Some people at gamefaqs.com can be real asses.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Some people at gamefaqs.com can be real asses.

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:09 am

So, I was browsing through GameFaqs yesterday for the hell of it, when I suddenly found myself in the Budokai 3 area, checking out the reviews out of curiosity. When suddenly, I come across this review by a guy named Ragg-something. Anyhow, I start reading his review for the awesome Ps2 game, when I suddenly begin to notice: doesn't this review seem a bit familar? Wait a minute, it does! Under the alias "Shadow-Resident" over at GameFaqs, I wrote more or less the same exact review a few months prior to his submission. To my surprise through comparing our reviews, I find that his is a 95% copy-pasting of mine, with only the beginning, ending, ONE sentence, and basically nothing else of alteration done to my review. I'm not sure if I should feel flattered, or just plain insulted, so I think I'll go with the insulted feeling considering this bastard didn't even consider crediting me. Here's everything he copy-pasted from my review.
Just pure gold, that's all I could say to describe Budokai 3. I've been a DBZ fan for a good number of years. Atari and Dimps both really pulled through for us, literally taking all the good elements from the first two Budokais (minus the what-if fusions) and just came up with such a fabulous formula. Not to mention, the fabulous Saiyan Overdrive System.

Vastly improved upon since the previous two Budokais, and that's a huge understatement. Returning an element from the Final Bout PS1 game, death moves can now struggle if the fighters shoot at the same time, and it doesn't get any funner than battling it out in a classic DBZ beam struggle. Oh wait, yes, it does! Also new is the teleportations ability which adds a whole lot more fun and interest to the fights, and it gets as creative as pin-balling an opponent, not to mention the ability to actually FLY now (yes I said you can FLY during fighting, press back-back to dash and press up and you're air-bound). The newest addition is the rock-scissors-paper style system of "Dragon Rush", in which after entering the all new "Hyper Mode" and hitting the right impact, you can battle it out with your opponent in a battle where fatigue rests in the balance (plus some special moves can be accessed through it). And finally of course is the new Dragon Universe mode, in which you can literally fly around the world (not just Earth) in a fantastic appearance of "bukujutsu", which adds more of a RPG feel to the game as you cruise around interacting with different spots and people, and capable of leveling you're fighter's stats up (which can be done in Dragon Arena as well).

Brought to life in the all new "Dragon Universe" mode, you can select from 11 separate characters (Goku, Kid Gohan, Teen Gohan, Gohan, Vegeta, Piccolo, Krillin, Tien, Yamcha, Uub, and even Broly) and play through each's own particular story arc, and it very much gets interesting considering the different ways they can be played out (Goku's alone can be ended 4 ways), however one bad downside is that they lack animated cut-scenes which were present in the first Budokai, and instead the plot points are signified with a comic styled appearance with the voice actors' talking and SFX in the background. This really would make the Dragonball story unfamiliar to anyone whom hasn't gotten to know too much about it, still the mode alone is just beyond fascinating to play, and at least every character can have 2 different endings in their story arcs, while of course others can have 3 or even 4 different routs. And may I say, you MUST play through this mode a good amount of times if you want all the characters and capsules, trust me, it's worth the time after getting EVERYTHING. Not to mention, something's can be downright sweet: SPOILER, for example being able to kill EVERY single member of Goku's family (even Chichi) in Broly's DU is just insane.

Truly honestly breath taking, Budokai 3 takes Budokai 2's cell-shading and increases the beauty by 10 fold. Each and every character is perfectly detailed, right down to the auras. It honestly looks like your in the anime itself, the new arena landscapes are detailed just about perfectly with the awesome 3-D elements, and counting damaged arenas, we get 16 places to fight which are ALL fabulously designed. The graphics for the Dragon Universe mode when traveling around the "worlds", they're very impressive as the creators have made sure to detail basically every possible place when flying around.
Pure goodness. We get brand new music for this particular game, returning music from Budokai 1, and some very nice other tunes. Also the sound effects are simply unrivaled, they are straight from the show and dead-on PERFECT! All the FUNimation voice actors come back to do their own respective parts in this game, and they do their jobs quite impressively. A major downside is that not all the comicy "cut-scenes" in DU are voiced, which makes it kind of less fun as it seems more stale and less alive, however what they do voice is pretty damn good. Oh, and keep your ears out for those beloved curse words, specifically Dabura's "hyper mode" phrase, and a couple surprises by Vegeta and Trunks in their memory recordings. Pretty much everything about the sound, 100% SUPERB!

We get some nice treats in Budokai 3, which I must say are very interesting. The all new digitally animated opening by Toei is by far my favorite, perfect animation to a cool song. Also in the "Dragon Universe" mode, you may notice there's an area labeled "Bonus's", which contain some nice extras for the people whom (like myself) have attained a 100%. There's the memory capsules which hold audio archives for EVERY single character in Budokai 3, including the fusions and sub-characters in DU. Some people may also find it a bit strange that almost all the recordings sound from different DU modes other than the available 11, well that's because they most likely are, evidently Atari had been shooting to make DUs for all the fighting characters but probably due to time and disc space, they had to limit it to 11 characters, which isn't too bad at all in my book. There's also a database area with story recreation recordings for memorable moments in DBZ/GT, 20 separate places to be exact. And finally, are the special "Baba Crystal Ball movies", in which you get two short intros to Budokai 2's opening: 000 contains the original opening with Japanese lyrics, and 001 contains the American version with no lyrics, now (outside the What-if fusions) no-one really has any reason to keep Budokai 2 anymore.

