Which game is the best 3D take on the Dragonball cast?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Which game is the best 3D take on the Dragonball cast?

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Inspired to ask this after watching Ultimate Tenkaichi videos and coming to the conclusion that the game's character models are more stylized than their source material. Not a good move.

I think Tenkaichi 2 and 3 were about as far as the character models should go; they look like they were drawn and aren't too colorful unless the character requires it. This as opposed to the Budokai models, which generally look good but have some issues such as blatantly blurred sections (muscles, namely), and seem to lack Spike's detail. Raging Blast 2- ironically another Spike game- seems like the best way to take the characters into shiny HD, simply because of how dark and defined they are.

What opinions do we have around here?
JacobYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Which game is the best 3D take on the Dragonball cast?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:42 pm

The Budokai models, and every version of them (1, 2, 3, Shin 1/2, Infinite World, Burst Limit, Heroes, etc.) all look squished to me. Never liked them, but the colors and stuff are always pretty nice.

----------

The Tenkaichi models are way, way too blocky, which looks horrible. Though, like above, the colors were always pretty good IMO.

----------

Raging Blast brought about my favorite models, and I like the colors, but I wish it was more cel shaded like the anime, since that was the vibe they were trying to give off...they just failed.

Raging Blast 2 has the same models, but makes them too dark and shiny, like clay and plastic. Meh.

Zenkai Battle Royal also uses the same models, but tries a more realistic approach that I think look pretty good for the most part. My only complaint is that the hair looks a little like plastic, and the face looks a little odd in the style (mainly the eyes and mouth). It really works for characters like Freeza and Cell though.

Ultimate Tenkaichi/Blast uses the same models as well, but goes with different colors and style to the characters. This is probably my favorite set of models overall though, because its one of the only games to have the characters represented decently where they aren't blocky or squished, and then also have them colored in a similar style to one of the source materials. It's kinda nice to feel like I'm playing with kanzenban characters...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:42 pm

I have to say I really like the way the Goku and Vegeta look like in the first Dragon Ball Online opening. Next to that it is the Ultimate Tenkaichi. Like the above user said, it does remind me of the Kanzenban art a lot.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Makaioshin wrote:I have to say I really like the way the Goku and Vegeta look like in the first Dragon Ball Online opening. Next to that it is the Ultimate Tenkaichi. Like the above user said, it does remind me of the Kanzenban art a lot.
You know, I forgot about the DBO models for the DB and Z characters. They might actually be the most accurate, and possibly my second favorite now that I remember them. Most of the characters look really good, but some look a little odd. (Like Raditz.)
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Vegeta Jr
Regular

Post by Vegeta Jr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:28 am

Burst Limit easily.

Tenkaichi had blocky models and the faces all matched the end of Z but when playing as the earlier cast it just looks jarring. Raging Blast also shares this problem.

Biggest one is Vegeta, he looks way too old in his Scouter gear.

Honourable mention goes to Super DBZ.

MCDaveG
I Live Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:46 am

I really enjoyed Revenge of King Piccolo in terms of design and then, I like Raging Blast 2. Damn, how th characters are dark and somewhat metallic, I really love how Hatchihyaku looks with those shining blue patches.
''Gotta catch 'em all! Dragon Baaaaall!''

mysticboy
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:30 pm

It's a toss up between RB1 and UT.

Thanos
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanos before Thanos was cool.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:22 pm

You just posted four screen-shots, and one of them is 2D artwork -- I have no idea what you mean.

Please add some context to your post. What are you saying? Is one of them your favorite? Are they all your favorite? There's no way to tell.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You just posted four screen-shots, and one of them is 2D artwork -- I have no idea what you mean.

Please add some context to your post. What are you saying? Is one of them your favorite? Are they all your favorite? There's no way to tell.
He is posting a drawn Vegeta and comparing it to 3 different graphical interpretations of him. Tenkaichi, Budokai, and Burst Limit and then list us decide which is the best comparison of the three to the first picture. Which is Burst Limit in my opinion.

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:37 am

I think it's hard to argue with Burst Limit based purely on style and looking cool.

However, I personally have to go with the Ultimate Butouden art style for my favorite, though it definitely wouldn't work for a non-DS game.
Hey, I entirely forgot I had an account here. AGAIN.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanos wrote: Image
It's interesting to see that the Budokai model defines some aspects of Vegeta's face while seem a tad slushy in others. I might have overestimated the "ripped-from-the-manga" feel I got from the Tenkaichi models.
JacobYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:46 pm

I think the Tenkaichi models represent the series the best. I mean just look at the Budokai screenshot above, Vegeta's face looks deformed to me. I can't tell why but something does not look right there.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

SSJmole
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by SSJmole » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:38 pm

My favourites were Burst Limit. I'm sorry but interns of transforming the subject to the media type it worked best. Let me explain. It was bringing the characters from the 90's and in to HD. They looked like they would if drawn today. They looked fantastic.

Raging blast suffers from looking like Tenkaichi and doing nothing new. Budkoia 1 to 3 did the 3d thing first (with 3 mastering it) Raging blast looks too close to Tenkaichi to be truly current gen IMO.

Burst limit just works. as the best 3D take IMO is the one that suits a game the most and burst limit does just that. The models look great and new.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:49 pm

The Super Dragon Ball Z models looked mighty fine.

Savage68
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Savage68 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Sparking Neo and Meteor, I guess. The rest, from Budokai to Burst Limit and in-between all had some major discrepancies in regards to the characters' anime models. God, people like Vegeta were just always awkward-looking.

MCDaveG
I Live Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:32 am

If not considering the colors, I like most the Sparking models and Raging Blast ones respectively.
Yeah, I said that already.
I think that Budokai models are way off and in the first game were a lot better then in Budokai 2 onward.....
''Gotta catch 'em all! Dragon Baaaaall!''

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Burst Limit looks too soft and bloomy for my taste.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:15 pm

The only ones I really liked are Super Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball online. They look the most accurate.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Thanos
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:11 am

VegettoEX wrote:You just posted four screen-shots, and one of them is 2D artwork -- I have no idea what you mean.

Sorry.

As Saimaroimaru said, it was a drawing of Vegeta, comparing him to the video game interpretations. However, my intent was to keep it objective without putting any of my own bias.

But, since you've asked, I would say the Sparking! METEOR version of Vegeta is my favourite video game interpretation... it's the first game where I actually felt like I was controlling Vegeta, if that makes any sense. In the Raging Blast titles, his face is just... wrong. I can't put my finger on it, but his model looks like it was done by an amateur fan.

His hair stops too high on his head (in other words, it should go past his ears... but it doesn't). He looks even worse in-game. His face is too flat and it's just shaped all wrong. I definitely felt like I was controlling an interpretation of Vegeta as opposed to the character himself. I know it's all very nit-picky, but alas... being a Dragon Ball fan tends to do that to you.

But... will the Sparking! characters remain the best in terms of accuracy...?

*A Challenger Appears!*

Thanos before Thanos was cool.