"DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "DBZ: Battle of Z" (360/PS3/Vita) On-Going Discussion Th

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:05 am

Jord wrote:Is there any way to charge your Ki in this game?
No.
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

BobZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BobZ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:28 am

I believe you charge your Ki by punching your opponents. At least that charges up your normal ki blasts and mini specials.

Once the big power meter is charged at least half way, you can execute a super with circle and square.

That being said, I played through the demo. The single player is actually a bit fun, but online is a mess. I tried a free for all battle (I think) and got bored in less than 5 minutes - it's super chaotic and repetative.

I do enjoy the graphics, however. I'm glad characters can finally talk more naturally and not just yap their mouths without proper lip sync.

Still debating whether to pre-order the game for my Vita...

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm fine with the lack of ki charge. I mean, it's been in practically ever fighting game since year dot, and I think it makes it more-fast paced and less tedious if your ki boosts from doing melee attacks and such. I think I prefer that, honestly. It also prevents you from just standing there, charging ki, and spamming supers. You actually have to work to be able to do super attacks, which is good.

I'm playing it on Vita, and the demo is fine, but I find the controls to be confusing and like... not intuitive at all. I have a hard time keeping track of which two-button combinations do what. I don't really feel like I'm 100% in control.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm just curious as to why they made Square/X the ascend/descend buttons. For the first minute or so while playing, every time I tried to punch a Saibaiman, I jumped instead.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:18 pm

I just tried downloading Battle of Z on the PS3 and it said something about hooking up the Vita? :P Guess there isn't a ps3 demo only a demo for the Vita? anyways I'm downloading the 360 version. I hope I like it! :D It can't be no worse than...well you know. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:18 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I just tried downloading Battle of Z on the PS3 and it said something about hooking up the Vita? :P Guess there isn't a ps3 demo only a demo for the Vita? anyways I'm downloading the 360 version. I hope I like it! :D It can't be no worse than...well you know. :P
There's a PS3 version. You clearly downloaded the Vita demo instead of the PS3 demo :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:22 pm

That doesn't surprise me LOL I went to demo's and it wasn't in there? but when clicked somewhere else...heck I can't remember where LOL I seen it lol guess that's why It wouldn't work hahaha :lol:
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29 pm

samuraix123 wrote:That doesn't surprise me LOL I went to demo's and it wasn't in there? but when clicked somewhere else...heck I can't remember where LOL I seen it lol guess that's why It wouldn't work hahaha :lol:
Here, use the first link.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:The demo is now up in North America:

PS3 - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... TTRIAL0001
PSV - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. ... 0PACKAGE01
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Haha I figured it out just a bit ago. lol I'm not use to the Playstation store. :lol: Thanks anyway buddy! :) I'll post back later and give my two cents on the new game. I really hope it's better than Ultimate Tenkaichi.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm not sure why Namco Bandai is reusing music from RB1 and UB considering this is a brand new game developed by a different developer, regardless that they chose the good tracks it's still pretty shitty to be hearing recycled music.

And screw Nostal Treevax as he said we'd be getting Kikuchi's score and look what it actually is.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Kid Gohan's running animation reminds me so much of Naruto...
One World. 🌐 🕊

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:10 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm not sure why Namco Bandai is reusing music from RB1 and UB considering this is a brand new game developed by a different developer, regardless that they chose the good tracks it's still pretty shitty to be hearing recycled music.

And screw Nostal Treevax as he said we'd be getting Kikuchi's score and look what it actually is.
The Japanese version of Raging Blast 2's demo didn't have the Kikuchi score though the actual game did have it. I guess they don't include it in demos for copyright reasons. It's too early to insult him like that.

Also, I'm not surprised at all if it ends up having recycled soundtracks from other developers' games because that happened to Budokai Tenkaichi 1.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:08 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:And screw Nostal Treevax as he said we'd be getting Kikuchi's score and look what it actually is.
I could've sworn he interviewed the developers and they weren't certain. I don't remember him saying that people outside Japan would have the original score. Either way, I always play the next-gen games with my collection of Faulconer bgm, or Kikuchi bgm, depending on my mood. I'm sure that's still better than synthesized Kikuchi.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:18 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:And screw Nostal Treevax as he said we'd be getting Kikuchi's score and look what it actually is.
I could've sworn he interviewed the developers and they weren't certain. I don't remember him saying that people outside Japan would have the original score. Either way, I always play the next-gen games with my collection of Faulconer bgm, or Kikuchi bgm, depending on my mood. I'm sure that's still better than synthesized Kikuchi.
Synthesized or not, It's still Kikuchi, and while the quality of some tracks may be poor in comparison of the originals, others gain from it (M-1308 anyone?).
Thank god since Burst Limit have supported costum tracks tho.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Maybe "better" wasn't the right way to say that. I mean it kind of makes up for it lack of new music.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:29 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote: And screw Nostal Treevax as he said we'd be getting Kikuchi's score and look what it actually is.

It's definitely not his fault. He was probably fed misinformation.

Also, as said above, I remember from an interview he did that they were never certain if we'd get Kikuchi music. Maybe at one point it was confirmed for the European version, but never for the US.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Played the Demo and actually enjoyed it! :D I have little nitpicks about it though. The controls while I got use to them, I always hit X when I wanna start punching lol Why did they make it Y and B? lol I hope I can change that when the full game is released. Also not too big on the ascend and descend buttons either. also I can't figure out for the life of me how to switch characters in battle! :lol: But I do like it a-lot better than Ultimate Tenkaikai. I won't run out and buy it when it releases but I will get it some time later down the road. I also wish that Master Roshi and them would talk while the game is loading. :?
#1 Paikuhan fan!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:51 pm

samuraix123 wrote:The controls while I got use to them, I always hit X when I wanna start punching lol Why did they make it Y and B? lol I hope I can change that when the full game is released. Also not too big on the ascend and descend buttons either.
I don't remember what the button layouts are, but you can change the controls in the options menu on the demo.
samuraix123 wrote:Also I can't figure out for the life of me how to switch characters in battle!
You can't. When playing alone, all you can do is give your CPU teammates commands by pressing on the d-pad.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:36 pm

No Kikuchi in the European version? Someone pick up that phone because I called it :yawn:

Anyway, I played the Single-Player portion of the demo in the morning. The graphics reminded me of Budokai HD but without the good-looking character models, the control scheme felt awkward, menus feel awkward, the missions didn't seem all that great. I didn't "get it", the game, and spent all day wondering if it was worth it just for SSGod Goku, Beerus and Whis.
After dinner, I played the online Battle Mode. I get it now. I played four 10 min matches and absolutely enjoyed it.

The control scheme still takes a bit of getting used to, but that's gonna be the case no matter what Key Type you pick. I've been getting used to Type A but I would suggest Type C for just about anyone. You get the Unique moves switched to the face buttons leaving Descend and Ascend for the trigger buttons, which you now no longer need. I've been playing with Goku, like most, which has a short and a long distance Kaioken that render flying almost useless.

Guard Dashing is your best friend. Learn it, love it, live it. (Which I found by accident, since the game doesn't tell you that you can quickmove while guarding)
Surrounded by opponents as you're about to get up? Guard Dash. Too far from the action and need to fly in while dashing incoming attacks? Don't fly, Guard Dash your way there. Getting in a close-quarters 1-on-1? Guard Dash past him and combo him from the back. If you're about to combo someone and they Guard Dash away to do this to you (and you're locked onto him) Strike Impact will get him, if he's within reach.

The mechanics just work. Playing for the team is doable. If you're close to a team member getting combo'd, you can save him and turn it into a Synchro attack (or whatever it's called). The Unique abilities are relevant, which gets me excited for the rest of the roster. It has an arcade feel, in a good way, in how simple it is. Not sure I'll play full price for it, but it's probably worth whatever discounted price is possible to get with online stores for anyone that plans on playing a lot of online battles.

Music feels kinda forgetable here, even being a mix of past music. Would've liked to finally hear Kikuchi in an European version (Is it in the Japanese demo? Haven't checked yet). Menus are still a bit awkward but funcional. Menu sound effects are annoyingly loud, for some reason. Had to turn it almost all the way down.

On a more personal note, my PSN's Joao_Fintonio if anyone wants to play. I've been rocking with Goku in custom Vegetto colors :P
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 pm

I played the demo. It was alright I guess. It seems like the only fun you'd get out of this game would be in chaotic matches with the max amount of players. The standalone fighting is too shallow to really hold up a 1v1 on it's own.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.