saw.

I wonder how hard it is to get a license to make a new DragonBall game? If not a retail or XBLA/PSN/WiiWare release, then a Xbox Live Indies Game.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: We'll never get that 2D fighter we've been dreaming of

Post by Chuquita » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 pm

There's always a chance we'll get a fighter like that in the the next wave, whenever that happens.

The fact that 2D fighters are still made at all still gives it a possibility in the future. :3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Capcom doing a DBZ game would have been a dream come true. Marvel Super Heroes was awesome, and if they had the rights to Dragon Ball then it would have kick ass. I would imagine that Capcom would end up making a Street Fighter or Capcom crossover with Dragon Ball if they had the rights.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm with Chuquita. 2D fighters are still popular among casual and hardcore gamers. I just don't think we'll be seeing a 2D DB game anytime soon.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:28 pm

Never say never my (anonymous) friend. When it comes to video games, anything is possible. Just because it seems unlikely that we'll get a 2D DB fighter now doesn't mean it won't happen. In 1997, did Final Fantasy fans think Sephiroth would be featured in a game with Winnie the Pooh someday? How many people played Darkstalkers and said, "You know what Morrigan oughta do? Play a prominent role in a mediocre-at-best sprite based RPG! And she should fight alongside Prinny!" Hell, how many Batman fans could have predicted that he would eventually battle Liu Kang?

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:24 pm

The bigger question is, "How many people though Batman would ever have a good game." :lol:
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Indeed. Even the Mario and Sonic crossovers had fans going :shock: .

So, yes, anything's possible. Perhaps, down the line, there'll be a DB 2D fighter that's almost as good as the traditional fighting games. Or there'll be a DB crossover fighting game with Capcom at the helm.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

gotenx
Beyond Newbie

Post by gotenx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Super DBZ was enough for me. In the end, the only reason why I'm such a big fan of Dimps' DBZ fighters is because of how different it is compared to the Street Fighter franchise.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am

I said this in another thread but i'll put it here too. I'd love a new 2D (well 2.5D) game. BUT not like Marvel vs Capcom. I'd want it more like the current Mortal Kombat. Marvel vs Capcom 3 was disappointing to me, but MK had a great story mode and just a lot of replay content. Here is how I was thinking.

Graphics : I'd use Burst Limit style models. Same style for cut-scenes too and story mode.

Story mode : I'd actually want this more like "The Subspace Emissary" in SSBB. Using your attacks like you normally do but in a 2.5D side scrolling adventure with big cut-scenes. The only reason is it'd be different.

Another advantage to "The Subspace Emissary" style, It allowed co-op. With choice of who to be. It was just a blast to replay with friends. In fact i still replay it with friends. Plus it'd make sense for dragon ball more that other fighters, because it combines fighting with adventure.

Characters : I'd be happy with either a) Budokai's roster or b) Infinite World's roster. Seen here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budokai_3# ... characters No need for too many to be honest.

Extra modes : I'd love :
Something like Mortal Kombat's challenge tower
Some sort of Arcade ladder in order of main fights in series. (with each character getting an "ending")
"Capsule Corporation" - Like the Krypt in mortal Kombat. Buy different Capsules to unlock real alternate costumes (no colour swaps!) , Art work , music , videos and more.

Gameplay :
I'd add finishing moves. Like Fatalities, do a combo after your win to finish your foe. Like Goku destroys every part of them with Spirit bomb, Krillin cuts them in half with Destructo Disc, Majin Buu could turn them into chocolate and eat them , Dabura could spit at them turning them to stone then shattering it.

I'd put an option in the game for blood on/off. Yes it'd need a higher age rating but Dragon Ball had blood, Not saying over the top blood. But the Destructo Disc finisher would have some blood when they are sliced in half ect....

DLC
I'd use DLC for actual characters. Example keep GT off the game, off the disc. Work on it and bring it out as big expansion pack. The pack would include :

GT levels in Story mode
GT Challenges
GT Characters
GT maps/stages
GT extras for Capsule Corporation.

Similar packs I'd bring out (same content but based on each thing):

Movie pack 1
Movie pack 2
Dragon ball pack
What if Pack.

Each pack would NOT be just rushed DLC, it'd be real stuff they worked on after the game was released and spread out over 2 or 3 years to keep game fresh till sequel. was out.

Story mode been co-op makes it perfect for online.
A tournament
Vs Mode
Capture the Dragon Ball. - Team tournament of 3 vs 3 , 5 vs 5, 7 vs 7 in one on one matches. Each winner gets a ball. Team with most balls wins. If your team wins completely in 7 vs 7 it summons the dragon and everyone on teams gets a trophy/achievement point and a sticker on your in game profiles.
Good vs Evil - team battles with one team been good guys only , one team been bad guys only.

Personally that would be a game i'd buy day 1 and never trade-in.

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Thu May 12, 2011 11:48 am

I would like one but I've not been dreaming of it. When it comes to Dragonball I actually prefer Spike's simulator engine.
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Thu May 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Having played probably 75-80% of the DB/Z/GT video games out there, including Japan-only ones, I can actually say that there are 2 incredible 2D DBZ fighters in my opinion. The first is DBZ Hyper Dimension on the Super Famicom, which is fully playable on a small SNES with a quick, free, and easy modification to the physical hardware itself. This game and Chrono Trigger are my 2 favorite SNES games actually. Hyper Dimension plays like Street Fighter II. Its story mode starts with Piccolo vs. Freeza, then proceeds to SSJ Goku vs. Freeza, a couple of Cell-era fights, and then the Buu storyline. The controls are tight, the gameplay is fun, and for my money, it's the ideal 2D DBZ game.

Hyper Dimension's drawbacks stem from its relative lack of characters and character models (they could have done a pallet-swap for Vegeta to get a Saiyan Saga fight in there at the beginning; Piccolo vs. Freeza is a weird place to begin), its lack of maps, and its lack of an international release. But at trade shows and online, you can score a copy for about $25 or less, and it's totally worth it. Additionally, it's a one-sided experience stylistically. The characters generally can't fly in the traditional sense. You can kick your opponent into the air, but it's ridiculously hard to pull off combos up there sometimes, and overall, you're better off staying with your feet on the ground.

The other good 2D DBZ fighter is Supersonic Warriors (2 was good, but I didn't play it enough to really make a call on it). I remember working at GameStop when that game came out in June of 2004, and after work one night, the guy I was working with and I grabbed 2 used copies of it, 2 used GBAs, and a link cable, and we had ourselves a little battle. We both agreed that it was the closest you could get to really feel like you're playing the show, even moreso than the 3D games. The game is fast, its controls are tight, and it is just plain fun. Plus, it had the crazy story mode dripping with "What If" fights.

Supersonic Warriors' downsides are similar to Hyper Dimension. Slim character selection, one-sided gameplay (no standing on the ground, just like Hyper Dimension's relative lack of flying), and doesn't provide as thorough an experience as some of the other games out there.

While I thus agree that the perfect or ideal 2D fighter isn't out there, these two games are really good and definitely warrant a look.

NECPS
Beyond Newbie

Post by NECPS » Thu May 19, 2011 9:24 pm

Actually the Narutimate Ninja Storm style engine would fit quite good
plus flying element. No need for going old style again.
Its up from Shin budokai ahead.

But Sparking loses SO FAR for the naruto game,
and I am not even into naruto thing. Just the game is too great, and
giant beast fights is SO MUCH real !!

Narutimate have a camera that is WAY better than Sparking because it
fixes in the CENTER of both fighters (like 2D fighting) while Sparking
keeps it in the tranks of enemy, so this cause the camera to move up
and down, left and right and this just DON´T HAPPEN in the anime !!

Gameplay is not perfect but when you are doing a special, it feels so.
Spike just can´t make a good game even if the models are great.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri May 20, 2011 12:07 pm

Capcom's Marvel fighting games better represent the over the top craziness of Dragonball better than Mortal Kombat. (Also, have you noticed how all of the praise that Mortal Kombat has been recieving is based on everything but the actual fighting system? What's there ro do once you unlocked all of those photos of the development team and concept art? People will still be playing Marvel vs Capcom 3 ten years from now, while Mortal Kombat will be forgetten in ten weeks.)

