The Lack Of Online For Budokai HD Collection

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

The Lack Of Online For Budokai HD Collection

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Anyone know any reasons as to why the HD collection for parts 1 and 3 doesn't have online capability? I mean, sure, Raging Blast 2 and Ultimate Tenkaichi have online, if I remember correctly, but those games were less than stellar. Most people, I think, would say that Budokai 3 was the pinnacle.

What I'm getting at is that if they implemented it, droves of us who haven't bought it yet would run and buy a copy so we could kick each-other's butts, no? These are different times and not everyone enjoys playing against the a.i. anymore. Those days are simply long-gone for a lot of people because it's all about the online. With that integration, it keeps the spirit of the game and series alive, it keeps us coming back. Infinite replayability, basically.

You look at games like Mortal Kombat 9 (2011), Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, Call Of Duty Black Ops 2, Halo 4, etc., people are playing those titles religously (me included) because of online competition. What with all the news happening for the series lately, surely it couldn't have hurt, right?

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Re: The Lack Of Online For Budokai HD Collection

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Raging Blast 2 is great....
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:52 pm

The original games didn't have online play to them. I never seen any HD collections that had online play them. Not even the HD version of MGS3 had online.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:The original games didn't have online play to them. I never seen any HD collections that had online play them. Not even the HD version of MGS3 had online.
Older Capcom fighters had online mode when they were ported to current gen consoles if I'm not mistaken.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Raging Blast 2 is great....
Subjective.

After finishing the Galaxy Mode I couldn't find anything fun to do on it, and the online mode has quitters, non-stop button mashers and repetitive fighting, but it's what Raging Blast (and thus far, Tenkaichi) is. Unfortunately.

I'm not buying Budokai HD due to its price, music and no online gameplay.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:39 am

???

He gave you no reason to say that....or am I missing something? :think:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:13 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
???

In the opening line of the original post, he says that Ultimate Blast and Raging Blast 2 were "less than stellar".
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Well, yeah, I did. It was in my opinion that I feel that way, though. You're perfectly entitled to think otherwise. It's just that, within the realm of pure fighting and not simulation, the HD collection would've benefited greatly with online capability. I would even say that maybe Infinite World has as much of a cult following as Budokai 3, and perhaps they could've added some stuff from that game into HD.

You'd figure that with all the time they had to make the HD collection (what, with music changes and what-not), they'd have the time to make tweaks for online battles.

I say this because I guess I miss the days of old when the series was at its peak in the PS2 era. For these developers to not take a chance and go all-out seems like a bit of a travesty. You probably have guys here who bought it and enjoyed what it had to offer, but it's possible that they'll stop playing at some point due to the dullness of fighting nothing but the a.i. You could bring some friends over, sure, but they're not gonna be able to show up all the time, let alone possibly be even good at the game at all.

My personal, favorite fighting franchise is Mortal Kombat. The latest game came out two years and this will be yet another consecutive year in which it'll be at EVO. Me, I'm just glad that I can go online at anytime, more or less, and fight randoms. If I win, great, if I lose, maybe I'll beat the next guy. The point is that the series is still going strong not only because of the care that was taken into creating that title, but also because of said integration. That's all I want for Dragon Ball.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:50 pm

Insertclevername wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:The original games didn't have online play to them. I never seen any HD collections that had online play them. Not even the HD version of MGS3 had online.
Older Capcom fighters had online mode when they were ported to current gen consoles if I'm not mistaken.
Those are not HD collection games. Those games are release through PSN and XBLA.
She/Her

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 pm

The point is, if Namco Bandai had wanted to include Multiplayer Mode they would have.

The Simpsons: Arcade Game
Marvel Vs. Capcom: Origins
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Sonic the Fighters
Virtua Fighter
Fighting Vipers

None of these games (iirc) had an online mode before, and for this newer release Konami/Sega/Capcom were wise to feature it because they knew it'd make the games' lifespan last longer, not to mention mostly all gamers nowadays play online than offline.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:31 pm

I don't think there's any excuse as to why the HD collection doesn't have online (other laziness or not enough money). They knew they were going to piss people off when they had to change, and they knew people were wanting these remade with online play from jump street. Online would've compensated for the change in music, and made a purchase (towards people who still own B1 and B3) more justifiable.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm not surprise by the lack of online. If other HD collections like MGS HD collection didn't have online then what makes you think the Budokai HD collection will?
She/Her

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:15 pm

MGS is more of a single player stealth game, so skipping online for it is acceptable, however, for a fighting game in this day and age, they really must've included it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm not surprise by the lack of online. If other HD collections like MGS HD collection didn't have online then what makes you think the Budokai HD collection will?
Peace Walker HD still has online. Besides, most HD collections have been from single player games, so online play isn't a necessity.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:58 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
???

He claimed they were less than stellar. I really enjoy both Raging Blast titles. RB2 and B3 are my favorite DBZ games.
dbboxkaifan wrote:
Subjective.

After finishing the Galaxy Mode I couldn't find anything fun to do on it, and the online mode has quitters, non-stop button mashers and repetitive fighting, but it's what Raging Blast (and thus far, Tenkaichi) is. Unfortunately.

I'm not buying Budokai HD due to its price, music and no online gameplay.
Raging Blast 2 has fairly decent online play at this point. Less spamming and quitting going on.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 am

They didn't add an online feature because the reward would not be worth the work put into it. Developers would have to go in and build the mode from the ground up. On top of that they would need to provide dedicated servers for the players. Unlike, say Capcom's Street Fighter series, the Dragonball games don't exactly have thriving online communities so that amount of money and work would not be worth it for a quick HD collection. Not to mention most of Capcom's HD collection games(the fighting ones anyway) have been 2D download only games which saves them a lot of money in development costs, thus making the online feature more feasible. These collections are supposed to be a cheap and easy way for developers and publishers to gauge public intrest or reignite a franchise. Ideally that money earned could go into the bigger better project usually follows. Less money put in=more money back.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:06 am

Dedicated servers? Most games use P2P connections (users connection) than actual servers which is why there might be some lag sometimes.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 pm

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:They didn't add an online feature because the reward would not be worth the work put into it. Developers would have to go in and build the mode from the ground up. On top of that they would need to provide dedicated servers for the players. Unlike, say Capcom's Street Fighter series, the Dragonball games don't exactly have thriving online communities so that amount of money and work would not be worth it for a quick HD collection. Not to mention most of Capcom's HD collection games(the fighting ones anyway) have been 2D download only games which saves them a lot of money in development costs, thus making the online feature more feasible. These collections are supposed to be a cheap and easy way for developers and publishers to gauge public intrest or reignite a franchise. Ideally that money earned could go into the bigger better project usually follows. Less money put in=more money back.
Wouldn't it make sense to reignite interest to its max, though? I could be wrong on this, but if they didn't need to rush HD out the door, why not add it?

Burst Limit still has its online, as far as I know, but the thing with that game is the lack off Buu's saga and recycled animation between opponents, regardless of where you're at in the story mode.

The Raging Blast games, while adored by many here and elsewhere, are simply too repetitive (combat-wise) and considered a joke by the hardcores to be taken seriously. I say this not to be a smart-ass, but to put it out there so guys here can understand.

You have Project Vs. J, but no-one knows how that thing's gonna turn out. It hits store shelves, but then bombs like Ultimate Tenkaichi did, get panned, and not sell squat. Hence, if online was added to Budokai HD, the competition of fighting others as your favorite characters from your favorite anime series would've sufficed, no?

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:00 am

Online wouldn't work for this game. Having recently purchased the game I noticed a lot of balance issues. If Omega Shenron can get the lead on base Goku there is pretty much no come back. Omega Shenrons damage output is much higher than base Goku's and a strategic player would keep Goku's ki down so he couldn't go SSJ4. Characters like Omega Shenron would be the dominate character in online play and people would quickly walk away from online because of it. There would have to be a way to balance the characters for online play to work, which I wouldn't be against.
Youtube channel:
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Ultimate_DB_Fan wrote: Wouldn't it make sense to reignite interest to its max, though? I could be wrong on this, but if they didn't need to rush HD out the door, why not add it?
I'm sure if the developers had a larger budget, they would consider doing it. It's not like they sit around the office going, "how can we piss off our fans?" However as far as money is concerned, no it doesn't make sense. As I said before, the amount of resources going into making an online mode probably wasn't worth the profit outcome. Meaning even if they went ahead and did it, they'd probably see the same outcome in sales numbers. I'm sure they sat down and talked about all of this at one point and came to the same conclusion on their own. But let me ask you something, would you rather them pour more funding and resources towards an online mode for this HD collection? Or would you rather them put those same resources towards a newer game in the future?

It was my understanding that this collection was done so that they could have more time to develop a new game while still meeting Shueisha's one year quota. Granted that's just my understanding of a rumor...or wishful thinking. However, wouldn't it be the better option if it were the case?
dbboxkaifan wrote:Dedicated servers? Most games use P2P connections (users connection) than actual servers which is why there might be some lag sometimes.
Your missing my point. It doesn't matter if they are dedicated servers(although that would be even more costly), P2P serviers or client serviers. I might have misspoken but the point is you would still need developers to construct the code and well...make everything work. We're talking thousands of lines of code and a team to put it all together. That's money that Namco-Bandai doesn't have or want to spend on the game. A game, mind you, that is already built.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?