"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" (PS4/XB1/PS3/360/PC) Official Th

Post by IGhostUlt » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:41 pm

Might as well wait for the goty edition lol

SSJ6Goku
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ6Goku » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:53 pm

Quebaz wrote:
Jaruka wrote: At the very least are we able to select maps in 1P vs COM?
Yes, as it uses the 3D camera with the target circle.
i wish the vs 2P had more maps. it looks like it might be a throw in mode

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:16 pm

SSJ6Goku wrote:i wish the vs 2P had more maps. it looks like it might be a throw in mode
Honestly, the way the camera works... it looks like you'd have the least amount of trouble playing someone else in the Tournament stage. The other maps with the random obstructions might cause problems.

The new Vegito gameplay shows it could work in the ROSAT tho.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Quebaz wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
Quebaz wrote:
Budokai 3 and Infinite World kinda did. Omega Shenron instead of Syn in Budokai 3 and GT Vegeta in Infinite World...unless the regular one had SSJ4 too, I'll take that back if he did.
In Budokai 3 they didn't separate Syn from Omega they just didn't have Syn, here they're separating the Freeza and Cell forms. And yes, Vegeta had SSJ4 in his non-GT version.
So I guess that is messed up, buuut..still doesn't negate my statement about all of Dimps games have characters that transform have the advantage(DAT x10 KAMEHAMEHA IN B3!). And as for the villain forms in general, whatever, I still don't care. Frieza's 100% form and Perfect Cell are the forms I play the most, though it's a bummer to not see Imperfect Cell, that's my third favorite form of Cell(Super Perfect>Perfect>Imperfect>LARVAE SHELL>Semi-Imperfect for me :lol:).
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:00 pm

I really hope they have the primitive Saiyans fur clothes as an option. I'd love to make one of them, a real Mad Max times savage with the power of a Super Saiyan

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:44 pm

Saiga wrote:Transformations in this case are handled far worse than they were in previous games, although I'm all for Gotenks and Gogeta not being temporary forms so that's nice.

I'd much rather in-game transformations for everyone, with those transformations just being less powerful for balance, and the ki drain being something that is still present but doesn't force you out of the form.
BT1 had the worse transformation system ever, aka none.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:00 am

Saimaroimaru wrote:
Saiga wrote:Transformations in this case are handled far worse than they were in previous games, although I'm all for Gotenks and Gogeta not being temporary forms so that's nice.

I'd much rather in-game transformations for everyone, with those transformations just being less powerful for balance, and the ki drain being something that is still present but doesn't force you out of the form.
BT1 had the worse transformation system ever, aka none.
I'm talking about previous Dimps' games. Dimps have never failed this hard before at handling transformations, and that's saying something since they've always had problems with how they've been handled.

But even if you're going to compare it to BT1, Xenoverse is almost the same. Only Super Saiyan 1 - 3 are an actual transformation system. Other transformations are just like BT1.

At least having no in-game transformations would allow starting as a Super Saiyan 2 and staying that way the entire match.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:21 am

It's just one of the sacrifices having to be made for gameplay, because it's not simply a set degree of stats. Because it's taking meals from the MMO table, Xenoverse has a kind of leveling system where you must gain experience to make your character stronger. In previous DBZ games, transformations gave a very specific increase to ability that never changed. In Xenoverse, your characters abilities will change. And even some of the villains as well, perhaps depending on settings or in part due to interference in the story due to the likes of Towa and Mira.

It's only a slight bummer. I don't feel Dimps is dropping the ball on them, because we're getting so much more out of this. Besides, going from Base Freeza to Final Form was more of a chore in the previous games anyway. In fact, in most of them, Freeza never gained any health bonuses until he hit Final Form. And Cells were always marginal. I believe this setup was done because of how the new system works, as Players will at most get two transformations during combat, and only Saiyans will really have any physical change.

With Freeza he just goes 100% and gets bulkier. Cell has Perfect which just gives him a SS2'ish battle aura. Yes people will miss having previous forms for these characters, but we're not exactly missing much. I mean we got those forms for most other DBZ games in the last 15yrs and the only reason anyone ever started off in Base Form was just to benefit from regaining health by transforming. And that's not necessary anymore because we have an Item system that allows you to restore health in battle by consuming items.

If people want to play as Base Freeza and Imperfect Cell, there's like 10 other games you can do that in. I'm still just happy I can make my own character that isn't a bland saiyan knock-off.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:41 am

Zelvin wrote:It's just one of the sacrifices having to be made for gameplay, because it's not simply a set degree of stats. Because it's taking meals from the MMO table, Xenoverse has a kind of leveling system where you must gain experience to make your character stronger. In previous DBZ games, transformations gave a very specific increase to ability that never changed. In Xenoverse, your characters abilities will change. And even some of the villains as well, perhaps depending on settings or in part due to interference in the story due to the likes of Towa and Mira.

It's only a slight bummer. I don't feel Dimps is dropping the ball on them, because we're getting so much more out of this. Besides, going from Base Freeza to Final Form was more of a chore in the previous games anyway. In fact, in most of them, Freeza never gained any health bonuses until he hit Final Form. And Cells were always marginal. I believe this setup was done because of how the new system works, as Players will at most get two transformations during combat, and only Saiyans will really have any physical change.

With Freeza he just goes 100% and gets bulkier. Cell has Perfect which just gives him a SS2'ish battle aura. Yes people will miss having previous forms for these characters, but we're not exactly missing much. I mean we got those forms for most other DBZ games in the last 15yrs and the only reason anyone ever started off in Base Form was just to benefit from regaining health by transforming. And that's not necessary anymore because we have an Item system that allows you to restore health in battle by consuming items.

If people want to play as Base Freeza and Imperfect Cell, there's like 10 other games you can do that in. I'm still just happy I can make my own character that isn't a bland saiyan knock-off.
Totally agree with all of this. People are definitely entitled to their own opinions regarding their distaste for the transformation system, but I am fine with it. The system adds a whole new dynamic to gameplay while still keeping every thing fairly balanced.

I would've like to have Freeza and Cell's other forms in for CPU battles, but leaving them out is not a big deal to me at all. Freeza' s second and third forms seemed more like plot devices to show how powerful he was than actually being useful in the manga/anime. When you think if him, you think of his final forms. Cell's other forms were definitely more useful, but again, perfect Cell is the apex of the character.

For those of you who aren't happy, test the game out first and see if you actually like what Dimps has attemted. All I heard was praise when Dimps' involvement was announced, so give them a chance to execute. Appreciate the fact that you have a developer willing to try new things instead of just rehashing the same ol stuff we've been playing with over a decade. And if it doesn't work out, then it is what it is, but at least they tried Something different with the benefit of the players in mind
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:02 am

I got to play the game at Gamestop on the PS4 and the game is a lot of fun. Besides the camera taking some time getting used to, this is the 3D DBZ game that I've been waiting for since 2005. I think the roster size bitching is stupid. I think the roster size is fine as long if the gameplay is good. Who cares if there's no 100+ characters, the game should be fun nevertheless.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 am

dualist wrote:For those of you who aren't happy, test the game out first and see if you actually like what Dimps has attemted. All I heard was praise when Dimps' involvement was announced, so give them a chance to execute. Appreciate the fact that you have a developer willing to try new things instead of just rehashing the same ol stuff we've been playing with over a decade. And if it doesn't work out, then it is what it is, but at least they tried Something different with the benefit of the players in mind
And ya know it's not just that either. They're giving us a whole new Story. Sure the premise of altering time isn't anything new, but Xenoverse is entirely dedicated to a new re-imagining of the DBU and isn't just the same same line of events at the same water park every single time at every single family vacation. Heck the only thing the companies could tempt us with for their other game releases was "What If" stories and new characters. Beyond that the actual story mode never changed. It was just the same series of events we always knew and never really did anything different.

Even some of the "What Ifs" weren't that good, though some did have a certain degree of thought to them. Like the one where Raditz hits his head like Goku did and loses his memories and befriends the Z-fighters. He trains with them and tries to defend the Earth. And when his memories started returning, he had a real internal struggle between his Self that he was before and his new identity and memories that he had in the Now. His dark Saiyan nature and ruthlessness fighting with his new found enjoyment and love for life on Earth and the friends he has made that don't try to kill him if he screws up.

It wasn't executed very well, but it was still an interesting arc for a "What if". The biggest issue with those is that they're not very long and were made as little more than a gimmick to sell the game. Which is why Xenoverse takes the gold by making the entire DBZ history into one big "What If" by having new elements and even the Player interact with history to deal with these incursions, and there's no telling how much these will actually affect the future or other alternate timelines.

