Your first Dragon Ball video game

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Re: Your first Dragon Ball video game

Post by Insertclevername » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:01 pm

I'm going to be the boring one and admit Budokai 1 was my first...or maybe Legacy of Goku II for GBA. It's hard to remember, really.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:32 pm

Final Bout for me. A friend of mine owned the Japanese version; we played it all the time in fifth grade. I remember trying to come up with a strategy to cut Great Ape Baby Vegeta's tail off, not realizing the game wouldn't actually let you do that. I went and got a copy of my own a little later. I think I bought the Japanese versions of Final Bout and Ultimate Battle 22 on the same day.

To copy/paste from a previous post of mine...

Some of my earliest and fondest Dragon Ball memories involve going down to a local video game & import store with my dad in 2001 and paying for overpriced Japanese copies of "Ultimate Battle 22" and "Final Bout" for the Playstation. Since we "only" had a Playstation 2, playing these games involved purchasing a used Playstation 1 AND a plug-in device that enabled it to play import games. Then I had to do a little trick with the discs upon start-up to actually get them to run. It was tedious. It was expensive. My 11-year-old self was very obviously ripped off.

It was AWESOME.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

radrappy
Beyond Newbie

Post by radrappy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:33 am

I imported Legends for sega saturn when I was a teen. I was absolutely smitten with the game for a while; that might have something to do with why I like BoZ so much.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:40 am

My first DB video game was and will always be GT Final Bout. I played the original Japanese version that my brother's friend brought over and even played it when I went on a vacation to Mexico (some resort had it in their video game room). So many great memories around that game...and I didn't even know I was playing a poor fighting game. :D
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:51 am

InfernalVegito wrote:Final Bout for me too. Dragon Ball just started airing here and I had really no grasp of who some of those characters in the game were, but I knew that it had to do with Son Goku because he was in it, even if he (his GT kid form) looked a little different than when he was really a kid. I didn't play anything else back then and was addicted, the questionable gameplay aside. Immediately fell in love with its score and still revisit it to play some rounds due to nostalgia.

Always tried to figure out the METEOR combinations.
Haha! Forgot about that! I almost dropped $80 on it, till my ma caught me on eBay and flipped her shit lol augh I remembered back in the day having to scrape and beg for ay kind of DBZ game. Battle Stadium DON was one that killed me not to own cuz it was like Smash Bros from what I could tell online, but this one was the one that got away till I got an emulator. I tried buying one at an EB games or something but again was stopped from dropping $80 on a single game lol :lol:
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:52 am

So many memories. But man, is this game frustrating. The battles aren't short, either.

Wibbs
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Wibbs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:01 am

My first DragonBall game was Final Bout, I had so much fun with it as a kid. It's still one of my favorite DragonBall games if only for the fact you can play as GT Trunks in it. In fact I liked it so much I own about four different versions of it.
Thanks to SSJ God Gogeta for the avatar.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:19 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
Goku and Gohan look like they were made by Ooishi or BK-81 from DBM.

My first DB video game was Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1. At the time I didn't know much about the Cell Arc, so it was nice to have all those cutscenes. Because of the lack of Buu Arc, I didn't know who this Great Saiyaman was supposed to be, until I went ahead and bought vol. 37(I didn't acquire the books in order).

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Other than emulated versions of Super Butouden 3 or Hyper Dimension, I guess it was good (music-wise xD) Final Bout.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Budokai 2 for ps2 (really wish they had added it into the JD collection).
Next Game I bought after that was Ultimate Tenkaichi for the ps3. :lol: I'm not really want you'll call a gamer.

TenshiGokuu
Banned

Post by TenshiGokuu » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Mine is the battle of z since i never owned or played a dragon ball game before

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:31 pm

The Legacy of Goku for GBA.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Mine was Final Bout, though like a lot of others I had no idea who most of the characters were. I remember my dad telling me that he'd got hold of it, it was a pirated copy (for shame) and I can't remember if I was happy or disappointed when playing it, I wasn't very good at it though.

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:04 pm

The localized Legend of Shenlong aka Dragon Power for the NES about 20 years ago. Then later went on to play the Butouden series and Final Bout.

And Final Bout isn't a terrible game, I still enjoy completing that to this day.
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:09 pm

The first Legacy of Goku for me. It's actually what got me watching the show again after the first time I stopped.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:48 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:The first Legacy of Goku for me. It's actually what got me watching the show again after the first time I stopped.
If I had played that game as a kid, it would have done the opposite! :P
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 am

Insertclevername wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:The first Legacy of Goku for me. It's actually what got me watching the show again after the first time I stopped.
If I had played that game as a kid, it would have done the opposite! :P
:lol: Well, I discovered the invincibility glitch early on, so the only hard parts were getting from Kami's Lookout to the Nappa and Vegeta fight (stupid bank robbers with stupid guns...) and getting through the temple on Namek. I don't think I actually legitimately beat the game until a few years ago :P

But...the music was good, the cutscenes were cool, and flying around was fun. That was enough to get me back into the series for a while.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 am

Budokai 1. It's what got me into the whole series in the first place.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

randomking0x70

Post by randomking0x70 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:27 am

It was either Budokai or Legacy of Goku. I still remember being really dissapointed with LoG.
KAMEE...HAME...HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
o
|==(0::::::::::::::::::::::::
^

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Budokai 1 on the GameCube.
I remember I never knew how to do a super attack, so I did the whole game with just punching/kicking (and the occasional accident Kamehameha). I could never figure out what P-P-P-P-G meant as a little kid haha