By far, perhaps the BEST Dragonball Z game yet. 5 fusions, improved graphics, and over-all sweetness. The game play has been vastly improved, most notably with the new Saiyan overdrive system, which allows free flight, teleporting, specific physical moves (such as Piccolo's stretching arms and Trunks' and Dabura's swords), and the new Dragon Rush addition definitely gives a feeling like your in an actual episode. The new Dragon Universe mode allows you to play out the story with 11 characters, all of them worth playing at least 3 times each, and in an RPG elemented mode. Making returns from previous Budokais are the Duel, World Tournament (now with a Cell Games selection), and Practice (with a nicely improved training selection) modes. One of the many meats and potatoes has got to be the new Dragon Arena unlockable mode, in which a player can build up any character they want on a quest for many more unlockables, and even battle other online players by CPU. A definite must-get for any DB/Z/GT fan.
My Review

His Review

Is that right? If a person's gonna be a lazy jackass and copy-paste someone else's hard worked review, the least he can do is get permission or give credit. Thoughts?
14 years later

Last Son of Krypton
Beyond Newbie

Post by Last Son of Krypton » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:15 am

Yeah, asking for permission would have been nice. But what would have been even better is if he would have written his OWN review.

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:49 am

This is a surprisingly common occurrence at some boards. I've stumbled across so many posts that are just blatant copies (word for word) for stuff off of websites. It's ridiculous. It's like it doesn't even cross their minds to even cite their sources. And when someone actually confronts them about it, they just say something like "Well I never actually said I wrote it...". :roll:

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:58 am

You forgot to mention how cheap and limited the Rock Paper Scissors aka Dragon Rush is. :P

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:49 am

This is quite normal. But lol, this guy must be an idiot to copy a review from the same board. Most cases I've seen copy from other forums, sites, even Gamespot! Still, I agree. This guy should at least asked permission.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:22 am

Izlude wrote:You forgot to mention how cheap and limited the Rock Paper Scissors aka Dragon Rush is. :P
Not as cheap and limited as the move ranges in Budokai Tenkaichi are. The rush attacks are hard to dodge, there's no way to break out of it like there is in Budokai 3, and too many of the fighters get the ability. Also, the energy wave moves aren't as wide-ranged as in Budokai 3, I mean there's a considerable amount of fighters that only have their finishing move being original. Concerning my Budokai 3 review, I was speaking from point of view, and in my opinion, the Dragon Rush system in Budokai 3 wasn't really that annoying, as opposed to Budokai Tenkaichi's. Have a problem with Budokai 3's Dragon Rush system, write a review about it to GameFaqs, just please don't copy-paste any of my own words like that cheap ass-clown did.
14 years later

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:00 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Izlude wrote:You forgot to mention how cheap and limited the Rock Paper Scissors aka Dragon Rush is. :P
Not as cheap and limited as the move ranges in Budokai Tenkaichi are. The rush attacks are hard to dodge, there's no way to break out of it like there is in Budokai 3.
You kiddin me? Rush attacks are very easy to dodge or counterattack, although there is no way to break out of them in Budokai 3, which is totally based on luck anyhow. On the bright side though, unlike the Dragon Rush, in BT a Rush move don't end with Finishing Moves, forcing you to take even more damage, so it's not going to be the end of the fight if you get caught in a Rush move or two whereas in Budokai 3, if you fail to hit the right button, your screwed.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:45 pm

:x People like this make me want to blow something up...

Have you said anything to him, Conan?
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:18 am

Chaos Saiyajin wrote::x People like this make me want to blow something up...

I don't know the guy's email or AIM, his gamefaqs profile doesn't help either since it doesn't give me any info on how to contact him. Some jackasses just get away with some shit, pisses me off just as much considering I'm the guy who's review got ripped off. Oh well, maybe I'll come across him in a chat board sometime, if that happens, I'll make sure to speak my mind right up front. If anyone else tries ripping me off, hopefully he/she'll at the least credit me for whatever is featured.
14 years later

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:44 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:
Chaos Saiyajin wrote::x People like this make me want to blow something up...

I don't know the guy's email or AIM, his gamefaqs profile doesn't help either since it doesn't give me any info on how to contact him. Some jackasses just get away with some shit, pisses me off just as much considering I'm the guy who's review got ripped off. Oh well, maybe I'll come across him in a chat board sometime, if that happens, I'll make sure to speak my mind right up front. If anyone else tries ripping me off, hopefully he/she'll at the least credit me for whatever is featured.
Maybe his profile is also stolen. :roll: