Differences Between "Budokai" 1 & 2?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Differences Between "Budokai" 1 & 2?

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:37 pm

I know Budokai 1's storymode excludes the Buu saga. Does that mean Budokai2 is excludes pre-Buu saga or what? In what ways are the games similar/different?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:36 pm

Budokai 2 has a different kind of Story Mode, called the Dragon World.

It plays like a boardgame, taking turns in moving characters. If one of your characters ends up on a space with a villain, you fight. Each board has a goal to complete. The story it follows is like a rewritten story of DBZ, i.e. Radditz and Nappa come together to find Dragon Balls, Freeza comes on Earth and then heads to Namek, etc. It does go all the way to the Buu arc.

Further differences are the cellshaded graphics and a slightly tuned fighting engine, to have features like input during Ultimate Attacks and shortcuts for beams (instead of Punch-Punch-Punch-Punch-Ki, you can use Toward-ki).
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:43 pm

B2 covers from the Saiya-jins up, though with changes.
1) Raditz and Nappa come to Earth together.
2) Vegeta doesn't come to Earth but Recoome, Ginyu, and Freeza do.
3) You fight Freeza and the two Ginyu's on Earth and Namek, and even though Namek is also the first time you meet Vegeta in the game he oddly knows who you are and seems to not like you.
4) Gero's got 'Saibarangers'.
5) You never fight Imperfect or Semi-Perfect Cell (Since neither are in the game).
6) You can't use Teen (Android Era) Gohan in story mode (I'm still WTFing on this).
7) Cell and Freeza keep coming back during the Buu saga boards.

That's the main ones I can think of story-wise. As I mentioned before, the lower forms of Cell and Freeza were dropped. (And the higher, as well. No Super Perfect or 100%). Of course, B2's got Cel-Shading to it for a graphical change. Let's see, the moves are no longer insant hits. You have to push buttons for some and charge others for added hits/power.

I think that's about everything....
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:41 pm

Interesting...

How does Budokai 1's storymode work? I'm asking because amazon.ca had a glitch and priced it at $34.99 instead of $17.99. B2 is en route via mail, so now that B1 is fixed I'm thinking of getting it.

Is there a cheat to play as Kuriza in the English B2?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm

B1's story mode is 3D cut scenes. CG on the Gamecube from what I've heard. It's neat to watch. Although it's almost disappointing not to see Freeza sliced in half.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:26 pm

Dayspring wrote:Interesting...

How does Budokai 1's storymode work? I'm asking because amazon.ca had a glitch and priced it at $34.99 instead of $17.99. B2 is en route via mail, so now that B1 is fixed I'm thinking of getting it.

Is there a cheat to play as Kuriza in the English B2?
As for Kuriza, no, he's not in the English versions.

As for B1's storymode, it's done through 3D cutscenes. Exceptionally well made ones too (especially compared to BT's). IIRC, the first time through you'll automatically be taken from one 'episdoe' to the next as you complete each one. Though, after you've cleared it, you'll have access to the episode list, including some extras (playing as Piccolo or Vegeta, and the what-ifs) that you couldn't play before.
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:24 pm

So you guys definitely recommend I pick up B1 even though I'll have B2? It's only $17.99 Canadian (exactly $15 US) for a new one.

Chaos Saiyajin
Advanced Regular

Post by Chaos Saiyajin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:29 pm

Budokai 1 is a far better game than 2, especially with the great cutscenes and story mode, sans the Majin Buu Saga. 2 has it's perks though; SSJ3, Majin Buu, easy to use ultimate moves...

Definatley get Budokai 1.
I really, really need to get back into the habit of posting.

Dominator
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dominator » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:49 pm

The Tournament mode in Budokai 1 mocks you, just about every character is the same, button response isn't very sharp. Budokai 2 is just more fun.
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/vendavaleste/]Carrion - The Dominator Fansite[/url]

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:01 pm

When people say that DBZ1 / Budokai is a "better game" than DBZ2 / Budokai 2, I really have to wonder what's going on.

If you're talking about a single-player story mode, it's entirely subjective, really. If you enjoy watching in-game-engine cut scenes of the show (which, presumably, you've already seen)... then that's the first game. If you want to try something different that tells its own story in a way... then that's the second game.

If you're talking about the actual GAME... being the gameplay, the fighting engine, etc... it's not really all that subjective. The 2nd game is, hands down, leagues ahead of the first game. It's less clunky, it's exponentially more responsive, it's faster, the characters have more differentiation between them...

When people stop saying DBZ2 "sucks" just because they didn't like the story mode, I'll be a happy fan. Newsflash... there's more to the games than a story mode you watch/read. You get to PLAY IT, too.

And thus ends my mini-rant :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:When people say that DBZ1 / Budokai is a "better game" than DBZ2 / Budokai 2, I really have to wonder what's going on.

If you're talking about a single-player story mode, it's entirely subjective, really. If you enjoy watching in-game-engine cut scenes of the show (which, presumably, you've already seen)... then that's the first game. If you want to try something different that tells its own story in a way... then that's the second game.

If you're talking about the actual GAME... being the gameplay, the fighting engine, etc... it's not really all that subjective. The 2nd game is, hands down, leagues ahead of the first game. It's less clunky, it's exponentially more responsive, it's faster, the characters have more differentiation between them...

When people stop saying DBZ2 "sucks" just because they didn't like the story mode, I'll be a happy fan. Newsflash... there's more to the games than a story mode you watch/read. You get to PLAY IT, too.

And thus ends my mini-rant :).
I'm actually asking about all of that. I just don't have the cash to buy all available games simply for collectability's sake, so I'm trying to see what games offer what. So far it looks like it'll be worth getting both, so I'm glad B1 is as cheap as it is.

I guess Sagas seems to be the only Gamecube game I won't get since the only thing that appeals to me is 2-player storymode. Everything else about it seems crappy, so I just can't spend $50 on it.

Budoukai 1 summary:
-Cut scenes outstanding.
-Fighting engine nowhere near as good as Budoukai 2, but as its own game still good?
-Storymode in Budoukai 1 is basically a typical fighter-game (with cut scenes) progressing in the order of the DBZ storyline from Radditz to end of Cell saga.
-Budokai 1 has What-ifs in its storymodes.

Is that all right? My question a bit earlier wasn't if Budoukai 1 was better than Budoukai 2, rather if you felt it would be a good investment that I should spend $18 to get Budoukai 1 since I'd be getting Budokai 2 regardless.

askani son
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by askani son » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:16 pm

The two games are definately different, so buying B1 aswell as B2 wouldn't be like buying an obsolete game. Each of the two offers something and yeah, I'd say Budokai 1 is definately a good investment :wink: .
"I'd rather die than fuse with you!"
"Um...Vegeta, you're already dead."

Socar15
Beyond Newbie

Post by Socar15 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:38 pm

I would have to say I enjoyed Budokai 2 more. B2 was slightly more of a challenge, and I definitely preferred the game play of B2 more than B1.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:25 pm

Well, first off, considering you're going after the Gamecube versions of these games, I must say that it's a hard call as to which game to get considering they're actually slightly different to the Ps2 games (which I've been collecting). Budokai 1 first off will give you the awesome cut-scenes, however the 3D graphics are basically stripped away into Dimps' first cell-shaded attempt, which I must say isn't very impressive, and I definitely prefer the Ps2 version's 3D graphics over the Cube's shoddy cell-shaded attempt. Basically, all you'll be getting worthwhile in Budokai 1 will be the cut-scenes story mode with the few fancy what-ifs (Vegeta going SSJ in the Saiyan saga, Frieza killing everyone on Namek, Cell merging with Krillin... now that is something you must see for yourself). The game-play for Budokai 1, though, really isn't much of anything to be in awe at. It's very repetitive, there's few ultimate finishers from fewer fighters, and the only unique characters not found in Budokai 2 are Zarbon, Dodoria, and Kid Gohan.

Now, when it comes to Budokai 2, it definitely has more replayability aspects, especially considering the cheat code on the Ps2 version can't get 100% capsules in the Cube version, meaning you'll have to get 100% the very long and old fashioned way. The story mode is kinda fun, not my favorite out of the 5 Ps2 games, but something that'll be a blast about 4 or 5 times playing through. However, be warned that with no cheat code in the Cube version that gets you 100%, you'll have to play Dragon World countless more times than we Ps2 buyers probably did. On the bright side of Budokai 2, the story mode is quite a stretch from the story we all know and love, definitely having its own original aspects. Also, the game-play is light-years ahead of Budokai 1's, much better ultimate finishers are developed, the fighting engine is slightly tweaked to the better, and the Gamecube "extras" will perhaps keep your eyes opened (Battle-damaged Goku skin, Cape/turban Piccolo skin, Sparking! capsules, night arenas, Cell Games Tournament rule, ect.).