You could easily swap Ryu out with Goku. Blue Shinkuu Hadou-ken is a Kamehameha. Shin-shoryu-ken is easily a Ryu-Ken. Goku used a spinning kick attack against Cell which could totally be the Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku. That's one down.

The Sparking/Raging Blast series is fun but there are probably more Dragonball fans who want a more traditional fighting experience.

Eddie
Advanced Regular

Post by Eddie » Fri May 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:The Sparking/Raging Blast series is fun but there are probably more Dragonball fans who want a more traditional fighting experience.
If that were true Super DBZ probably would have been a bigger success.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat May 21, 2011 2:23 am

Eddie wrote:
Anonymous Friend wrote:The Sparking/Raging Blast series is fun but there are probably more Dragonball fans who want a more traditional fighting experience.
I think the problem there was that by that time people were used to having 60 characters in each game. And it came out between in the spring between Sparking and Sparking Neo.

I always wished that they would convert the Sparking engine to have multiple enemies at once and make it an adevnture beat 'em up style game.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed May 25, 2011 11:02 pm

Eddie wrote:
Yeah, we all know what happens when you try to add variety to the characters so that each one is a different experience within the same game.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Reality is that Atari lost the rights and as a result Dimps won't be touching the DBZ franchise due to legal reasons. I don't know why people have their hopes for something thats not coming, its why there was no BL2, Atari lost the rights and unless Atari and Namco agree to something, Spike won't be getting Dimps DBZ game codes/engines either.

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Thu May 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Saimaroimaru wrote:Reality is that Atari lost the rights and as a result Dimps won't be touching the DBZ franchise due to legal reasons. I don't know why people have their hopes for something thats not coming, its why there was no BL2, Atari lost the rights and unless Atari and Namco agree to something, Spike won't be getting Dimps DBZ game codes/engines either.
I wouldn't assume that, Atari only had the rights in North America. My Japanese versions of the games say 'Bandai' and all the European games say Bandai. I realise you may be American and as such haven't realised but Atari were never a part of the production or commission of the games, that was all (Namco) Bandai Japan.
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Fri May 27, 2011 3:22 am

Jaruka wrote:
Saimaroimaru wrote:Reality is that Atari lost the rights and as a result Dimps won't be touching the DBZ franchise due to legal reasons. I don't know why people have their hopes for something thats not coming, its why there was no BL2, Atari lost the rights and unless Atari and Namco agree to something, Spike won't be getting Dimps DBZ game codes/engines either.
I wouldn't assume that, Atari only had the rights in North America. My Japanese versions of the games say 'Bandai' and all the European games say Bandai. I realise you may be American and as such haven't realised but Atari were never a part of the production or commission of the games, that was all (Namco) Bandai Japan.
That is what I mean, they lost the rights to America. Namco can not use their engine, character models and so on of any Dimps game. They only have access to its characters since those belong to Toei which is why people like SSJ3 Broly can be on a Spike game despite Dimps making him first and Teincha a possibility. While Atari had the rights, they leased such things to Namco well, technically Dimps and Namco would work it out but with Dimps boss out of the fray, its too much of a legal hassle at this point. Unless something is worked out, entertaining a BL2 is a fools errand at this point.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 27, 2011 9:09 am

Err... no, you are not understanding the relationship properly.

Dimps can, and still actively does, work with the franchise. They're still doing all the Carddass games in Japan, including Dragon Ball Heroes (or at least were still doing so as of the Bakuretsu Impact games). This is, of course, all under the banner of Namco-Bandai, who is the top license holder for merchandise for the franchise.

Atari had nothing to do with who the developer of the game(s) was/were, outside of the American-only-creations (Legacy of Goku, Taiketsu, etc.), all of which themselves were sub-licensed out to an actual developer (such as Webfoot), with Infogrames/Atari acting as the distributor.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::