Where to Now For the Dragon Ball Video Game Franchise?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Where to Now For the Dragon Ball Video Game Franchise?

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:11 am

What do you want to see in the coming years in terms of Dragon Ball gaming? Do you feel the franchise has run its course and should end? Do you want more attention to be paid to the hand held market? Do you want a larger roster than Sparking METEOR? Do you want a game that doesn't have anything to do with fighting?

For me I'd really like to have a Dragon Ball game that is fun. This is what I feel has been lacking in recent years. In my opinion there hasn't been a game since METEOR or even Budokai 3 where I could sit down for hours at a time and keep playing the game. I feel Budokai 3 had just the right amount of difficulty, where you could a lose a good couple of times, but keep playing, unlike in the Raging Blast series where I want to throw my controller at the screen when things aren't going my way (it's probably because I suck, but hey, I'm a casual gamer). Next year I'd like to see a port of Zenkai Battle Royale and maybe Burst Limit 2, but apart from that I'd like the games to take a break for a couple of years.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Where to Now For the Dragon Ball Video Game Franchise?

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:For me I'd really like to have a Dragon Ball game that is fun.
I think we all do.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:41 pm

I think it should end unless they start acting like pros.
DBZ franchise is not going anywhere if all the focus is always in a single race and the others characters are treated as clowns.

The most recent example of this policy is the create your Saiyajin character mode.
DB online took a good step, when they decided to create 2 different Namek clans where
both have different physical atributes.

These new clans look awesome,however i think they've failed in the development of the Human race,Saiyajin race,Freeza race and Majin Race or maybe Kaioshin and Bojack race.

Humans are still clowns unless they use Ssj transformation(terrible idea),when they should be using at least advanced cybernetic elements(gravity and Kaiô training) to get relevant and more powerful.

There are no pure Saiyajins in DBOnline which is crazy.
It would be fun to see Goku school vs Vegeta school
or traditional saiyajin evil spirit(Vegeta old style) vs a more human Saiyajin(Goku style).

Majin race is just Majin Buu and a female Majin Buu whose highest level is Kid Buu.
I think maybe another,a more powerful form would be welcomed.
It would be better to see Majuub having children and creating a different breed of Majin warriors.

Freeza race should be very important,these guys are insanely powerful and with proper training they should be able to compete with SSJ forms or Majin Buu easily,maybe adding new forms to each one of them.

Kaioshins are great,Mystical and powerful,it would be fun if they could unlock some new secret power or form and old training methods.

Today,we are living in a era where variety is fundamental.
Naruto,One Piece or Bleach offer tons of different characters.DBZ mostly offers only Saiyajins.
In the new Hatchiyack special we have saiyajins and Piccolo,but that's not enough.

About the gameplay this franchise has two valid options:
Budokai or Burst limit gameplay or BT3 gameplay and add more(a lot) content in each game like the others are doing.
Both had great success,but personally i prefer BT3,unfortunately, Spike decided to change the gameplay for worse in every RB game.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Mini-game collection or Kart racer.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Dragon Ball Mario Party.
If they want to make fighting games, I'm all for it...but they can't keep pushing out crappy ones.

EDIT: Also, Hyper Dimension.
Last edited by Rukura on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Home console versions of Dragon Ball Heroes, Zenkai Battle Royale and Dragon Ball Online.

For Heroes, cards can be created into DLC
Zenaki Battle Royale can add more characters
Dragon Ball Online would just be improved graphics sorta-kinda.

What do they all have in common? For once Online would be fair.
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

SSJ3_Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Gogeta » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 pm

I think that Dragon Ball Heroes should be ported onto home consoles. A different kind of fighting game wouldn't be bad either.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Titan wrote:There are no pure Saiyajins in DBOnline which is crazy.
or traditional saiyajin evil spirit(Vegeta old style) vs a more human Saiyajin(Goku style).

Majin race is just Majin Buu and a female Majin Buu whose highest level is Kid Buu.
It would be better to see Majuub having children and creating a different breed of Majin warriors.
These two...

Why should DBO have pure blooded Saiyans? The last two died in a battle against each other around 200 years before the game takes place. In order to have them as a viable race, you'd have to go back in time and basically abduct the entire race from a different timeline and bring them into the future. They made the right choice, as "Saiyans" shouldn't exist anymore after Goku and Vegeta die in any version of the timelines, not just DBO.

"Majuub" doesn't exist from a DBO standpoint, as GT never happened in their timeline. And even if he did, he never displays Majin traits after merging with Buu, other than the Henka Beam. He'd just be a super human, which is basically the same as the Earthling class in DBO, though without SS. Personally, I think DBO's version of the Majins are infinitely more interesting than anything Uub would spawn with another Earthling. It isn't about the power, tis about the craziness, which can't reall be explored in a game.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:45 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Titan wrote:There are no pure Saiyajins in DBOnline which is crazy.

These two...

Why should DBO have pure blooded Saiyans? The last two died in a battle against each other around 200 years before the game takes place. In order to have them as a viable race, you'd have to go back in time and basically abduct the entire race from a different timeline and bring them into the future. They made the right choice, as "Saiyans" shouldn't exist anymore after Goku and Vegeta die in any version of the timelines, not just DBO.
You seem to ignore the fact that this is a fictional story.

If you can bring Tarble,Turles,etc,
you can also bring some Saiyajins that somehow were out of the radar in another planet and repopulated that planet with pure Saiyajins.

"Majuub" doesn't exist from a DBO standpoint, as GT never happened in their timeline. And even if he did, he never displays Majin traits after merging with Buu, other than the Henka Beam. He'd just be a super human, which is basically the same as the Earthling class in DBO, though without SS.
Yes,Majuub doesn't exist,but, realistically, he could happen considering that Uub was the Kid Buu reincarnation who possessed his fighting potential.

As you know Kid Buu fighting potential is above SSJ2,so it is wrong to call him just a super human.

And as you said,Majuub displayed Henka Beam,logically,there is no reason to believe that he couldn't display the remaining Majin traits except bad writing.

Personally, I think DBO's version of the Majins are infinitely more interesting than anything Uub would spawn with another Earthling. It isn't about the power, tis about the craziness, which can't reall be explored in a game
That's a matter of opinion.I see nothing new or interesting in the old Majin fat Buu whose final level is Kid Buu.

On the other hand,Uub could absorb Fat Buu like Piccolo did with Kami and create another Majin Breed by himself or across a process of hybridization with humans produce who knows something more powerful like half Majins.

Let's not forget that half saiyajins like Gohan or Trunks had more fighting potential than regular pure saiyajins.
Take note that before all this, Fat Buu still could create the Majin female and even a clone of himself which means his presence still would be reality.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:11 pm

A few things I'd like to see:

-A hand-to-hand fighting game about DragonBall (as in not Z or GT). Something grounded a bit more in reality with emphasis on martial arts rather than flying around, shooting energy blasts, and doing generic smash attacks.

-Action/adventure or beat-em-ups about DragonBall or GT. I know they had some on handhelds, but I'd like to see them in 3D and on a more powerful system that can take more advantage of the possibilities. I always loved the adventure and the more varied environments of those two series compared to Z, but they rarely get explored because of all the pure Z fighting games.

-Open-world action game with Bardock, playing as him and his crew on different planets doing missions and stuff. Open-world, like Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction where you only play as the characters. I don't mean get into vehicles and stuff. Just a really powerful character with a lot of mobility, lots of object and environment interaction and destruction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2baCQB8zfw

-A bullet-hell shooter like Castle Shikigami which has multiple playable characters with different attacks. Or a versus bullet-hell-like shooter like Acceleration of Suguri.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTr_KMjJHMs

-"Ginyu Force presents Dance Dance Revolution".

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm hoping for an Attack of the Saiyans style RPG for consoles in the near future.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 am

Leotaku wrote:-A hand-to-hand fighting game about DragonBall (as in not Z or GT). Something grounded a bit more in reality with emphasis on martial arts rather than flying around, shooting energy blasts, and doing generic smash attacks.
Yes. IMO, the Budokai system would work perfectly with DragonBall. Just make it deeper and add more traditional fighting aspects such as crouching, jumping, wake up attacks etc..

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:03 am

Let them have 3 years or something to develop a game covering all of db z gt with a wonderful story line being full of adventure elements and not have fighting as the major things, but rather filled with mini games -- finding the stone Kamesennin throws away, training running around with milk, etc etc etc. There could be endless of mini games, and the fighting could be something added into the adventure mode as a natural part of the story progressing.
Last edited by sangofe on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 am

In turns of an adventure DBZ game, I'd love for it to have the adventurous feel of Ocarina of Time, the combo depth of Devil May Cry and the obsurdity of God Hand.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

DonieZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DonieZ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:26 am

I really would want them to at least once deliver us a good enough fighter in a 3D perspective.Sure, 2D would probably suit DB better, but I'd be overwhelmed if they could at least once make a great in 3D. The over-shoulder perspective you see grants more possibilities. However Spike's lack of fighting game experience seems to keep them at a disadvantage.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Titan wrote:Yes,Majuub doesn't exist,but, realistically, he could happen considering that Uub was the Kid Buu reincarnation who possessed his fighting potential.
But he doesn't exist. So....
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:53 am

I personally want Dimps back with another Budokai game since IW was just a Budokai 3.5 which came out four years later and by then, people move on to the 360 and PS3 making it feel pointless. I would love a crossover game since I think fans would pay good money on a DBvsDC game but it looks like DC is not very popular in Japan and I doubt the main fandom in Japan would buy a crossover game.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:32 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:In turns of an adventure DBZ game, I'd love for it to have the adventurous feel of Ocarina of Time, the combo depth of Devil May Cry and the obsurdity of God Hand.
I think a dragonball game as in dragon ball before he Z era would work. You basically play as Goku through his entire db adventure right before Z.

Also, I think devs need to take liberties with the series like take a concept like Vegeta's childhood all the way up to before his arrival on earth and make a full fledge game on it.

Titan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Titan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 pm

AgitoZ wrote:
Titan wrote:Yes,Majuub doesn't exist,but, realistically, he could happen considering that Uub was the Kid Buu reincarnation who possessed his fighting potential.
The new Namek clans never existed too.So... .

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Titan wrote:
AgitoZ wrote:
The new Namek clans never existed too.So... .
Why does it matter if something existed or not? Its a work of fiction. Lets not turn this thread into a battle of what existed and what did not.