When talking about Sagas now, considering Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi may never make it to the Cube, this is most certainly the only place you'll get to play as Bardock and Broly. The story mode is reminiscent of Budokai 1's (a Saiyan - Cell Games story mode), though the game-play is almost completely different to that of Budokais 1 and 2, as it branches from the pure fighter genre to an action-adventure/beat-'em up engine, combined with cut-scenes from the actual show rather than in-game made like the Budokais. It's said the frame rate on the Cube version is better than the Ps2's, so that's one advantage you'll get, and you can have a fun time playing out the Future of Trunks and original Yardrat story modes. It's the only place you'll find Mirai Gohan, it's definitely unique for a DBZ game, and you might even get a laugh out of a couple of the glitches, plus you can play the story out with a friend.
14 years later

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:01 am

A few key things about Budokai 2 that are missing:
-The only GC game to feature fusion, including the fact that it has Gotan and Yamhan, who are not in any other game.
-Majin Cell and Freezer. 'Nuff said.
When talking about Sagas now, considering Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi may never make it to the Cube, this is most certainly the only place you'll get to play as Bardock and Broly. The story mode is reminiscent of Budokai 1's (a Saiyan - Cell Games story mode), though the game-play is almost completely different to that of Budokais 1 and 2, as it branches from the pure fighter genre to an action-adventure/beat-'em up engine, combined with cut-scenes from the actual show rather than in-game made like the Budokais. It's said the frame rate on the Cube version is better than the Ps2's, so that's one advantage you'll get, and you can have a fun time playing out the Future of Trunks and original Yardrat story modes. It's the only place you'll find Mirai Gohan, it's definitely unique for a DBZ game, and you might even get a laugh out of a couple of the glitches, plus you can play the story out with a friend.
But you've got to realize that playing the Pendulum Room mode of Sagas takes forever, which is just wrong. It shouldn't take Mirai Gohan 30 minutes to beat Raditz. -_-
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:09 am

Budokai 1 first off will give you the awesome cut-scenes, however the 3D graphics are basically stripped away into Dimps' first cell-shaded attempt, which I must say isn't very impressive, and I definitely prefer the Ps2 version's 3D graphics over the Cube's shoddy cell-shaded attempt.
I like the light cel-shading of GC B1. It gives it a smoother, more anime-ish feel. Not as much so as B3, but still good. I plan on getting a GC and B1 (and 2) for it, even though I have the PS2 versions....
When people say that DBZ1 / Budokai is a "better game" than DBZ2 / Budokai 2, I really have to wonder what's going on.

True, the B2's fighting system is far more refined than B1's, but I just have more fun with B1 most of the time. Of course, I love watching the kick ass 3D cutscenes of B1. *shrug*
<Xyex> Good point.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:16 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:When talking about Sagas now, considering Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi may never make it to the Cube, this is most certainly the only place you'll get to play as Bardock and Broly.
SOLD! :P

Forgot about Bardock playability... $50 for Bardock? Now I know I'm obsessed. :oops:

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:14 am

Dayspring wrote:
Conan the SSJ wrote:When talking about Sagas now, considering Budokai 3 and Budokai Tenkaichi may never make it to the Cube, this is most certainly the only place you'll get to play as Bardock and Broly.

Forgot about Bardock playability... $50 for Bardock? Now I know I'm obsessed. :oops:
XD

Actually, there's a slight possibility that B3 will be appearing on the GC within the year. It's shown up as TBA at, IIRC, Gamecrazy. It's not much, but it's something. If it really is coming out there should be a formal announcement... soon. Atari may actually have been forced to push it back to correct the GH B3 issues.... or not. I don't know. But you should get Sagas anyway (once it's cheaper) just for the hell of it.
<Xyex> Good point.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:00 am

Dayspring wrote:

You may wanna look at the reviews Sagas has received. >_>; It wasn't all that enjoyable. Slow, clunky and the difficulty was insane. It isn't worth the $50. I'm pretty sure they also recently lowered the price on the game. o_o;

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:29 am

Tsukento wrote:
Dayspring wrote:

You may wanna look at the reviews Sagas has received. >_>; It wasn't all that enjoyable. Slow, clunky and the difficulty was insane. It isn't worth the $50. I'm pretty sure they also recently lowered the price on the game. o_o;
$49.99 Canadian. Woohoo. **Kicks the everybody-who-sells-it community**