International Song Replacements

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

International Song Replacements

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Not sure whether I should put this under Video Games or Music, but I went with the former here, so correct me if I'm wrong, by all means.

I haven't played a Dragon Ball game yet, but am looking into a few potential ones right now. The ones that interest me the most currently are the ones based on the original Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure on GBA.
Dragon Ball Origins 1 and 2 on DS.
Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo on Wii.
Also, Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans on DS, which I know includes Piccolo Jr.

What I'd like to know is what music these games have and if anything was altered for the US releases in that department. I'm just curious here, as I have heard of a few cases of this happening with other games.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Re: International Song Replacements

Post by chaospunishment » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 am

Advanced Adventure has different title screen music but I don't remember if the in-game music was different.

Same with Origins but with the opening too.

Revenge of King Piccolo in US used BT2/3 music so the JP Version most likely had different music.

Attack of the Saiyans is exactly the same OST

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 am

chaospunishment wrote:Advanced Adventure has different title screen music but I don't remember if the in-game music was different.

Same with Origins but with the opening too.

Revenge of King Piccolo in US used BT2/3 music so the JP Version most likely had different music.

Attack of the Saiyans is exactly the same OST
So, none of these have any music from the series? Hmm, was hoping for some, but I'll get these anyway.

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:25 am

Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo also has Tenkaichi music in the Japanese version because it was a budget game.

Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure does have music of the series but it's exclusive to the Japanese edition. You can download it here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=22754
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:12 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo also has Tenkaichi music in the Japanese version because it was a budget game.
The game may have had a low budget, though no one outside of Media.Vision and Bandai Namco know, but it definitely wasn't a budget game. The MSRP in Japan was a whopping 7140yen (~$75) and a full price Wii release in North America.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:29 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo also has Tenkaichi music in the Japanese version because it was a budget game.

Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure does have music of the series but it's exclusive to the Japanese edition. You can download it here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=22754
I heard the Dragon Ball Origins duology had insert songs in it or something. Are they replaced in the US version? Also, those games have original scores, right? I can't seem to find much information on who did the music for those games...

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:The game may have had a low budget, though no one outside of Media.Vision and Bandai Namco know, but it definitely wasn't a budget game. The MSRP in Japan was a whopping 7140yen (~$75) and a full price Wii release in North America.
Those prices certainly aren't budgety but in terms of quality, no one can deny that it's a low budget release.
Valerius Dover wrote:I heard the Dragon Ball Origins duology had insert songs in it or something. Are they replaced in the US version? Also, those games have original scores, right? I can't seem to find much information on who did the music for those games...
Hm, Dragon Ball: DS I'll check it now... It does.

It has Makafushigi Adventure vocal and instrumental but the rest I don't recognise it from the series and I've been watching it, so imo it's safe to say Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure has more BGMs of the show than Dragon Ball: DS.

I've not played DB:DS but I'm thinking of picking it up although DB:AA still remains as my all-time favourite Dragon Ball game.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Advance Adventure has Makafushigi Adventure on the title screen, Romantikku Ageru yo for the ending credits and Mezase Tenkaichi for the fights against Jackie Chun and Tenshinhan.
(Also, the Muscle Tower level's music has a little nod to Moeru Heart de, but apparently either nobody noticed or it wasn't deemed important enough to change.)
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Oh, that's good to know. I've always been a fan of GBA games in general, so I'll probably like that one a lot, too.

So, if I understand this:

Advanced Adventure is mostly original music, with a few songs from the series that were replaced in the US release, which means no series music for me...

The Origins games have original music and insert songs. (But are the insert songs in the US version? And are they insert songs from the series?)

Revenge of King Piccolo has Tenkaichi music, even in Japan (which must've been new to them, I imagine)

Attack of the Saiyans has the same music....? Don't DS games sound lower in quality, at least?

"This sucks. Make more."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Oh, that's good to know. I've always been a fan of GBA games in general, so I'll probably like that one a lot, too.

So, if I understand this:

Advanced Adventure is mostly original music, with a few songs from the series that were replaced in the US release, which means no series music for me...

The Origins games have original music and insert songs. (But are the insert songs in the US version? And are they insert songs from the series?)

Revenge of King Piccolo has Tenkaichi music, even in Japan (which must've been new to them, I imagine)

Attack of the Saiyans has the same music....? Don't DS games sound lower in quality, at least?
1) Yep. No original music from the series in the international editions (EU/US).

2) DB:DS of authentic songs only really has Makafushigi Adventure vocal and instrumental because the rest are BGMs from the game.

3) Yeah for Japan it was somewhat new to them hearing that sort of music because their original Tenkaichi games had the synthesised scores by Shunsuke Kikuchi (ugh how I envy them!).

4) Attack of the Saiyans well let me check now... From the gamerip I have of it there's no music of the series (DBK) in it, it's all BGM from the game.

5) The audio quality on the DS games are like muffled but considering you're playing on it you won't be too bothered although if you're listening to it on a different device it may bug you.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:17 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:The game may have had a low budget, though no one outside of Media.Vision and Bandai Namco know, but it definitely wasn't a budget game. The MSRP in Japan was a whopping 7140yen (~$75) and a full price Wii release in North America.
Those prices certainly aren't budgety but in terms of quality, no one can deny that it's a low budget release.
That's not how video game development works. While I'll concede that big budget games likely have a higher chance of being quality than lower budget ones, bad games can still be made with a tonne of money being spent on them, and good games can be made on a shoestring budget. Revenge of King Piccolo is a good looking game for the hardware its on, and coupled with the high MSRP I don't believe its development was as cheap as you think it was. Reused music is nothing new in the realm of Dragon Ball video games. If the game was pilfering art assets from earlier games I'd be more inclined to believe it was a low budget thing.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 am

I liked Tenkaichi 1's International opening score more than the JAP, which I found was too quiet, and didn't really follow the action.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:51 pm

Dragon Ball: DS2 probably has a few original Dragon Ball songs because DS1 did too and the commercial featured the ED of DB sang by kids.

"Origins" is a better title but I've stuck to their original Japanese names for a long while so it's kinda hard to not call them it now.

Dragon Ball: DS1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HjUDyi9N5A
Dragon Ball: DS2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6JdK8KLkWU
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray