"DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Re: Bandai planning to "conquer the world"?

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Insertclevername wrote:^ The thought of Super Butoden without it's precious soundtrack actually sickens me. :(
Oh, right, it was Yamamoto who did those, huh?
So yeah, if they made a Super Butoden collection, the music would not be preserved, which would impact negatively the nostalgia of most fans playing the game.
I wouldn't mind if there was a good replacement score though, since I have my Super Butoden 2 CD sitting peacefully in my room, so... Plus, we would probably have the ability to play our own music as always, including the Super Butoden CD tracks! 8)

But just imagine the orchestra pieces of the Super Butoden 2 soundtrack playing on an HD "anime-style graphics" and correctly translated story mode with various paths... That would have been interesting for a low price. :wink:

But since the new game will probably be ready for the end of the year, we don't need extra collections to keep us waiting, I guess. 8)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Those photos with people is this new Japanese trend, as J-students are doing Kamehameha-like photos with recoil like that.....
So you shouldn't search for anything particular in that.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Cold Skin wrote:As long as there's a story mode and they don't pull some mostly-automated, QTE-based gameplay like Ultimate Tenkaichi, it's not hard to make a good Dragon Ball game.
So if you consider all the time they had to make this one, it's all a good sign.

And if they want to buy some more time, they can always release the Super Butoden HD Collection (including Hyper Dimension too) similarly to Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix.
It would just have new sprites for the characters and landscapes being drawn by the anime staff, a correct translation, and we're good to go, every single fan would buy it just to have a 2D Dragon Ball game that looks exactly like taking the control of an episode (at the cost of a PSN/Xbox Market price like Street Fighter of course).
:clap: Someone give this man a raise please....

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 pm

As of right now all I can say is that I hope the developers, whoever they are, actually took advantage of this extra year and put it to good use. I'd like to have one good Dragonball game for my PS3. It's all I ask.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:09 pm

I wouldn't mind a UT2 with more characters (And SS2 Vegeta) and less QTE and/or a RB3. I'm not tired of the RB formula actually.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:The US DBZ video game page has 14,972 likes. I guess Europe does have a bigger fan base after all :lol: .
The US version only has 14,972 likes? Well, for a country that supposedly supports Dragon Ball so well that is rather really low.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:38 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:The US version only has 14,972 likes? Well, for a country that supposedly supports Dragon Ball so well that is rather really low.
To be fair, what's the point of liking something that isn't really doing jack shit for it's job? I much rather support the page that's actually interacting with the fans, supplying information, posting promotions, etc. ...but I can't access that one thanks to a region lock. :/
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 am

Europe Dragon Ball Games facebook also tends to have competitions from time to time, such as video games and consoles. Although, even if it were open for US residents the competitions would probably only be for people in EU countries.

For US there's Hotspot Shield free software which allows me to access US websites without any trouble, so for UK/Europe something of the likes must exist too.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:39 am

SparkyPantsMcGee wrote:As of right now all I can say is that I hope the developers, whoever they are, actually took advantage of this extra year and put it to good use. I'd like to have one good Dragonball game for my PS3. It's all I ask.
This!

Even though Raging Blast 1 and 2 have their 'pros', I'm amazed and dumbfounded about how the developers took some steps backwards when they've got access to more powerful consoles. By now we should have already gotten the "definitive" DBZ fighting game experience but no instead where hoping Spike or who ever it is thats going to be developing the next game doesn't fuck up.

Theres no doubt that if we see a game this year that it will be Spike related, imo this should be their last Hurrah, Dimps screwed up with Burst Limit but they redeemed themselves with Infinite World. Spike screwed up horribly with Ultimate Shitaichi and then sunk even lower with DBZ for Kinect. They've bought themselves a free year to work on a potentially good game, hopefully they can redeem themselves before their game engine is finally put to rest.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:46 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:Dimps screwed up with Burst Limit
How did they screw up?

Burst Limit is a beautiful game, with an excellent soundtrack and the gameplay is Budokai-fied.

Best of the 7th Gen: Burst Limit > Raging Blast 2 > Raging Blast 1 > Ultimate Blast

* Budokai HD & For Kinect don't count because they're not new games, more like add-ons (For Kinect) or an improvement (Budokai HD).
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:07 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
How did they screw up?

Burst Limit is a beautiful game, with an excellent soundtrack and the gameplay is Budokai-fied.

Best of the 7th Gen: Burst Limit > Raging Blast 2 > Raging Blast 1 > Ultimate Blast

* Budokai HD & For Kinect don't count because they're not new games, more like add-ons (For Kinect) or an improvement (Budokai HD).
And it sold the best.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:52 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
How did they screw up?
An absurd lack of content especially compared to Budokai 3, horrible voice syncing for the english voices, lazy ass cutscenes for the story mode, infinite Ki and Drama pieces. The first 3 things I mentioned are what most fans care about the most. Good or Updated graphics are a given no matter what so that doesn't really coount well not to me any way.
Snaku wrote:And it sold the best.
It only sold the best because it was the first current Gen DBZ game and because it was a "Budokai" styled game so it had hype off Budokai 3 and peoples expectations were through the roof. After it and the games that followed proved to be a let down in some ways or another thats when people expectations started to decline thus the games started selling less and less.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:02 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: horrible voice syncing for the english voices
That is actually a "fault" of the "newer" (or now recent, or even older) hardware allowing for more detailed lip flaps. In the PS2 generations, the lip flaps for many games were simple, and you could usually dub it without it looking too out of place, but with the newer generation allowing for better lip flaps, the dialogue is harder to match. This problem also applied to the Sly Cooper series here in Norway, as the PS2 games looked almost like they were made for the dub, while in the PS3 one, you can clearly see that it is a dub.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 pm

snaku wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
How did they screw up?

And it sold the best.
It also got the best reviews. It's pretty much the last DBZ game for now that got a good review from sites like Gamespot.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

songohan619
Patreon Supporter

Post by songohan619 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
snaku wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:
How did they screw up?

And it sold the best.
It also got the best reviews. It's pretty much the last DBZ game for now that got a good review from sites like Gamespot.
Actually, IGN liked Ultimate Tenkaichi... o.O
They gave it a better score then Raging Blast 2.

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:25 pm

Ultimate Tenkaichi got a 7.5 from IGN. Meh, reviews are usually just 1 persons opinion, I stick to sites like Metacritic. :P

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 pm

songohan619 wrote: Actually, IGN liked Ultimate Tenkaichi... o.O
They gave it a better score then Raging Blast 2.
Most of the reviews for UT was pretty poor. Burst Limit got decent reviews from other sites since it holds a 72 out of 100 on Meta Critic. Every game after that has been really hit or miss:

IW: 48/100
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2: 60/100
Tenkachi Tag Team: 63/100
Dragon Ball: Raging Blast: 57/100
UT: 55/100
DBZ for Kinect: 49/100
She/Her

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:19 pm

I loved Ultimate Tenkaichi a lot too, even tough the story mode could have been even more complete.
What most people didn't like about this game was the numerous automated scenes, which they felt didn't enhance the experience but took away most of the gameplay, as a "just push one button to decide your fate cause you can't move" thing.

I personnally didn't feel that way, for the Janken games, well you just had to think in advance of what to do in case the situation turns out like this or like that (mostly thinking about your gauges and the level of risk you were willing to take).
As Kame Sennin once said "sheer luck is also a part of a battle you have to accept", and I thought those "you were lucky, enjoy it" or "you were unlucky, do what it takes to make it out" situations were well represented by those moments.

As for the energy blasts, lots of people were also unhappy with the fact that it was automated and you had to face it. But just like the series and manga, an ultimate attack is supposed to be a potentially big turn of event and not something you can side-step and say "ha ha!". This was well represented in the Budokai games where the 2D gameplay and speed of the beam made you pay if you were not ready to quickly dodge, speed-teleport or guard, and supreme attacks had that high-tension, panic "contest gauges". But in the Budokai Tenkaichi games, I feel like this feeling was lost, I wasn't scared at all when the opponent would throw a big beam at me, I was happy because it was a 100% guarantee to dodge by just pushing the joystick left or right and have the opponent at your mercy. That's not right, the opponent preparing a big beam should have you say "Oh crap, this might turn bad for me!" if you had not anticipated it. It's supposed to be some deadly threat that you feel unavoidable doom for a split second before having a "Maybe I can get out of its way if I do this NOW!" micro-thought.

Ultimate Tenkaichi did restore that feeling of something that should not be taken lightly and that you should keep on your mind and prepare for at each moment of the fight or pay the highest price, but one disappointing thing was when you had no Ki left and no possibility offered: just standing their waiting for the deadly attack to crush your health bar doesn't feel right, not any better than being able to simply dodge by pushing the stick to the left or right and slowly moving to the side without panic.

I do understand how players could feel prisonner of that 50% automated gameplay - which was likely done to multiply impressive sequences worthy of the original material -, so I do hope that this time they'll find a good balance between what should be a show and what should be gameplay, avoiding to make it too much like a show like in Ultimate Tenkaichi where you spend 50% of the fight watching, and avoiding to make it too much gameplay like the Budokai Tenkaichi where the opponent throwing a Kame Hame Ha isn't even a big moment at all but just a formality, and even a mistake on his part (except when it's a direct continuation of a combo, only moment where you can really fear you won't be able to avoid it).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Ultimate Tenkaichi would have been so much better if it had a better combat system. I just hated smashing the same buttons over and over again.
She/Her

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:00 pm

The hate Infinite World gets is kind of ridiculous. :roll:
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.