Worst Dragon Ball game of all time?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Worst Dragon Ball game of all time?

Post by Weejus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:00 pm

While the franchise has produced several reputable games, there have been a fair few stinkers over the years so which do you think is the worst? I say DBZ for Kinect but that's largely due to the Kinect itself, but the sheer lack of effort and content is also a major factor, plus the PAL version lacks the Super Saiyan headband, which is the biggest fault of all. Shame on you, Namco Bandai.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Re: Worst Dragon Ball game of all time?

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Taiketsu for GBA.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:11 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Taiketsu for GBA.
Oh yeah, I played that one once. Dear Kami it was terrible. I can see what they tried to do with the visuals, make them look like digitised 3D models like classic Mortal Kombat or Donkey Kong Country style but on GBA it doesn't work. The sprites' light effects make them look like dolls that have 8 light sources reflecting off them (Gohan in the Saiyaman costume looks like he's wearing a sequin dress) and 18 looks like she has dreadlocks. The gameplay is just button mashing but who expected anything else from a 4-button licensed fighting game? The music isn't that bad though.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:39 pm

I enjoyed playing DBZ For Kinect so my vote goes to Taiketsu and GT Transformation.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:45 pm

I might have to say Gt transformations. Was boring and bad gameplay

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 pm

UB22, Taiketsu, and GT Transformations. I was gonna say DBZ Kinect but I actually thought it was okay. All it needed was more stuff and better response.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:25 pm

WTF?! DBZ for Kinect IS the worst period. Stop making these threads. Just put my post in OP, sticky it and lock it.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 am

Never seriously played Final Bout, Taiketsu, or the Kinect game (all of which are very poorly received), and Sagas sucked the mighty oozaru testicles but it's lackluster quality is what made it enjoyable for me so ultimately I'd have to say Ultimate Battle 22. Poor graphics (even for it's time), lack of options, and overly precise controls. The only thing about it that's remotely redeeming is the soundtrack (courtesy of Kenji Yamamoto).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:52 am

Normally I'd say Taiketsu, but at least that game had some charm. It was shit but it was an endearing pile of feces. Ultimate Blast takes my vote.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:24 am

The Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game Game for Game Boy Advance. Boring as hell to play, and I could never figure it out anyway.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game Game for Game Boy Advance. Boring as hell to play, and I could never figure it out anyway.
If it was anything like the regular card game I'm sure nobody could figure out how to play it. :P

Well out of the games I've played this award unfortunately goes to Burst Limit even though I KNOW there are worst games out there. Tenkaichi 1 was bad but I had fun with it during its original run. Burst Limit was so bad I actually went back and started playing Tenkaichi 3 again something I've never done before when it came to the annual DBZ games. Revenge of King Piccolo gets an honorable mention because its probably not as bad as I think it is but I lack the patience to fully play through it because its sooooo boring.

Yes I've played Sagas but I've actually had fun playing that game.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:20 pm

Aww. I didn't really find the Collectible Card Game on GBA to be that bad. A little limited and would have been better if they'd gotten to refine it in sequels, but it's still fairly fun. I actually learned more about how to play with the actual cards because of that game.

I've mentioned it before I think, but my vote would definitely be Taiketsu. I think it's the one DBZ game that I have not played even once since first getting and playing with it years ago. Even Ultimate Battle 22, Sagas, and finally Final Bout have been played way more recently than that one has. I pretty much have no desire to go back to it either.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Insertclevername wrote:Normally I'd say Taiketsu, but at least that game had some charm. It was shit but it was an endearing pile of feces. Ultimate Blast takes my vote.
Well, I wanted to also say Ultimate Blast but to me that isn't a real game so it was left out of the bunch.

Tenkaichi 1 is pretty bad too.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

hulkty
Banned

Post by hulkty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:37 pm

WTF? I already answered the question. Lock this thread.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:05 pm

hulkty wrote:WTF? I already answered the question. Lock this thread.
Why does the thread needs to be locked? Why does your answer means it's official since everyone got different opinions.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Ultimate Battle 22 and the Collectible Card Game on the GBA. UB22 made me so angry that I return back to Blockbuster in a few hours later and it's the only thing that I rented that I return back so soon. The gameplay is boring, slow and the controls are terrible. The graphics are bad even for a mid 90's video game and the build up mode is so pointless given that it has no purpose since that there's no story mode. The best thing about the game is the intro and soundtrack.

I hate the CCG on the GBA because I hate that there is no tutorial mode. I never played the card game and I was hoping that this game would be easy for people who are new.
At least Yu-Gi-Oh: The Eternal Duelist Soul on the Gameboy Advance had a tutorial mode so that people who never played the card game can learn how play the card game. I also remember that the music in this game is so repetitive. You are going to hear the same multiple music track over and over again.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Of the games I've played, I'd have to say the first Legacy of Goku. Easily one of the worst games I've ever played.
It's successors are pretty good though.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Legacy of Goku was pretty bad and it was the first DBZ game that I own. I always wish they remade the first game on the DS when they had the chance. The second game was like "Holy crap! I can't believe this is a sequel because it's so good". It's like what Wrath of Khan was to the first Star Trek movie.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Blu-ray_Mistress
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Blu-ray_Mistress » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:14 am

Imo, that would have to be Budokai 2 because I didn't like that turned the characters into game pieces on a board game.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:36 am

Ultimate Battle 22.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]