Question about Tenkaichi Budokai (Sparking)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lorderezar

Question about Tenkaichi Budokai (Sparking)

Post by lorderezar » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:53 pm

Hi, after the announcement that Budokai 3 Collector's Edition will include the Japanese language option, is it at all possible that Tenkaichi will have the same option, or can we at least expect a similar collector's edition with that option?

Ian
"I am neither Gokou nor Vegeta. I am the one who will defeat you!"

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Question about Tenkaichi Budokai (Sparking)

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:04 pm

lorderezar wrote:Hi, after the announcement that Budokai 3 Collector's Edition will include the Japanese language option, is it at all possible that Tenkaichi will have the same option, or can we at least expect a similar collector's edition with that option?

Ian
Don't quote me on it, but from what I understand, the American version of the game has the Japanese voices selectable, but does not have the Japanese music selectable.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

lorderezar

Post by lorderezar » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, Vegetto EX. That is good news that the Japanese voices are selectable, but if the music is not, that hurts. I still might buy it, and crank up my DBZ soundtrack, because listening to the American music is not an option, in my opinion.

Ian
"I am neither Gokou nor Vegeta. I am the one who will defeat you!"

amakekeru_ryu_no_hirameki

Post by amakekeru_ryu_no_hirameki » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:51 pm

What music will be available in Budokai Tenkaichi? Or rather, will the music be original or just recycled music from old Budokai games? I've never played a Budokai game, so I don't know the quality of the music, but I assume it must be mediocre at best. Dissapointing that they listen to the fans halfway by putting the Japanese voices, but not the music.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:00 pm

amakekeru_ryu_no_hirameki wrote:What music will be available in Budokai Tenkaichi? Or rather, will the music be original or just recycled music from old Budokai games? I've never played a Budokai game, so I don't know the quality of the music, but I assume it must be mediocre at best. Dissapointing that they listen to the fans halfway by putting the Japanese voices, but not the music.
The music in the Budokai series is actually quite good. It's composed by Kenji Yamamoto, who composed a buttload of music for the show/movies back in the original Japanese run (the movie closing themes seem to have been his big thing). There's also a huge influence from the funk band Tower of Power (some of their songs were actually "remixed" for use in the games). Quite frankly, I think it's a phenomenal bunch of music, and is exactly what I envision a "modern" version of the show would use :).

Now, I haven't really watched any clips of gameplay (!) or have played the games yet, so I'm probably talking out of my ass, but from what I've been told and have read:

Japanese version: Music from the actual DBZ TV series, composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi
American version: Recycled music from the past Budokai games
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:00 pm

I think it doesn't have the Japanese music due to the same reason the anime dub doesn't. I think there were some liscensing issues over it. Ex would probably know more about it.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:04 pm

Slickmasterfunk wrote:I think it doesn't have the Japanese music due to the same reason the anime dub doesn't. I think there were some liscensing issues over it. Ex would probably know more about it.
Well, FUNimation's TV dub of DBZ not having the Japanese score was mostly a hold-over from them not using it back in 1995. They have to pay royalties on it every time it airs, so they went ahead and made their own music. Once the 1999 start-up-again came around, they weren't about to suddenly switch back to the Japanese score. They went with their own, new music.

Now, here comes the speculation:
  • DBZ is the longest of the three series, so if they're NOT going to pay for the original music in any of them, DBZ would be it
  • DBZ was their one true big hit, so they were going to do whatever they could to keep it as profitable as possible and popular with the kids
  • They knew DB wasn't going to be a big mainstream hit, and probably wouldn't air many multiples of times on TV, so they went ahead and just used the original music
  • They thought they could pull something outta their ass with GT and actually make it "hip," so they went ahead and came up with their own persona for it
Again, most of that is me talking out of my ass, but it's an educated talking out of my ass :). Long story short, since this game is with the DBZ franchise and they didn't license the DBZ music for normal use, it makes sense that they weren't going to get it / use it for the game.

amakekeru_ryu_no_hirameki

Post by amakekeru_ryu_no_hirameki » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:28 pm

Well, that's good to hear that the Budokai music is good, I had expected it to be bad, if it was chosen over the TV series music in Tenkaichi. I'm going to rent the game when it is released, and if its as good as it looks to be, I'm definintely going to buy it.

Tenka-Ichi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenka-Ichi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The music in the Budokai series is actually quite good. It's composed by Kenji Yamamoto, who composed a buttload of music for the show/movies back in the original Japanese run (the movie closing themes seem to have been his big thing).
He also composed the majority of the AMAZING music from the Metroid games.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:36 pm

Tenka-Ichi wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:The music in the Budokai series is actually quite good. It's composed by Kenji Yamamoto, who composed a buttload of music for the show/movies back in the original Japanese run (the movie closing themes seem to have been his big thing).
He also composed the majority of the AMAZING music from the Metroid games.
I believe there was a conversation about this where we determined they were two entirely different people.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:03 am

While the Budokai music IS good, I kinda feel that they're simply recycling the music and that Atari's trying to convince us that it's actually a fourth installment to the Budokai series when it really isn't. It's not much of a problem, but it woulda been nice to have the Japanese music instead.

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:22 pm

There's a lot of the Budokai music that I really like so I wasn't that bothered over the fact that we weren't getting the original music until I saw a video of the Japanese version that used the soundtrack from the Dragon Ball Z opening narration for each episode for one of the menus, and the battle that followed featured Piccolo's old theme.

Now... I do miss the original BGM...

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:35 pm

Question
Japanese version: Music from the actual DBZ TV series, composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi
American version: Recycled music from the past Budokai games
So does this mean for the Japanese version most of the fights are silent or if not, use the kickass classical music? Sorry if I get bashed so soon, just want to confirm

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:32 am

The only time it's silent is when they have to reloop it, and that usually takes like 3 seconds. And yes, ALL of the fights have the 'kick ass classical music'.

LoL, sometimes I like to turn off the music so I can listen to the sound effects more closely, especially when underwater.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:05 pm

Classical music just doesn't work for a fighting game. It'd be nice to have gotten a new soundtrack for this game, but the Budokai music works just as good. Nice and action-y.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:59 pm

I guess it's just a matter of opinion. And, besides the repetitive nature of the 'classical' soundtrack, it fits in just fine into the game. Somehow, it still manages to be 'action-y'. LoL

AznMastah

Post by AznMastah » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:05 pm

I haven't gotten the game yet but everyones saying stuff about Story Mode. Is there a story mode for each character in the game or is it just like how in Budokai 1 where you just do a continuous battle?
If I'm dodging i wont get hit, if i'm protecting someone I won't let them die, and if I'm attacking...I WILL CUT YOU!!!!

h3ndrix2005
Beyond Newbie

Post by h3ndrix2005 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:44 pm

No, there isn't a story mode for each character; you just go saga by saga, choosing the fights you want.