Your first Dragon Ball video game

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Re: Your first Dragon Ball video game

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
Quebaz wrote:Image
Yes, with that cover.
Interesting that Spopovich is on the cover when that game didn't even cover that portion of the series.
Along with Saiyaman.
Great Saiyaman was actually an unlockable character, so that one makes some sense.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Great Saiyaman was actually an unlockable character, so that one makes some sense.
Ah. I never did anything after beating Cell.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:05 pm

mysticboy wrote:This bad boy right here:
Wow haha, I had forgotten about this! I actually loved it haha
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:17 am

VeggieXD wrote:
mysticboy wrote:This bad boy right here:
Wow haha, I had forgotten about this! I actually loved it haha
I've got one of those sitting in my closet with all my LCD games... cats killed the figure though
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

Rukura
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:01 am

Final Bout, which I played once (when I was 6/7) and thought was awesome for the longest time :P

Years later, I followed that up with Tenkaichi 2, 3 and then Super DBZ, Budokai 3 and Infinite World.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:28 am

Nice topic.

Well, back in ... 1996-1997, when I was in my late teens, I bought a PC magazine which had demos from (un)licensed games. One of them was a amateurish Dragon Ball fighting game by a dude ... I never got his name. Anyway, the demo was a street fighter like game which had a 23rd Budokai Goku character (who was called WuKong for copyright reasons, I guess) and a cell saga Krillin (I actually thought he was Tien at first because he looked too tall and muscular to be Krillin - back then the Greek Television was showing the Picolo Daimao saga - I ... don't remember the name the Krillin character had).

Now you must understand that back then I was hyped as hell with Dragon Ball and I didn't yet have internet to know that outside Greece there were like, 20 Dragon Ball games released in Sega and Nintendo consoles.

I played that demo like there was no tomorrow, just with these two characters. A couple of years later, the first Dragon Ball game was released in Greece, Final Bout and ...

Well, out of topic. Anyway, that was my first Dragon Ball video game experience. I ended up sharing the game with one of the webmasters from www.PlanetNamek.com (RIP). I think he posted it for everyone to download it, eventually.

MajinVegetaSSj6
Beyond Newbie

Post by MajinVegetaSSj6 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:39 am

Final Bout, and i love it!

Pan-tastic

Post by Pan-tastic » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:25 am

Final Bout was my first Dragon Ball game. At the time I had a ton of fun with it, trying to unlock stuff blindly... I wasn't sure who some of the characters were at first, but the internet helped me out (as shoddy as it was back then). While it was extremely clunky compared to the 2D Capcom fighters I was playing at the time. While it hasn't aged well, it hits me in the nostalgia feels. The oldest good DBZ games I later played were Hyper Dimension or Super Butoden 2.

It is kind of bitter-sweet how often DBZ fighting games hop all over the place. New franchises, different developers. They need to go competitive one game and super fan service the next, then back again. The way they're doing it results in more bad games than good. Haven't played XV yet, but it looks great. Prior to it, RB2 was the last game I liked, with Burst Limit before it.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:12 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Final Bout was mine.

I had absolutely no idea who any of the GT characters were since I don't believe GT was even on TV when we got this in the UK.

It was a pretty godawful game looking back on it but as a kid, I was just happy to be able to play a Dragon Ball game in some format.
was it possible to save in final bout? I played with a friend on his ps 1, and every time we would finish the game and get characters but once we turned it off all progress was lost :C
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

songohan619
Advanced Regular

Post by songohan619 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:20 am

Budokai 3! :D And it was geeewd! The gameplay, the graphics, the music, everything was just so fantastic, so new, so... Dragon Ball! To this day, Budokai 3 is my favorite DB game! It`s one of the few DB games my friends would come over to play!

Super SaiyaJon
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super SaiyaJon » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:23 am

When I first got my PS3 was around the time I started really getting into Dragon Ball. When I was looking at the store shelf, I noticed 2 Dragon Ball games: Raging Blast 2 and Ultimate Tenkaichi. I had no idea what either game had to offer, so I chose UT on a whim.