This very premise can lead to a near endless flow of DLC content and additional missions, because it can give us truckloads of "What If" scenarios that could actually affect the timelines and character development. And even if Dimps doesn't go that far with it this time around, any mistakes they make with Xenoverse will be learned from and adapted in the event they ever make a continuation of the game. Or even possibly if they use this as the building blocks for recreating Dragon Ball Online with an entirely new engine, new systems and an ever-expanding story that builds off what may have occurred within Xenoverse.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:17 am

I think the roster is actually pretty good and gives us the most important characters. I would of liked to see Dabura in there and Future Gohan, but they are often characters to get the shaft in the first game in the series. Will be interesting to see what a sequel brings to the table. I think I'll be playing with my created character the most anyway and aside from lack of Saiyan hair options, I am very happy with the options given to us there.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:50 am

What console is everyone looking to get Xenoverse on? Just wondering.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:54 am

nato25 wrote:I think the roster is actually pretty good and gives us the most important characters. I would of liked to see Dabura in there and Future Gohan, but they are often characters to get the shaft in the first game in the series. Will be interesting to see what a sequel brings to the table. I think I'll be playing with my created character the most anyway and aside from lack of Saiyan hair options, I am very happy with the options given to us there.
I agree, the roster seems to be a lot of fun and it'll be good to use God Goku, Bills and Whis as I don't really feel that Battle of Z scratched my itch to utilise such powerful characters. On the issue of Saiyan hair I have to agree however, assuming that we can go to Super Saiyan 2, I guess every hair is actually three in a sense. It's great though, I've not been so excited for a Dragonball Z game since I was a fair bit younger.

The problem with Dragonball Z games is that due to their often yearly cycle every game is really just a small improvement on the last which means that we could buy Xenoverse for the next few years but with larger rosters, more options and minor gameplay changes. Not that I wont buy it.
Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:What console is everyone looking to get Xenoverse on? Just wondering.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=28988

Here's a thread on this, Playstation 4 is far ahead at the moment.
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:05 am

Yeah, the problem is almost exclusively with the development model. As of recent, we basically get two options:

Option 1
-The game they develop is just bad.
-No one really buys it, so sales are low.
-They develop a completely new game, but fall prey to the same issues due to short development period.

Option 2
-The game they develop actually looks pretty good, but it has flaws that upset some people.
-While they like the idea of the game, sales remain low because everyone expects a bigger and better sequel.
-They assume no one likes the game because sales are low.
-They develop a completely new game, but fall prey to the same issues due to short development period.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:12 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Yeah, the problem is almost exclusively with the development model. As of recent, we basically get two options:

Option 1
-The game they develop is just bad.
-No one really buys it, so sales are low.

Option 2
-The game they develop actually looks pretty good, but it has flaws that upset some people.
-While they like the idea of the game, sales remain low because everyone expects a bigger and better sequel.
-They assume no one likes the game because sales are low.
This is why XENOVERSE needs are support guys! If not then we won't get the sequel. We have a good thing going here lets do our part and support this release.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:12 am

As far as WT being the only local multiplayer stage, didn't we see a presentation back in the early promotional stages of a Standard Goku vs Vegeta local match, and it was in the Mountains arena?
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:14 am

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:What console is everyone looking to get Xenoverse on? Just wondering.
Leaning toward PC, but waiting until the last minute to have as much information as possible. Also we have a thread with a tally of numbers if you want to quickly get an idea of the most popular console for this here.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 am

Careless Saiyajin wrote:This is why XENOVERSE needs are support guys! If not then we won't get the sequel. We have a good thing going here lets do our part and support this release.
Kinda agreeing here. Not going to tell anyone who doesn't want the game to go out and buy it. If you're entertaining the idea of the purchase and are only holding back because of some relatively minor issues you think could be fixed in a sequel, I'd suggest considering the purchase a bit more to ensure that we could actually see that sequel come to light so long as you have the disposable income. Don't waste money you don''t have for the sake of a DB game or anything. :lol:
Big Momma wrote:As far as WT being the only local multiplayer stage, didn't we see a presentation back in the early promotional stages of a Standard Goku vs Vegeta local match, and it was in the Mountains arena?
We saw a video on that stage with a lot of discussion on why there wasn't a health bar for the second character. I don't think we ever found out if that was a local or wi-fi match though. Not even sure how far along the game was at that point though. The tournament stage might not have even been finished? xD
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:20 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Big Momma wrote:As far as WT being the only local multiplayer stage, didn't we see a presentation back in the early promotional stages of a Standard Goku vs Vegeta local match, and it was in the Mountains arena?
We saw a video on that stage with a lot of discussion on why there wasn't a health bar for the second character. I don't think we ever found out if that was a local or wi-fi match though. Not even sure how far along the game was at that point though. The tournament stage might not have even been finished? xD
Ah, okay. My memory was a little fuzzy (It seems like so long ago, haha). But that's a good point, the Mountain stage may have been all they had.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog