DBZ Over-kill on the Ps2?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

DBZ Over-kill on the Ps2?

Post by Conan the SSJ » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:48 pm

Seriously, when you think about it, look at how many games we've gotten on the Ps2 for DBZ within the last 3 years, and another one has already been confirmed for Japan. We've gotten 5 DBZ games, consisting of Budokai, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, Sagas, and Budokai Tenkaichi. We've been getting basically the same exact story mode on each of these games, and what Budokai and Sagas didn't cover, Budokai 2, Budokai 3, and Budokai Tenkaichi made sure to cover. The fighting engine in the first 3 Budokais is more or less the same general aspect (some tweaks and noticeable changes being done throughout the games), whilst Sagas went on the route of shooting for an action/adventure engine that could operate with 2-player co-op in the story mode (annoying glitches and all), and Budokai Tenkaichi just built an all new game engine from the ground up that was nearly nothing like the previous games. But the point is that despite the changes done in game-play with these games, they still use the exact same story, the exact same characters (though each game, except Budokai, has its own signifying characters), and this has all been spread across 5 entirely separate Ps2 games (all first priced here in America at $50).

Now, as it would seem, Japan will be importing the arcade-fighter, DragonBall Z Chou, over to the Ps2 console. What I'd like to know from others here is, in your opinions, has the DBZ franchise gone overkill on the Ps2, if not already, then with bringing Chou to the console on the beginning era of the Ps3? I mean, I for one would love an absolute ideal DB/Z/GT game for the Ps2 (something that, in my opinion, still hasn't been done), but the way things are looking with Chou, all we may get is an arcade-fighter with 10 - 15 characters (considering it's looking to be a direct port from its arcade genre). With the era of the Ps3 practically on our door steps, is the DBZ franchise going too far in regard to the Ps2 console by giving us Chou after 5 previous releases of DBZ?

On a side note, I find this a bit ironic that I bring up overkill on the Ps2, especially considering the poor Gamecubers still have no confirmation for their own Budokai 3 (let alone Budokai Tenkaichi), and the X-Boxers only have Sagas to wet their DBZ whistles. I guess it just goes to show ya', us Ps2ers can be really spoiled sometimes, especially in DBZ regards (3D character designs in Budokai, the great Budokai 3 being out for more than a year, Budokai Tenkaichi being released with the Japanese VAs). :shock:
14 years later

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Re: DBZ Over-kill on the Ps2?

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:17 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:The fighting engine in the first 3 Budokais is more or less the same ....
Sit down youngin', and I shall tell thee the tale of what we olden folk call 'Street Fighter 2'.

All 30 of them :P

Nah, I don't really think DBZ got too much exposure, though I do think they rushed each of those games. I'd have happily taken 2 games which were more fleshed out and tweaked. Still, ya takes what ya can get, no?

-Corey

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:33 pm

It could be worse. DBZ is a hot commodity right now. Game companies are going to milk DBZ for all it's worth. We'll probably get a new game each year for years to come. Not as bad as Street Fighter, but it's getting there.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:59 pm

I agree with you; the more DragonBall games they release for the PS2, the less popular the franchise is going to become as a whole. Especially considering the Budokai series, it was like each game was a slightly enhanced version of the last.

I think the best idea (and smartest, from a developers point of view) would be to make this "Chou DragonBall Z" the last game for the PS2, and then turn their sights towards the next generation consoles, and start developing games now so we have something new to play in the DBZ universe that isn't simply "Tenkaichi 1.5".

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:04 pm

I want more DBZ games, damnit, MORE! MORE I SAY! ..... er, ummm ...... heh heh. *ehem* The more DBZ games the better, I say. The more that they make the better they'll get at making them. And I'm still waiting for my 3D RPG! *Smacks Atari, Bandai, and everyone else involved.*

EDIT:
Deus, I'm 95% sure that Dimps is already doing that. Making the first Budokai for the PS3, that is. That's why they haven't put out another one for the PS2 and Spike got to make BT (and why Chou DBZ is being ported as well). I say let Dimps work on the fighters, they've proven their better at it than anyone else, and get some other companies to make some other types of games.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:35 am

EDIT:
Deus, I'm 95% sure that Dimps is already doing that. Making the first Budokai for the PS3, that is. That's why they haven't put out another one for the PS2 and Spike got to make BT (and why Chou DBZ is being ported as well). I say let Dimps work on the fighters, they've proven their better at it than anyone else, and get some other companies to make some other types of games.
I hope so! C'mon, Atari! :P I love the Budokai games to death, but enough is enough on the PS2 console. Release Chou DBZ, then move on to the PS3, or better yet, rerelease Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi for Gamecube! :?
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:13 am

Holy crap. Imagine if Capcom WAS the one publishing these games. They did have an awful lot of versions of Street Fighter II. Over half a dozen.

I don't have a problem at all with the amount of DBZ games being released. At least each game is bringing added refinement, polish, features, etc, or even a whole new type of game.

For the Budokai games, whether people argue that the improvements are minor and maybe don't warrant a new game just yet or not, at least they are improving in the first place. Lots of people love Budokai 3, but those same people may not feel the same way about the previous 2 installments. So the developer's must've done something good.

If you want to see overkill, you should take a look at some Capcom franchises. Like MegaMan. They may be good games, but they're done to death with pretty much NO changes in gameplay. DBZ games arguably ARE being cranked out, but I think it's not so bad since they either have different gameplay (Budokai, Sagas, and Tenkaichi Budokai) or nice improvements (Budokai 1-3).

Pedro The Hutt
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pedro The Hutt » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:07 pm

Hm, well if anything I wouldn't complain if more games were ported to the Gamecube. XD Or faster at least. But some nifty licensing deals restrict that from happening.

But all in all, I certainly don't feel flooded with DBZ games, it's kind of like Star Wars games, each year you get at the least one of them, but there have been years with 3 releases or more, yet the fans keep asking for more. So as long as fans keep asking for DBZ games, and we actually get quality DBZ games, I'm not going to complain really.

Alchemist Ed
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alchemist Ed » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:43 pm

Well, having recently purchased a GameCube, and seeing how fast some of the load times are compared to the PS2, and liking the layout of the GameCube controller more than the PS2's, I'd love to play an exclusive game for my Cube. But, I must admit, the PS2 seems to be everyone's favorite console (and the first one of this generation I owned), but I'd still like at least Budokai 3 for my GameCube.