Ultimate Tenkaichi wasn't horrible to me when I first played it because I had no other Dragon Ball games (or other fighting games at all, sans Sonic the Fighters) to compare it to. I didn't think it was super good, but I thought it was at least decent. Of course, playing it now is unbearable by comparison to any other DB game I own on my PS3.
Kakacarrottop wrote: That's the problem with the "Dragon Ball" fanbase, it's too divided. There's "FUNimation fanboys", "Kai fanboys", "Ocean fanboys", "Japanese fanboys", we need to stop attacking each other and realize we're all fans of the same thing.
Saiga wrote:Gandalf: Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them?

Goku: Yes, actually.

Gandalf: Oh. Neat.

UpFromTheSkies
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:13 pm

The first Dragon Ball game I played was for Game Boy back in the 90's. I don't remember the name, but it was a black and white game, and I remember running along snake way and then training at North Kai's planet.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Legends on my older brother's friend's hacked PS1. It was a pretty fun game.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

kamenriderneko

Post by kamenriderneko » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Bought the Japanese import of Final Bout after renting the English one once, and cringed at the horrible voice acting.
Trunks "This is going to be a problem!" *DERP*

I remember how much I loved that game, I could only beat it with chibi SS Goku. Man, good memories of that game, even though I know how awful it truly is. My copy was stolen, sadly.
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
*Art Tumblr*Cosplay Page*

DBZAOTA482
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:49 pm

kamenriderneko wrote:Bought the Japanese import of Final Bout after renting the English one once, and cringed at the horrible voice acting.

I remember how much I loved that game, I could only beat it with chibi SS Goku. Man, good memories of that game, even though I know how awful it truly is. My copy was stolen, sadly.
I wouldn't call it stealing, more like relieving.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31207&p=969551#p969545

kamenriderneko

Post by kamenriderneko » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:07 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
kamenriderneko wrote:Bought the Japanese import of Final Bout after renting the English one once, and cringed at the horrible voice acting.

I wouldn't call it stealing, more like relieving.
Haha! That's beside the point. It was not cheap to get at the time either.
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
*Art Tumblr*Cosplay Page*

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:08 pm

Budokai 1 for gamecube lol

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:49 am

While DBZ Legend/Legends and Budokai 1 were some of my favourites, the ones I played most were the famicom RPGs, Legendary Super Warriors and Budokai Tenkaichi 3. I've played quite a few of them, some of them I did manage to complete (I especially liked the ones where you could play as Raditz or Vegeta)
=
Like Dragonball Z: Legendary Super Warriors for GBC? Follow the blog! http://legendarysuperwarriors.tumblr.com/
And now, we have a Wordpress site which contains all the Character Focus articles and Let's Play Video Links! http://legendarysuperwarriors.wordpress.com/
=

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:32 pm

My first was actually "Legend of the Super Saiyan" for the snes. My older brother used to download emulators pretty frequently back in the late 90's - early 00's, which was how I got to play it. The game itself was fine enough, though I recall getting annoyed by the repeated battle music.

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:21 pm

My first was Legends, for the Saturn. Still have both the game and the console in my brother's room (though we haven't played it in ages). It was an okay game, kinda repetitive and bare-bones but easily accessible. Also had pretty good music. Have the entire soundtrack in mp3 format on my cell phone.
Kakacarrottop wrote:
Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
Quebaz wrote:
Yes, with that cover.
Interesting that Spopovich is on the cover when that game didn't even cover that portion of the series.
I had that version as well. I think they just put him on the cover since the Buu arc was being aired in English around the same time the first Budokai was released.
The European covers for the first Budokai (both the PS2 and Gamecube versions) and Legacy of Goku II were terrible. It was mostly copy-paste of the first character images the cover "designer" found on the Internet. Legacy of Goku II, for example, had chibi Trunks and teenage Gohan (not to mention Vegeta on his Buu arc outfit) on the cover of a game that only has the Artificial Humans arc: